simple as this, anyone ever taken adderall (im not on them, i just got a few from a friend) the next couple of days i had a bloody stool and its been a week since i stopped using adderall and im still having bloody stool. it stopped for a few days but then happened again. I can't find too much info on adderall (amphetamines) and blood in stools. if anyone has had this happen or not. I want to say i probably damaged my stomach lining or maybe intestinal trac. the blood is bright red and looks like its really fresh so i dont know if it would be an ulcer or what?!

Chances are it is a polyp/tear if it is bright red. I would also talk to your doctor about Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis, especially if the blood does not go away/polyp does not heal within a week or so.

I'm trying to contact the person who had the question about adderall & bloody stools?

My husband just noticed today bright red blood in his stools..but non on the tissue. He has been taking adderall for about a month now..

Does anyone know anything about this? if this is something colon cancer related?

Please help!

I am on adderall as well, and have been experiencing bloody stools.

My dad is a doctor and he says that I'm constipated and that I need to eat more fiber to make it go away, but I'm not sure since I'm trying to and it's still occuring.

Maybe this is some symptom of adderall? If anyone has any information on this, please email me at ******
Thanks!

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

i had a large amount of blood in my stool this afternoon, very scary.

i am also on adderoll, and thought it may have something to do with it.
I was thinking, since having a bloody stool can result from ulcers or other problems in the stomach & digestive tract, that adderoll may somehow be the cause.

PLEASE let me know if you have any further information

blood that has been digested is dark and tarry. bright red blood can be because of constipation &/or hemmoroids- adderall can cause constipation. hemmoroids can bleed quite a lot, explaining large amounts of bright red blood, as well as blood on the stool, as the stool causes the hemmoroid to rupture. dark tarry blood in stool, however, really should be a sign to see your dr, as is the bright red if more fluid & fiber doesn't help...

I have been on and off adderall for a few years, everytime I tak it longer than a month, i get bloody stools. If I stop taking it for a few months, I also stop bleeding. I don't have any pain while going to the bathroom but would like to know if this is somehting that could get worse or is a significant health risk.

adderall stimulates your nervous system, which prepares your body for fight or flight by stopping digestive processes and hardening stool. don't worry about bright red blood. your body is designed to bleed around your anus to lubricate stool that won't come out. it's called hemorrhoids.

start taking fiber supplements along with more water when taking adderall. it will take a few weeks of daily fiber before your stool becomes normal again. taking fiber is not a magic 1 day cure. if you're on adderall, you should be consuming more fiber and drinking more water.

THANK YOU GUEST - FOR WHOMEVER POSTED THE FOLLOWING:

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE FOUND TO BE TRUE THROUGH PERSONAL EXPERIENCE

I have been on Adderrall XR for a year, and I did not start having this issue until about 5-6 months into it. It is definitely a result from adderrall that you are experiencing bloody stools/anus ( I guess as long as you haven't had this occur beforehand) Anyways I find that I will take my adderrall in the morning, (30 mg), I being a 25 yr. old male, and almost anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes after I will have bowel movement. Lately I have been under a lot more stress with school, not drinking enough, eating enough fiber, etc. and I do get blood release with stools. On top of this I drink energy drinks, as if adderrall isnt enough energy already, i guess i have just built up a tolerance to it. This is extremely drying me out, and probably horrible for me bc of all the caffeine and all the stimulants I am putting into my body. So if oyu drink coffee you might experience similar symptoms. Its true that if it were bleeding internally from ulcers it would be black, however i experience fresh blood. I also noticed a hardening tissue on anus during shower. My friend taking the exact same medicine was informed this is infact hemorrhoids. From what I have experienced, the hemorrhoids actually went away when I do consciously drink lots and lots and lots of water, and if you are on adderrall you tend to do this anyways as it makes your throat very very dry, (especially if you are nervous.) I just know that I am pushing harder during bowel movement because the stools are much more solid, and of course we naturally want to get out as much as possible. Don't do this, as it agitates the hemorrhoids worse. Take less of a dosage, definitely more fiber, and lots and lots and lots of fluid (Gatorade, vitamin water, water, - VERY VERY LIMITED...SODA or ENERGY DRINK, coffee included...)

