This post is an extension of the
Tonsillectomy - worst pain ever thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I had read the posts on here and was scared I would be up for three weeks crying from the pain. Fortunately, it has not been that bad. First, some salient facts...
My doctor uses the scissor method to cut out the tonsils.
My tonsils were relatively small.
My tonsils were infected at the time of the surgery ( for the 6th time this year and it was only September).

The worst day by far was the first. I came out of the anesthesia with pretty bad nausea. The first sip of water was by far the worst, but I knew I had to drink two cups before they would let me leave, so I sucked them down and go the heck out of the hospital. I then tried to drink sips of ice water every 15 minutes. Unfortunately, at 10pm I vomited about 40 oz. of water and dried blood. The good news is the nausea went away. I also had a really bad headache, until I realized it was because of no caffeine and quickly took a nodoz and that cured the headache. Then I was just left with the sore throat pain which went from a 4 or 5 after taking percoset to a 6-7 when the percoset started to wear off. The pain dropped every day until starting day 5 I stopped taking the percoset and could talk. I didn't really feal any pain if I wasn't swallowing or talking.

Things that helped:
Iced gatorade - first sip is painful, but I would take a couple more and the throat felt much better. drink,drink,drink

Ice Water - when I got sick of the sugary feeling in my mouth I would drink really cold ice water (it also helps the little bit of bleeding coagulate).

No Talking - every time I would talk the throat would hurt even when I wasn't doing anything

Drink Ensure - was awesome for the vitamins and calories. I washed the milky stuff out of my mouth with ice water.

pain meds - percoset every 4 hours no matter what. I even had my wife wake up and mke sure I took them the first night.

breathe through your nose especially when you sleep - any air on your throat dries it out and it will really hurt when it is dry.

I am on day 6 now and am very happy I had it done. Except for the first day it just kind of sucked. Not really that bad.

Well i wish my tonsillectomy had been so good. I'm 21 years old and had my tonsils out last thursday 11/20. Eveything was going well until this morning. I woke up coughing and spitting up large amounts of blood. THye took me back to the dr's office who proceded to try and cauterize then just sucked the blood clots out and made me throw up the blood i had swallowed in my sleep.

So after that they took me back in to the operating room where they went back in and stopped the bleeding. I feel good again, it was just so scary at first. THey said the warmth and dryness of my apartment probably added to the problem.

if you have any questions let me know. it was quite the ordeal. Hope everyone else's goes better!!!

I'm 19 and I had my tonsils out on friday the 21st. I read these forums before the surgery, hoping to brace myself. I'll be honest, I thought everyone was being super dramatic, and only the horror stories were posting. Boy was I mistaken. I'm now 5 days post op and in the worst pain I have ever felt. The first two days were a piece of cake, but the third day was when it all went to hell. It's gotten progressively worse. I can only get an hour and a half of sleep before i wake up in excrutiating pain. Instead of taking two Tylenol 3's every 4 hours, i was told to take one every two hours, and liquid codeine whenever its too unbearable. The ear aches are whats killing me. I've had broken bones, brutal sprains, but nothing compares to this type of pain. I'm honestly thinking the sore throats before weren't that bad. Is this amount of pain extremely unusual?

I'm finding the same thing...I got mine out 5 days ago and it seems to be getting worse! When did you start to get better? What did you do?

I've had some pretty major surgeries, liver tumor, gallbladder, adhesion's, and even a left foot, this one is by far the worst, b/c you don't feel better with each day, you feel worse! I too threw up for days after the operation, then thought i was starting to come around! i'm on day 7 and i still cant swallow! the pain meds aren't even edging the pain! i've called my doctor's office and are waiting on them to call back, i'm contemplating going to the ER if they don't call soon! I wish I'd never had this done! I'm so miserable!!!

I am 20. I had to stay in the hospital and go on morphine because the pain was so bad. I found that If you drink warm (NOT HOT WARM) tea it will dissolve all the mucous and cause everything to loosen up a big and help relieve the pain caused by tension and dryness. This follows by a back rub really does help. Also call your doctor and tell them you cannot bear it and you need more pain medication. They can probably increase your does substantially without harm. Once you have done that drink as much as you can! Also take your meds as often as possible, wake up and take them.

