I'm a 27 year old female and I had my tonsils removed 10 days ago. This has been the worst thing I have ever gone through, but I am still happy I did it. I know after I'm recovered that I'll feel much better and won't constantly get sick or get tonsil stones anymore. I thought I would tell my story and give advice to help people going through it. I feel like my doctors office didn't give me enough info on healing or warning that days 4-8 were the worst. 

Day 1- I didn't have much pain because the anesthesia hadn't completely worn off and they gave me some good pain meds in my IV before I went home. In my head I thought "this isn't that bad!", but I had no idea how much worse it was going to get. 

Day 2- the pain starting getting stronger, but it still wasn't unbearable. Everything felt so swollen. My tongue, throat, uvula...everything! It was so hard to talk, plus it hurt to try. And my tongue was completely white? Ew. I called my doctor and they said this is normal. 

Day 3-the real pain started kicking in. It. Was. Bad. And only going to get worse.

Days 4-8 were the worst. I was in such bad pain that I broke down crying a few times. I was mentally and physically exhausted. The pain was bad, everything was swollen, I was hungry and tired. These days were the hardest to get through. 

Day 9- I felt so much better like the swelling was going down, but I still had really bad pain in one spot in my throat. The scab in that painful spot finally came off at the end of the day and then the area felt raw, but I know it will feel better in a day or two. 

Day 10- I am currently on day 10 and feel the best I have so far. I am still having pain, but its not as bad as the day other days. I haven't taken pain meds in almost 15 hours. I feel like I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel! The only thing is, I still haven't had a bowel movement lol (sorry if that's TMI) Hope this is the end of pain for me and its smooth sailing from here on out. You guys can make it through, it gets better!

Some tips to others based on my experience of this:

-Constantly drink ice water. Always keep that glass full and take little sips every few seconds. Even if it hurts horribly to swallow, just drink. You do not want the scabs to dry out, the pain is 10x worse. 

-Get an ice pack and put it on your neck. I rotated mine to each side every so many minutes. This will help so much with inflammation and swelling.

-Sleep at an incline. It helps with swelling and it will also help you breath easier while you are sleeping. 

-Get a humidifier for your room. This will help keep your mouth/throat more moist while you sleep. Waking up is the worst. Everything is dried out and it will be the most pain you will have. Once you wake up immediately put an ice pack on your neck and drink lots of water. It gets better after a few minutes.

-Consistently take your pain meds on time! Set an alarm and take them religiously, for at least the first 8 days. Even if the pain is not that bad, take your next dose when you are supposed to so the pain doesn't become unmanageable. 

-Eat. It hurts but it helps so much. I was eating from day 1. The first few days I ate jello, apple sauce, pudding, popsicles, mashed potatoes, the filling of pumpkin pie (do not eat the crust) and chicken noodle soup. Around day 5 I also started eating those snack pack cups of peaches, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, canned green beans (since they are super soft and mushy), and I even ate some cheesecake. Day 7 I started eating yogurt and I also shredded up a rotisserie chicken and was able to eat it just fine. It felt so good to eat meat and I chewed it up until it was basically nothing lol Also maybe a quiche would be soft enough to eat? 

-Get outside and get fresh air. Even if its just sitting in a chair for a few minutes, it feels good to get fresh air and let the sun hit you. I went for very short walks. 

-If a scab does come off and you start bleeding, gargle ice cold water for 5 minutes and suck on ice chips. It should help it to stop, if it doesn't then you need to go to the ER. 

Those are my tips, hope it helps someone out there. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck to everyone going through this, hope you have a quick and easy recovery. 

Thank you so much for the advise I'm on day 6 and I was wondering if the extreme pain was common or not when I woke up but saw this and describe perfectly what I felt!