I was on methadone for seven years for multi opiate addiction. (heroin, oxies, roxies...you name it.) My dose fluctuated from 40 mgs to 200. When it started messing up my thyroid, I decided it was way overdue for me to get off the stuff. I finally got down to 15 mgs, and switched to Suboxone to completely come off the methadone. It's helped TREMENDOUSLY. However, when I try to stop the suboxone, I get the typical withdrawal symptoms....sneezing, chills, anxiety, stomach cramping, etc. I took 8 mgs the very first day, 4 mg the next two days, and 2 mg for the rest of the week. Now I'm just taking crumbs, probably 1 mg or less.

Soooo...my question is this...since it's only been a month, am I still experience methadone withdrawals? I know methadone withdrawal can last a looong time. Or am I now dependent on the suboxone? I feel so trapped, because I just want off this *hit! It's been such a ball and chain for so long. Thanks to anyone who has any input for me.

The taper chart for Suboxone is 2mg every 6 day then 1mg for 6 days then1/2 mg every 6 days to avoid the kind of withdrawal symptoms your speaking of. The half life of Suboxone is much greater than Methadone.

Keep with it, You are doing very good and it will be uncomfortable for a week or so longer, think about how long it took you to get to the point of the ultimate addiction level, your tolerance kept increasing just as it will continue to decrease. I comend you on your great efforts and your willingness to stay strong. I encourage you to keep up the good work and keep your mind occupied. listen to uplifting music, I use to jam to Kid Rock. Even after a month, your body is still going through changes, but you should be back to feeling as close to normal as possible within another week and then you will be back to normal, the key is to stay busy, even when you don't feel like it and remember that a craving only lasts seconds, it's our own minds that keep the thought there. You are more than likely experiencing WD from the subs as sad as it is, they are just as bad as herion and the WD can be too much to handle. I was in rehab with people detoxing off the subs. I don't know anything about the methadone, that is what I am trying to find now because of the success story of a friend of mine who was on them and weaned HIMSELF off of them. He has maintained his sobriety for well over 2 yrs now. I'm scared, but methadone is my only hope right now because the suboxone do not work for me any longer. Keep up the good work. The worst of your days are over, you only have good days ahead and each day will improve. (I hate the feeling of being trapped, I know it all too well)!!! Good Luck To You! SINCERELY, Valerie

hi valerie being trapped is very familiar you just feel like you would rather not be alive and its a terrible way to live but methadone isnt the answer either. I ran out of subs this Christmas/ New years and i slipped and took meth again after i detoxed off it because the sub withdrawls are just as bad (only really the mental part). I like the fact you said jam out to kidrock because i used to listen to my ipod 24/7 and it helps. The HARDEST part of this addiction is the insomnia and anxiety and sweating all day even when everything is out of your system you just feel worthless and its the worst feeling imaginable thats why sober people dont understand cause i used to be that sober do gooder hypocrite until i couldnt mma fight or kickbox anymore because of a severe shoulder surgery and i had everything. I blew through six figures on pills in two years and got a dwi and crushed my life and two years later and evrything is still horrible but i can tell you one thing before my surgery i had a solid nine months off everything and it was the best time of my life and im starting from scratch today to get back there because those sober days were like i was 16 again with no problems and i just enjoyed life except the throbbing pain in my neck and shoulder. Being in pain every single day like me is like bein in prison and with the addiction it feels like im in the isolation part of a prison with no one to help thats why i know how you feel about being trapped but i SWEAR to you dont take methadone please it will work but you will still be a prisoner to your addiction and you wont be mentally stronger i promise. Taper off your suboxone it will be hard but the day you can say you are clean with a totally clear body, mind, and conscience you will be so proud of yourself and im telling you no drug will make you feel that good thats why im so depressed right now i want that feeling back im just sick and tired of being sick and tired im sure you are too. The saying time heals everything is true its just with opiate withdrawl time stands still and the lonely nights awake are torture but a life of methadone is torture also ive seen it first hand and if anyone has methadone questions you can ask. I never told my story but i used to take 20 to 25 blues a day along with benzos i was out of my mind but was always coherent the day i realized my habit was over 20 a day i had a mental breakdown and i lost the love of my life too at the same time so i was ready to give up but i wont let this addiction kill me im gonna kill the addiction. When i finally came clean people didnt believe i was taking that many a day they said it was impossible it made me feel worse like i was lying. they just didnt believe it because i was a bodybuilder and then got into mma and i was extremely good for an amateur because my best friend fights pro so i got trained by ufc fighters.since no one believed the severity of my habit one day i showed my best friend and he watched me take 22 my last day and no one has looked a me the same since. I used to be looked up too by so many people now they look down on me. Im 26 and been through everything so i have alot of experience and advice i wish i could take my own sometimes.

