I am 51 and have noticed in the past 3 months there are ridges in my stool. I do get constipated and require extra fiber to help with this. I also have a history of hemorroids. I experience bloating quite often. I also notice when having a bm it will begin as notty and thereafter will be very long with ridges. It also appears there are small white specks withint he stool. I currently am taking fibercon, eating Fiberone cereal and Fiberone Bars. Eat plenty of fruit and veggies and not a meat eater. Please advise.

I think I can help you with at least one part of your problem because I had a similar awkward situation when I had to take Fibercon, together with very fiber rich diet. I was scared when after at least solving the constipation problem I saw what seemed even scarier one: white and yellowish specks. I thought it was for sure some parasite or worse, but thankfully, when I got to talk with my physician about this, he just shrugged it off as undigested parts that were coming from all the fiber rich products I was taking! So, I continued to supplement the diet with only eating more veggies.

As far as the shape of the stool, I think it might have to do a lot with the hemorrhoids because they tend to change the tone of your anal sphincter. But, if you have a chance to talk about this with a nutritionist or the doctor, it might worth a check.

Hey there, did you find the answer to what caused the grooves?

The white specks are candida, not food. The ridges are from bowel inflammation 

There are also risks in excessive fiber intake. It can also cause bloating and worse constipation due to intestinal blockage. Adult females need less fiber than males -- a daily intake of 25 to 26 grams until age.