I got my tonsils out on the 11th, it's now day 8 & I have bad pain on the left side, kind of like swallowing knives! Normal? I looked in my throat and the white looking scab stuff is worse on that side. On the right i noticed some of the scab was gone. I havent really spit up much of the gross scab stuff & it hasnt bled either, normal? As for the pain, I tired drinking cold water & it makes the pain worse! I was wondering if maybe peppermint tea would do any good, or maybe even apple juice? I've barely ate anything the last 8 days.. I had a slushie on day 1, popsicles, italian ice & shaved ice. I tried eating applesauce i few days ago but it hurt too bad, i tried rice, mashed potatoes & yogurt. Everything hurting! & Im starving! Not eating for days is obviously not good for the body, so i was curious if maybe i should get some type of protien/vitamin shake like slim fast or ensure? the only thing about ensure is i hear its kind of thick & would bother my throat. When will the pain end?!? I feel so miserable! waking up in the morning is the worst, i have a humidifier but it doesnt seem like its doing much. For pain I'm taking childens liquid tylenol, but it wears off quickly. I just hope the pain goes away in the next couple of days so i can eat! I just want this to be over with:(

Hey alyssac18! 
I also had my tonsils taken out on the 11th! I have a very bad pain on both sides, maybe one side is just healing better for you. Although it seems a little dramadic, I would go to the emergency room. Im 15 and 2 nights ago I just could take all this pain anymore. They gave me some morephine and an IV which helped with my hydration. I felt better afterwords. I havent spit up any of the scabs, and mine hasent bled either. Try room temperature water, that what I drink. I found cold stuff doesnt really help. APPLE JUICE APPLE JUICE APPLE JUICE. Drink as much as you can, it has calories that your body needs from not eating. I also havent eaten, you could put everything I did eat in the past 8 days on one dinner plate. Try eating mac&cheese or chicken noodle soup. I see you already tried mashed potatoes. My doctor told me not to take anytime of slim fast or ensure shake, I dont know why though. Maybe your local pharmisist would have a suplament you could take. Im glad I found you sense we both got them taken out the same day! I totally hear where your coming from on the pain, I never knew it would hurt this bad. On the pain medicine, I cant believe your doctor didnt give you oxycodone! I have so much respect for you for going though this without oxycodone. Get ahold of your doctor and say you've been reading other peoples stories online and they're all taking oxycodone. Mornings are horrible and I wouldnt survive without my pain medication. I also take two tylenol with my oxycodone. Good luck to you and feel free to talk more to me!  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hope you feel better and please think about going to the emergency room! 

I know i thought it was strange i didnt get any pain meds! I just woke up & just want to cry. The liquid tylenol i have now burns my throat soooo bad & i tried mixing it with juice but it hurts to even swallow anything right now. I have ice packs on my throat because my ears hurt too. Would it be better to drink the apple juice cold or room temp? I just want this over with! I'm imagining all these foods i wanna eat & its making me soooo hungry! & Going to the ER scares me a little, I don't like hospitals much but I've definitely been thinking about it.

You are not the only one who had luck with this. My good friend also felt no pain and he wasn't taking any medications. Look, every surgery has its own side -effects, so tonsillectomy side effects can be present as well. This bad pain is one of them and that is why people do take medications. Medications can help you this pain to go away. For example, an another friend of mine was OK after the surgery, next day he was brilliant, but the third day he was in such a pain that he was crying. Every person is different and every person will have a different experience with it. 

& another thing, i looked in my throat & it looks like the scabs are going away but I've barley spit any of it up & i was hoping i wouldnt get sick or anything like that from it. Also i noticed like tiny dots of blood, nothing serious probably smaller then a pencil tip & im not spitting up any blood either so i was hoping thats normal too. I managed to eat a popsicle even though it stung & some peppermint tea which didnt hurt as bad as i thought it would.

When you say liquid Tylenol do you mean the liquid gels or actual liquid? If so try the hard gel pills, they're not to bad to swallow. I tried t use an ice pack but it was just too much pressure on my throat :( I would try drinking at room temperature. My nurse told me to keep my throat moist, its just going to hurt more if its dry. I don't think you'll get sick from any of the scabs. I haven't noticed any blood, but as long as its only a little bit you should be fine. I went through a whole box of Popsicle the first day. I would do anything to get this over with! I wrote down a LONG list of foods I'm going to go eat when I actually can swallow pain free. I don't like hospitals either, but they helped me so much. My moms calling my doctor later tonight to see if he wants me back sense I'm not getting better! I'll let you know what he says, maybe that will help you decide if you should go or not.

Actual liquid. I've been drinking peppermint tea, not too hot. it's helped a lot & I've have my humidifier going all day too. I told my mom too see if maybe i can get stronger pain meds because it hurts so bad some nights/mornings i start crying. I know exactly what you mean by the list of foods! I did the exact same thing! I'm to beyond excited to eat, I started out weighing 107 & now wiegh 99. I went to the store earlier & got applejuice, I'll try it later. I cannot wait for this to be over!

hey how are you doing? I've been eating real food slowly. Pancakes, & egg salad sandwich. My left side is healing up quick & the scabs are going away but my right side has a bit more scabs. I have an appt with my doctor on the 25th. I want more foods to eat I'm just not sure what to eat.

I just had mines taken out on the 7th of January. The pain seems almost unbearable, I'm wondering when I can expect this pain to end. The pain in my ears are the worst. I haven't been able to eat anything and yes I'm freakin starving. Do you know how much longer before I can swallow without feeling like razor blades are in my throat? Bottom line how much longer before I can eat and drink without it hurting so badly. I go see my doctor next week and I'm afraid I won't be able to open my mouth for him to check everything out in there, it freakin hurts to try and brush or gargle.

Hi I know it's been one year since then but it's 2 in the morning and I'm laying in bed crying my eyes out. I have the exact same thing happening to me but on my right side. Can you please tell me if it was normal and did it get better? Thank you

Use a Ice pack !!!

And now it's one year later and the same thing is happening to me on my right side:(. So terrible.