I need help. My husband is on his fourth day off of suboxone. He was taking 4mg 2x daily, down from 8mg. He gave some to a guy at work who said he "lost" a few of his and then of course did not get them back. So he didnt tell me and cut his own down to 2mg for a few days until he could get his script filled. Well, he was still short and since he was sick of being dependant on them, decided to just quit and not get his script filled. We are on day three and it is totally unnerving to watch him go through withdrawal. It is Saturday night, 4 in the morning and he just finally fell asleep. He had a terrible car wreck 2 1/2 years ago and got hooked on oxys and perks, and was taking sub to get off those. I just worry that we did this wrong. He keeps asking me how much longer wilk he feel like dying, and im afraid to tell him the truth. Maybe he shouldnt have tried to just quit like this. Im scared and dont know how to help hi

hey i know im replying a little late but suboxone has a long half life so he will feel like c**p for weeks with no sleep. I also was on suboxone and i was on 12mg daily an i stopped cold turkey the withdrawls were so bad i couldnt think i just wanted to die. i had a severe shoulder injury and when you are withdrawing your pain areas amplify by a thousand times the pain is horrible so i know exactly how he feels. he should def get down to 2mgs before quitting it will get him more used to it without livng days like he is now which he probably goin through hell

Proably dependent on suboxone now. the good news is since you've only been on the suboxone for a month, you should be able to detox from that in a week and a half , two weeks. don't stay on the suboxone too much longer, the detox can take as long as Methadone

Hi there, this is a reply to all the above posts :) I have been on methadone and suboxone and have detoxed off both in the past. Suboxone will only take from 5 days to 2 weeks to detox. Methadone is completely different and will take approx 6 months maybe more to feel normal again - and that was for me personally whose highest dose was 17mg. The people saying they took methadone and then suboxone and subsequently stopped the suboxone and felt way worse than withdrawing off of opiates/heroin, this is because the methadone takes so long to leave your body, it's not the suboxone. I did a rapid detox to get off methadone about 10 years ago - where you go to a clinic and they flush your body full of narcan(I think) and you're knocked out and very doped/sleepy for a few days - my mum had to carry me out to the car. Anyway, this eliminates all the horrid withdrawals of methadone which gets in your bones - so basically the worst part of withdrawal is over, but you feel a real lack of energy, motivation, depression - it took me about 6 months to feel normal again. I don't know if this is even practiced anymore and it took place in Australia. I also, before this, decided to stop taking methadone and just use heroin instead and as soon as the smack wore off I couldn't walk more than 5 steps up the street to score without being hunched over and vomiting. So I relapsed on the heroin about 1.5 years later, vowed never again to take methadone and my doctor prescribed suboxone which i was on for about 2 years at a starting dose of about 12mg per day. I eventually got down to 0.4mg per day, which i was on until i felt stable on that dose. Then I decided I'd had enough, was sick of the sneaking around going off to the chemist/pharmacy to be dosed every few days ( they would give a few take home doses to well behaved patients with clean urine test results) So I jumped off 0.4mg daily dose and the withdrawals were minimal and lasted about 7 days, restless legs, prickling skin, hot/cold, sleep disturbance etc... feeling weak. But an absolute walk in the park compared to the hideous pain of methadone withdrawal. - So basically, what i am saying is that if you have only just recently stopped taking methadone within the last 6 months and now you're trying to withdraw off of a small dose of suboxone and withdrawals are extreme , it's because the methadone stays in your body for so long. I sincerely wish everyone the best. It can be done. If anyone wishes to email me privately for any advice or questions, I'd be happy to reply :)

I JUST NOW REACHED MY SIXTH WEEK OFF METHADONE. AND STILL HAVING LEG CRAMPS. AND STOMACH CRAMPS. I FEEL FOR YOU. REALLY. IT'S HELL. AND THEY DON'T TELL YOU c**p AT THE CLINICS. THIS STUFF GET IN YOUR BONE MARROW AND TAKES AT LEAST TWO TO THREE MONTHS TO CLEAN OUT. BUT EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT. HANG IN THERE IM NOT GIVING IN AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU.

