Hi! New here. Been reading posts for weeks. Just had my surgery on Monday Oct 19 2009. Released from Hosp on Wed, Oct 21st.
Had level 3 acdf with hardware. Weird plating though. Not the (normal) kind. Doc showed me the plating, but after surgery was x-rayd and asked to see it. it looks like 3 big x's. I thought it was going to look like the usual you see on other people. Any who...not a concern. I've read were others have gone back to work in 2 weeks some 6 weeks, and others months. I'm an industrial mechanic at a large paper mill company. I wasn't injured on the job. just degenerative. I'm on FMLA and have been since Sept 15th. I also am getting disability 300 per week from my company. not what im used to, but every bit helps. I dont really have a question, just insight, and maybe some insight from others as to how long it took them to get back to labor intensive work. My boss said he needs me back at 100% not 90%. Said "take time, take care of yourself" But...He cant keep my job open forever, and he thinks it would be foolish for me to try and comeback in just a few weeks. My doc says 2-4 weeks and youll be back. Does he not understand what I do, or do I just not understand what he knows? I move motors, repair hydraulics, change 200 lb bearings, weld over my head, etc... It's in noway a lite job. I think i'm just afraid, that if I go back to early, i'll be making a mistake, But then again, what is early? No answers here. No answers from docs, and yes everyone of us IS different. I'm in great health, or was. Im 40 years old. Arrgh. think this turned into a vent. Sorry. Feel free to juxtapose, comment, or if by chance you have some bit of wisdom, please feel free to repond. Thanks guy & gals.

Well, after my operation 1 week ago today, I can tell you that most of all my pain has subsided. Went to the doc today, had xrays, and hes says things look great. Im out of the aspen collar, taking no pain meds (thank god), and despite a few aches here and there I do feel wonderfully great. Doc says give it one more week and if no pain or strange feelings, he will release me back to my job as a maintenance mechanic. Now i know this sounds early to some of you reading this, but then again, we all recuperate differently, and some of us have plates, or cages, and our lifestyles are different. I guess maybe I'm just lucky not to have had a (bad) experience. I will take it easy the first few weeks back and ease into my work. But if I had to do it all over again? YOU BET I WOULD!

3Level ACDF With Titanium cross plating floats. 1 inch incision. 5 hr surgery. Each plate is separate to give more flexibility and quicker recovery times. This was my orthopedic surgeons explanation of the (weird) plating. Hes one of the best in metro atlanta. Just an opinion. Just wanted to provide some incite to those going through or recuperating from this. hope it was useful.

I had my L4 and L%5 discs removed and fused in June 09. I am also an IMT at a cement plant. I FEEL YOUR PAIN. It's a real dilemma about whether or not to try to go back to work. My company also says 100%, no less. Well, I wasn't 100% when I was at work before. Haven't been 100% in 9 years when my back started giving me problems. My STD just ran out and now I'm starting LTD. Went to the plant a couple of months ago to see friends and talk to mgt about coming back. I also do some elect work and they pay me an extra 1.00/hr for it. They wouldn't even let me come back into the elect shop for a short time . With the economy what it is they have cut back the workforce to just 32 hrs/ wk. I figured with my LTD @ 60%, 32 hrs was only going to net me $100 more per week but my travel expenses would cut into that some too. The wife and I talked it over and decided it's better to just stay home and struggle by. I really feel that my company would just terminate me if I did come back. They have said they don't want to be responsible for me getting hurt. I know I could go back to any of my past jobs and be fine but I'm not moving again. So I am polishing my resume' , searching the net and classifieds hoping something will turn up. Good luck to ya!!