I was on Yasmin for well over a year, my skin was perfect whilst on it, but it was starting to make me depressed and I wanted a break from it so I stopped taking it about 4 months ago. I've still not yet had a proper period (only one light one), and I've lost a few pounds, but I keep breaking out in horrible spots!

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this when coming off the pill (particularly this one) and if so how long it took for your skin to get back to normal!

My skin is really getting me down and making me depressed now, I'm considering going back on it just for the clear skin but being on that pill makes me depressed, I can't win.

I'm on antibiotics called Minocycline for the acne but they're not helping much if at all.

Any help/advice/info would be much appreciated!

hi

i have just stopped taking yasmin and have broken out a little, just wondering how long your skin took to become clear again?

Thanks!

Yasmin actually helped me having a clear and softer skin, even if I believed that this is just a myth. My biggest concern was will I gain a weight, but it seems that Yasmin is a birth control that doesn't make you gain weight, at least in my case. So, when the time comes to stop using those pills, I was consulting anyone who I could on how to prevent acne to show up. You need to prepare your skin on this. When you are about to get off the pills, you should start with anti-acne treatment plan 2-3 months before you finish taking birth control. I know that this is maybe a long period, but you know proximally when you will stop using those. This way you can prepare your body and get it as healthy and balanced as possible and this is the only way that can help you maintain your skin under the control. 

Hey--
I went off Yaz about 9 months ago and started breaking out after being off of it for about 3-4 months. For the past 4-5 months, it has only gotten worse. It's now much worse than it ever was when I was a teenager, when I originally went on the pill. I've been using benzoyl peroxide for the past few months and it has done nothing. I'm finally going back to the doctor and begging to go back on the pill. My advice is-don't let this sit!! I wish I had done something right away, when the pimples started popping up. At the rate that my face is getting worse, I have a feeling it will not be getting "back to normal," I think my body is convinced that "on the pill" is normal. Maybe try a different pill, there are tons out there with different drugs that do basically the same thing for your body, but maybe won't make you depressed. I definitely sympathize with you, this sucks!

Hi was on Yasmine, then Ocella (the generic) for about 7 years. Went off it about 5 months ago and just recently I started breaking out more than I have in my entire life - I always had great skin and now I feel as if my skin (even all over my body) is really oily and slick. My cycle is also incredibly irregular and I am moody and irritable. Not fun, but Yasmine was giving me chest pain that worried me. I'm just using tea tree oil and hoping the skin clears up. Any advice besides chemical adult acne treatments?

Hi girl,
I am so sorry about your situation. I myself am in the exact same one. I have been on birth control for about 6 years and just decided to go off it due to irritability and mood swings. So far I have been off it for about four months and although my mood swings are pretty much gone my skin looks worse than it has in my entire life. I have been on two different types of antibiotics (minocycline and doxycycline) and a topical regimen but it seems to just keep getting worse. I know that my acne is strictly due to my hormones trying to regulate themselves and although I would love to wait it out I simply cannot. I am starting a new job next month and the last thing I need is to be covered in acne. I decided to call my doctor today and go back on Yasmin. I know this is probably not what you want to hear(it's definitely the last thing I wanted to do) but I am truly desperate and just wanted to let you know my experience with it. I hope your skin is on the up side though seeing as you have been off it for far longer than I have. I wish I could have been stronger and stuck it out like you but acne is one of the most despressing things in life. I'll check back and let you know if my skin gets better due to the yasmin! Good luck and hold your head up :-)

Hi There!

I was on Yasmin for around 8 years and have recently decided to come off it to give my body a break from the constant hormones.

Ive gained incredible ammounts of weight since (around 12lbs!), had the worst mood swings and my skin has been terrible, almost as bad as when I was a teenager.

I really considered going back onto the pill, but decided to stick at it and see if things improve.

I researched a hell of alot to help find ways to combat the side effects, and found a few useful forums on the internet.

Iv been taking skin, hair and nail tablets, which have been a god send, as well as evening primrose oil capsules which are meant to help cure hormone imbalance.

Not sure whether its just a coincidence, BUT things really have seemed to improve.

Still waiting for my period though :-( hoping that things will improve lots more after that finally comes too.

The only advice I can give on top of what ive said is just dont stress too much, because it'll only make things worse, watch what you eat, take vitamin supplements, regular exercise also helps your skin clear up from the sweating! ..and finally just stick it out. I'm sure things will improve sooner or later :-)

Good luck!!

hi,

i am currently on yasmin since for at least six years and currently still using the bc, before i had terrible acne that made me feel really depressed, i am not ready to start a family as yet but now i am wondering what will happen when i stop taking it, maybe my face will break out in acne and my period may not come back if ever so now i am wondering what i have gotten myself into when i do come come of the pill but one thing that has remained positive over the six years is that i have really beautiful skin since on yasmin so what is to be expected? i think i may dread it!!

