I have had persistent throat pain since May and finally had my 1st throat culture done at the end of August that came back positive for Staph Aureus. My ENT prescribed me augmentin and the pain seemed to go away and then come back a few weeks later and I was back at the ENT for another throat culture that was positive again for staph. He gave me levaquin at that time (beginning of November). After taking that for 10 days, the pain that I had been feeling subsided on the left side and now I had a new pain on the right side. I had 2 subsequent throat cultures in mid-November and mid-December that were negative though I still had pain on my right side. I went back to the ENT at the end of December and he said I should consider a CT scan of my throat and did another culture at that time just to be safe. This last throat culture came back positive again for S. Aureus. He prescribed me clindamycin which I am currently taking. I am unsure if the infection has ever really gone or away or if I have somehow managed to re-infect myself and my doctor says it's too difficult to say. I told him that I thought I should hold off on the CT scan until I finished this round of antibiotics. If I was still in pain, then I would do the scan, if not, then skip the scan and see how it goes. He said that if the pain is there and I do the scan, I may want to consider having my tonsils out at that time (which I would like to avoid at 30 years of age). I have also noticed that I have back pain in the middle of my back that he thinks is unrelated. I went to the eye doctor the other day b/c I noticed a blind spot in my peripheral vision and my eye dr. told me that he could see some pigmentation in my retina. He told me it could have been caused by inflamation, infection, or injury. My ENT said he doesn't think that is related to the staph in my throat either. Has anyone else experienced anything like this or have any advice? Does this seem like reasonable treatment given the past history or should I seek out a new physician? TIA.

so did u ever know what was going on with you?

I too have the exact problem.both in the throat and eye .Is that inter related ..wht you did ??

i am here for u. not long ago i came here looking for the about the same answers. pain in my throat swollen tonsiles ear hurts and pain was so bad.seen a post that said black mold.fungus. started reading up on that cause you r right the pain is the worst i have ever felt.so i went through my house and yep black mold. i looked that up. it says i have a fungus.for the pain the doctor gave me lora tabs didnt even faze it.so i tried hot tea with lemon and honey.,it went away right away i am talking 1st 10 minutes all the pain was gone.now for the bad news.the fungus might never go away,they can give you stuff to kill most of it,hopefully all of it.but sometimes it all doesnt get killed.different things you have to do.mold/fungus like dark damp places your body is like a castle to it.you have to wash your nose out a bunch,get your head to dry upafter draining as much as possible out while taking fungus pills.pleae look it up on your pc.plus go to doctor and get tested and the meds. hopefully you wont need surgery.hope this helps you and anyone that reads it god bless. AND PLEASE FOR THE PAIN TRY HOT TEA WITH LEMON AND HONEY. Hot drinks kill the pain.cool drinks sooth the throat.

Staph aureus is something that naturally lives in the throat and sinus.  It was likely grown from your throat culture, but probably wasn't the problem.  If you are old or immunocompromised or have repeated tissue infections then yes it should be treated as a pathogen.  But otherwise it should have been considered by your doctor as normal flora for your throat, and not treated with drugs.  This is how resistant organims are made.  Many things can cause a sore throat.  Most throat infections are actually viral.  Other causes of throat pain include allergies, dry mouth, and snoring at night.

My son was just diagnosed today with the same thing in the back on his throat only saying that his right side hurts. His dr. prescribed him a 10 day antibiotic. I am worried sick about him because he has asthma, eczema and allergies which can cause other medical problems as well. Has your symptoms gone away yet?

I have had chronic throat pain for years (usually on my left tonsil only) so severe it has reqiured pain medication. The doctor tests me for strep but it comes back negative every time. I was also a dental hygienist (30 years ago) long before we knew too much about aerosol & air bourne infections. We did not wear masks to protect our nasal & oral mucous membranes from all kinds of "germs" (i.e. - bacterium & virususes) I do know for sure that I was inoculated with the "cold sore virus" (i.e. - Herpes Simplex I) while working as a dental assistant (pre-college). I also believe I am a MRSA or Staph Aureus Carrier via the same mode of transmission via indirect patient contact. The doctors are very reluctent to consider this as a posibillity. I don't think they want to believe I know my own body better than they do. I will continue my quest to see if I am a MRSA or Staph Aureus Carrier but cannot seem to convience any doctor to run the simple test to confirm my belief's. I will seek out an Infectious Disease Dotor who will confirm or rebuke my theory. If I can get an proactive doctor to order a Nasal or Throat Culture on me & it confirms my theory, then that will explain the mirad of "diverse, misdiagnosed and secodary infections" caused by this culprit over the past three decades (chronic cyclic fevers, unexplained joint & muscle pain, pneumonia, UTI - all misdiagnosed as possible mennigitis, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, actue viral syndrome, vaginal-cuff infection causing septicemia, to name a few). I have been suffering from health issues for too long. Is there anyone (i.e. - doctor) who actually cares enough to listen to my theory is my final question? Wish me luck.

P.S. - if a knowledgable and interested doctor does happen to read this, I would certainly be open to being a case study so I can put to rest my chronic infections and fevers and finally get some proper medical treatment.

Yes staph is naturally in the body but I have to had repeated staph infection in my airway and throat and it is possible and is very hard to get rid of!!! I have been to internist and specialist and this is a real problem, but is very rare and is very dangerous because you can become septic in hours!! My next course of action is IV antibiotics...

Have you been tested for lyme disease? It can cause all these things.

I hope you will read this. I am 30 years old. I started having chronic throat pin when I was 13. The pain was there 24x7 all year long. I got my tonsils removed when I was 23. Things improved slowly, but the chronic pain is back. NOBODY knows what to do. It is ALWAYS triggered by cold weather. ALWAYS.