I kicked a 25 year methadone habit on Jan 19th & it was brutal. At the end I was only on 27 mg/day but was still unbelievably sick for 2 months & this was at an inpatient facility with rescue meds like subutex, seroquel, etc. The first couple of weeks were the absolute worst, I didn't sleep for 12 days straight Had to go from back to detox twice from residence, I was the most dope-sick of anyone else in the place! I have never felt that way in my life, so glad to be off that s**t. I was on nothing for about a month and a half but when I got home I started taking 1mg suboxone because I had to actually function & the methadone sickness was STILL there after almost 4 months. Now taking 1/2mg suboxone & then gonna cutting little slivers off the strip till I'm off. FYI, methadone does NOT "get into your bones" it stores in adipose (fat) tissues which are all throughout the body and which is one reason the detox goes on and on and on and on and..

I recently detoxed from Methadone to be able to switch over to the Suboxone for pain management. I was on the methadone for 14 years and did not experience any problems while taking it; at the end I was taking 20 mg daily before stopping completely. Even after 12 days of detox, the methadone still showed up in my pee test at the dr's office. I was able to begin treatment with Suboxone and I'm still not sure if I like it as well for my pain. If you do not need the drug for pain management, I would suggest staying off both of them!

I feel you bro. I was a Personal Trainer, semi body builder, perfect diet, Valedictorian, college degree with honors, house at 25 new car at 26... Then engaged, then it fell apart miserably, lost her lost my father Christmas 2005, best friend thanksgiving 2006, then 3 grand parents in a 3 month period. I used at first for post workout pain, I did some grappling, Muay Thai, etc. I was eating 20-30 vicodins a day, yes toxic acetaminophen poisoning for sure! So I moved up then around then tried subs but used them to bridge my DOC. Turned into 3-4 times my tolerance on opiates by teeter tottering sub-opiates. I told everyone important they didn't believe me. So I met a man who is now my boss.... He has his own addictions but we are keeping each other strong. My problem now is I don't want to go above 4mg sub the first day then 2mg keeps me almost good for a few weeks, occasionally take a half dose, then left my subs at home had to be with boss man and family all day so of course i relapsed for a day now I am waiting currently 29hrs since some really cut down caps of H yesterday at 2pm was last. My story hopefully helps. I let my house go, I quit 2 jobs, moved 4 times and owe everyone I know. Throw your ego away! No one looks down on you, they are looking for YOU to return but it's all on you now. And trust me it will all make sense when one day some kid comes to you to ask for help with his addictions and you are the only one who openly admitted guilt and are seeking redemption! Be strong! I can't stress enough how bad opiates, opioids subs methadone effect your brain, testosterone, everything... It will ruin your physique and life. P.S.- if you or anyone can't get subutex, when you take a suboxone strip or pill. Rinse your mouth out with alcohol rinse, brush teeth drink a glass of water then take it. Don't swallow the orange junk, it's just artificial coloring etc... I'm somewhat allergic to it, let it set for 10-15 mins, then use your finger to rub the saliva all around your mouth for maximum absorption and then spot it out. It's just like subutex then no more headaches or high blood pressure anymore for me!

i was addicted to hydrocodiiene bad hern disc got surg last nov put on subd march and got kicked outta progfor not having any sub in myblood i ran outtold them that theytook my blood and gave me a month supply and said goodbye well i have been taperi g got down to pieces as the mknth prior nlw on day 5 am i going to keep feeling cralpy and depressed much longer or am i just putting it inmy mind that i "should" feel crappy? pls any help is welcome thx jane doe

At just a 15mgs dose of methadone, switching to Suboxone should be fine, without you experiencing any withdrawal symptoms from the methadone. However, Suboxone is absolutely addictive and more difficult to get off of than opiates are. So, you are now dependent on the Suboxone. Suboxone withdrawal needs to be done under the advice of a medical professional and it can be a long and difficult road.

some one correct me if i am wrong but i believe u r experiencing the symptoms from suboxone w/d because i would think all the methadone has left ur body because if it hadnt one would experience precipitated withdrawal. But since uve been on methadone for soooo looonnnggg, ur body is going to take alot longer to re adjust. i would suggest skipping days of dosing such as dosing every other day then every third day then every fourth day and so on to every 7th day and if u feel strong enough go for the start of a totally opiate free life. I suggest this as the brain takes time to heal and IMO that is the most painful part to recovering from an opiate addiction