Hi folks, I've been birth control for most of my adult life; first Select for about 9 years and then Yasmin for about 2 years. I went off Select after breaking up with my common-law husband of eight years to give my body a bit of a "break". I went through something called post-pill amnoria (sp?) where I didn't get my period for 9 months, and went through some body changes such as weight loss and acne break-outs. However, I also noticed that I no longer suffered from depression and regained my libido; both side-effects of having artificial hormones in my body (as a result my body was naturally producing very little estrogen, causing a lot of my symptoms). As my horomones became more in sync (I've always been a bit irregular) most of my acne cleared up. After beng off the pill for abut a year and a half, and becoming more sexually, my doctor put me on Yasmin, mainly beause it had a lower level of estrogen than Select, in hopes that my body would continue to make it's own estrogen. At first, I felt fine on the pills. However, after about a year I started to get killer migranes, anxiety attacks, and often felt strung-out and anxious. I was also dealing with pre-cancerous cells on my cervix and uterus. So, made the decision to come off Yasmin after the better part of two years. Within a month my headache were gone and my anxiety issues almost disappeared. I felt "normal" again. Plus, I was having a period on my own, albeit irregularly. I'm in month 7 now, and the acne started to be an issue after about 3 months. It's quite bad now and I have been using cleaners such as cetaphyl, sulfur soap, salsilic acid, and the Dove Beauty Bar. I also take fish oil, which is supposed to help, and have been much more careful about my diet and regularly exercise. I will be looking to add a zinc suppliment as well, I think, which was recommended by a doctor. The different soaps help marginally to date, but I've more or less accepted that the acne won't go away until my hormones level out. As of last month, my periods stopped again (definately NOT pregnant) and am going through a similar phase as when I went off Select. I am hopeful that by year end, my hormones will be more sorted and the worst of the acne behind me. I sympathize with you all. I am in my early thrities, and having blemish-free skin for the majority of the time on pills was lovely. Even as a teenager, my skin was never too badly impacted by acne. Now, it's a lot of deep rooted blemishes on my face, neck and back, which I know are directly linked to my hormones. All I can think is to be a bit patient and try out the vitamins. The sulfur soap and Dove bar seem to be helping a bit, and hopefully the zinc can help as well. It's frustrating, but I have more less resolved to accept that this will take some time.

I was using Yasmin for hormonal balance and decided I was tired of the diuretic effect of waking up at night as well as approaching 50 felt it was time. I am a runner and noticed I was running much easier off of Yasmin. I was fine for three months then the acne hit and I had horrible anxiety attacks which I'm still trying to get through. My dermo put me on Spironolactone and I hate it. It's a diuretic for high blood pressure that was found to help acne. I stopped taking it since I was tired of feeling sick to my stomach. I'm thinking this acne thing will last a year or so until my hormones level out, if that's possible approaching menopause!

I would never normally comment on these kind of things BUT I felt exactly the same way as you about 4 months ago. I came off Yasmin in summer 2013 and after 3 months I gave up because of terrible skin hair headaches etc. I came off Yasmin again in May 2014 hoping to try for a baby and had an absolute nightmare for at least 6 months. I tried so many things. Number one...time. Now my skin is absolutely fine, theoccasional issue but nothing to worry about so that is 8 months it took to normalise. I used BIODERMA SEBIA skin wash which really helped also BENZAC cream was a god send. I also took zinc supplements for a while which also helped I think.
DO NOT GO BACK ON IT. It will end. In the mean time don't touch the spots at all, just put on BENZAC cream, drink loads of water and try zinc. Also be patient.
No one else notices the spots like you do trust me.

Hope this is reassuring, it is not all doom and gloom like you will read on here :) keep smiling.

Hi ladies, I also suffered with awful skin having come off yasmin after 10 years. I was determined not to go back on it although the temptation was hard to resist as my acne was so bad. Going in to work was pretty tough but you just have to battle through it! I tried numerous topical treatments from my doctor and in the end differin cream and zindaclin seemed to help as well as epsom salt baths, and clinique anti blemish solutions to get rid of all the excess oil. It did take 18 months for my cycles, and my skin to get more balanced. My skin is not as perfect as it was on yasmin, but I am so glad i stopped, and stuck with it. It did feel like it was never going to get better but trust me, it will. STICK WITH IT!

I'm experiencing exactly the same thing after taking Yasmin for 6 years. The ache started about 2 months after I stopped taking Yasmin and my skin became worse than it has ever been. My forehead was the worst area as it seemed to be constantly covered in a thin layer of oil no matter how many times I washed my face. It was really starting to affect my self-confidence and nothing seemed to help. I've now had the achne for about a month and after looking online for advice I've finally found a skincare routine that is slowly but surely clearing up my skin. I'm using Clean & Clear advantage oil control cream wash at least twice a day and a Dead Sea purifying clay mask a couple of times a week. As well as this I'm using Maybelline dream matte mouse and Maybelline matte maker to absorb any excess oil. This routine has really made a difference to my skin in a short space of time and I hope it can help some more of you too :)

I don't normally comment on these type of things but I went through exactly the same problem. After being on Yasmin for 1.5 years I decided to stop having done some research. I would get really bad migraines, anxiety attacks, and insomnia. I got my period back straight away but my skin started breaking out on the cheeks and became generally very oily. I have always had perfect skin, even as a teenager and it really bothered me.

I have found a couple of things that really helped clear it out - baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Be careful with these if you have dry skin and make sure you dilute the vinegar with water. Use baking soda with water as a paste and leave for 15-20 minutes. I use either coconut oil or organ oil after. I only use natural products. My skin is almost back to normal. I have also been drinking ACV for 3 years and does miracles for your overall health.

DO NOT GO BACK ON IT. It will take time for the hormones to balance but poisoning yourself is not an option. It can lead to cancer and infertility. I hope this helps

Hi. i have exactly same situation with you . I was on Yasmin for over a 2 years and my skin got perfect from it.
But i didn't want to take it too long so i stopped 6 months ago. However right after i stopped taking pills, i got horrible acne again. It made me so much stressed and depressed. and now i start to take Yasmin again because i don't want to have this skin anymore. Now it's been 6 weeks i back on pill, my skin is way better and getting clear like before. I really wanna wonder how long i have to take these pills..