I have noticed blood in my stool. I am thinking that maybe I have hemorrhoids, so they are causing blood in my stool. Anyway, somehow I think my doctor should examine me. It is just all strange with me lately and I am afraid that could be something more serious. Can you tell me more about blood in stool, and what I should pay attention before I visit my doctor?

You have to know that blood in the stool can originate from anywhere along your digestive tract, from mouth to anus. Sometimes it may be present in such small amounts that person cannot actually see it. Then, it is only detectable by a fecal occult blood test. When there is enough blood in stool to change the appearance and color of the stools, the doctor will want to know the exact color. That will help him to estimate the site of bleeding. To make a definite diagnosis, endoscopy or special x-ray studies are needed. That is good question what to pay attention for before going to your doctor. It is very important you know answers, which is going to help him determine cause and place of bleeding. He might ask you if there is there blood on the toilet paper, and what color is your stool. Then he might need exact time when did it develop, and have you had more than one episode of blood in your stool.