I've been using adderall for about 3 years and I was always afraid it was doing something horrible to my digestive tract. Today was the first time I have noticed blood in my stool, bright-red blood. I'm just a little confused...

My experience has been that adderall causes the opposite of constipation since, much like the previous comment stated, I have to BM ~ 15-30 mins after taking adderall. I mean, it's a stimulant, right? Coffee induces BM's too and it's a stimulant/diuretic. Also, not so much now, but I used to take lots of opiates, which I'm about 99% sure cause constipation. I would take opiates and adderall frequently and sometimes on the sa %-) me day. They seemed to counter one another, but I felt like I was being a real jerk to my stomach/intestines.

Any thoughts on why adderall induces BMs or the effects of opiate/adderall mixing would be a great help.

My experience has been that adderall causes the opposite of constipation since, much like the previous comment stated, I have to BM ~ 15-30 mins after taking adderall. I mean, it's a stimulant, right? Coffee induces BM's too and it's a stimulant/diuretic. Also, not so much now, but I used to take lots of opiates, which I'm about 99% sure cause constpation. I would take opiates and adderall frequently and sometimes on the same day. They seemed to counter one another, but I felt like I was being a real jerk to my stomach/intestines.

The previous posts state that adderall causes constipation, but my experience has been that adderall causes the opposite of constipation since, much like the above comment stated, I have to BM ~ 15-30 mins after taking adderall. I mean, it's a stimulant, right? Coffee induces BM's too and it's a stimulant/diuretic. Also, not so much now, but I used to take lots of opiates, which I'm about 99% sure cause constpation. I would take opiates and adderall frequently and sometimes on the same day. They seemed to counter one another, but I felt like I was being a real jerk to my stomach/intestines.

As far as the opiate/constapation...definitely. Adderall is a stimulant and stimualants get your digestive system fired up. Gets the train out of the station so to speak. But serioulsy, I have been on adderall for 2 years now. Not sure what the average dose is but.. the last two months have experience an exponential rise in the amount of blood in the stool. Sometimes no stool that I can see. Also a lot of "clotted" material that looks a bit like blood jelly. Internal hemorhoids are suspect and have had in the past. I have noticed a significant rise in pressure around the anus when dehydrated or haven't eaten. I can only imagine how that increase in pressure must make an internal hemorhoid respond. Dr. has prescribed a colonoscopy and surgery looks imminent.

Drink lots of water!!!!! The adderall has worked wonders for me but I fear this may be the deal breaker.

Good luck to all.

As some people have already mentioned if the blood you see is copious and bright red is is recently released and most likely a result of a ruptured hemorrhoid. I had this problem even before being prescribed Adderall since constipation has always been a problem for me. If you add some fiber to your diet this should go away. I usually buy Metamucil (with calcium since I am a woman and this kills two birds with one stone!) and drink the maximum recommended amount. Do this even if you are regular since it will still help soften the stool and will be more gentle on the hemorrhoids until they heal.

Usually you can feel the hemorrhoids when you shower and wash yourself. They will feel like a small bump around the anus. Usually some over the counter prescription will help soothe them until they retract. Lots of water (tea/coffee/etc are not valid liquid replacements for water!) and lots of fiber and the problem should subside. If it doesn't, visit your doctor.

Also, if the blood is in the stool it will look like a black spot in the stool or in the case of large amounts of blood it could make the whole stool look black. This can be indicative of something more serious (ulcers/cancer/etc) and should be checked out by your doctor immediately.

I am not a physician, this is all just based on personal experience and acquired knowledge. Always err on the side of caution.

Ok, I have been noticing this problem for some time. I only take my adderall when I have to, especially because of the anal bleeding. From the research I have done, I have discovered that adderall relaxes the anal muscles allowing too much blood to flow into the tissue around the anus while also allowing bowel movements to easily take place. This increased pressure and blood flow cause bleeding hemmerhoids which are irritated further by dry stool.

Like others have reported however, I do not experience pain with the bleeding, but I can feel the bulging tissue, a warm soapy washcloth helps a lot after a bowel movement.