I first started getting a sore throat in October 1999 and after about 12 months I saw my doctor who couldn't believe that it was an infection so I brought in a specimen and he sent it to pathology, which came back positive for staph aureus. It's never severe but with it comes the blood streaked mucus. The mucus comes from the back of the throat and it comes away as a sheet of thick sticky dark(from blood, not much) and green/yellow colouring. I sometimes get say 4 weeks of no symptoms but it always returns. Most productive in the morning but can happen anytime of day depending on how run down I'm feeling.

Last year I was on 6 consecutive courses of antibiotics for a chest infection(I'm prone to pneumonia) and didn't have the throat symptoms for 3 months but of course it came back. Now 2 of my three teenagers have it and have for a few years but they're healthier than me and don't seem to experience the symptoms as chronically as I do.

Could this be one of those strains that are resistant to antibiotics? How can we have this for so long? I understand that some people carry this bacteria in their nose and throats without symptoms. Anyone experienced the same or have any ideas? Thanks in advance. :-)

was this a staph infection that you had in the throat?
did u have to go to the hospital and be put on IV?
does the medication that they put you on work properly so you don't have to go to the hospital for the IV?

I've experienced the same recurrent staph infections in my throat for the past 3 years. The ENT took a culture and indicated it was the more common staph infection, not the highly resistant strain. This last bout I went to my family doctor, hoping maybe he might have a different explanation for the cause. He prescribed the same antibiotic - Avelox (because I told him it worked temporarily the last time) Mucinex 1 pill twice a day to thin mucous; Begin using "Nielwed" saline irrigation pump daily to keep sinuses cleansed, drink lots of water, and to take 1000mg a day of Vitamin C. He said all of the above are proven to help with chronic throat infections with the exception of the Vit. C. So give it a try, Iam, I don't know what else to do! :-D

This is very hard to read. I have staph in my throat and lungs. I also have been coughing up this blood for the past 4 1/2 years. A specialist finally found the staph, after no one would believe me and told me it was all in my head!! I also had cancer, and have chronic fatigue syndrome. So my immune system is compromised to say the least. I'm on my second course of antibiotics and my doctor is surprised that I needed more. I'm scared now that it may never go away... I'm only 19...

I hav been suffering under recurring Staphylococcus for 5 years. Tried antibiotics but they destroyed my digestion system and made me even more sick (candida).

The only way for me to get rid of staphylococcus long term was and still is by taking 5 homeopathic granulas per day of staphylococcus 9ch.

Try it, it is not expensive and it really worked but you need to do it constantly, as soon as you stop, it will come back after 2 months.

Good luck

Hi there, I'm really interested to read about the homeopathic treatment, is it still working for you?