I am on day seven post op. I am just now able to function enough to get on the internet. Let me tell you this is the most painful experience i have ever gone through and i had to cut a portion of my leg completely off myself, that was hanging on after a train accident.
If i was scheduled to do it and was reading this dont do it, you could not survive, only children should have this done, if you are over the age of thirty it is a near death sentence. If the complications dont get you, the pain will make you wish you would die. I lost my first wife to tonsillectomy surgery.....

come on now, dont buy into all these stories for every bad story you read on here there are fifty more cases like me where the patients experienced very little pain, and what they did the medication managed it. Stay calm, get it done, do what they tell you to, and keep from doing what they tell you not to. YOu will better in no time and you will be glad you did it. Everything will be fine!!!! Trust me.

Day 7 post op.

Yeah day 1 was better. I felt better physically and even though I couldn't eat I could drink just fine and the vicoden they gave made eeeeverything seem...so nice...

And then I had a reaction to it. No more vicoden, it makes me unable to breathe and nearly hospitalized me.

So now I'm under basic tylenol and I can a little, but physically I feel terrible. There is no words to describe this. I've hardly slept a wink since I had the surgery so I'm constantly tired. I'm 18 years old and in college and I thought I'd be able to continue, but now I'm not even sure if I will make it this semester because I've missed every class till now due to the extremely intolerable pain and discomfort I am in. I think the earache is the worst. Its not always there, but when it comes on it will stop me in whatever I'm doing and floor me clutching my head in agony. This is from a guy who has fallen off cliffs, scraped arms to the bone (literally), and had his skull cracked in an accident. This isn't the worst pain I've ever felt, but it certainly comes in at a close second.

I'm 17 and I had my tonsils taken out 5 days ago and I've had zero pain. The worst part of the tonsillectomy would be getting over the anesthesia since your not allowed to vomit. I've had a little discomfort because it feels like there is something stuck in my throat, and also it sucks to burp or hiccup. But on my 3 third day i started eating mac n cheese. I think the pain of having sever Tonsillitis 4 times (to the point that even my doctor got sick from how my tonsils looked) makes the soreness seem like nothing. Now all im worried about is the bleeding that can occur since I'm starting to enter the "higher chance of bleeding" stage.
Good luck everyone with there tonsils!!! :-)

I am 21 years old and I just got my tonsils taken out wednesday 5/26/10. I was scared to death to get it done. It was my first surgery of any sort and just generally worried about getting anesthesia and getting cut open. But that was the easy part. Im on day 3 of recovery and it just plain hurts. They gave me liquid tylenol codeine for the pain but that only helps for about an hour and is making me vomit because I cant eat anything at all. I am goin later on today though to get percocet. Hopefully that will be better a Slnd help me to at least eat a little something so I can stop getting sick from taking pain meds on an empty stomach. Honestly as long as I have pain medication I can tolerate the pain. What bothers me the most is the swelling especially of my uvula, that dangly thing your mouth. Its so huge that everytime i go to swallow I feel like im swallowing hte damn thing. Im really hoping that after another 2 or 3 days I will finally starting feeling like this was worth it cuz as of right now it doesnt at all, but everybody who gets throat ailments often has told me that they havent gotten once since they got a tonsillectomy. Sleeping is actually the worst because I usually breath through my mouth so everytime i wake up thats when it huts the worse. I think the only good thing about this is the fact that I know im gona lose at least like ten pounds. haha but im sure il gain it right back afterward cuz i am dying for a bacon cheeseburger and fries to a nice big fat steak. That is what has been the most frustrating for me so far is that fact that I am hungry and have an appetite but I cant eat cuz of the pain and swelling. Well I hope this starts to get better soon cause I am just flat out going crazy already.

And sum advice for all those parents out there who are not sure whether to get their kids tonsils out or not. do it NOW to save them the agony from possibly having to get them out as an adult.

I really guess everybody is differant in how they heal. Day one for me was fantastic! Maybe it was all of the morphine, but i was chipper, chatting away and hungry for food ( ate it all up when i got it) and had no nausea or anything. I felt fine. The second day was fine. The pain was nothing more than a slight irritation and eating wasn't a chore yet. I am now on day 6 and i have no pain killers left. I had endone, tramadol and prodeine forte. ALL GONE! I am now, starting to freak out a bit because at six days on from what i've been told and read most people are feeling much better, but i just seem to be getting worse! I manage pain well but sometimes i am finding myself weeping. I am definately considering going back to the hospital and demanding (in my non-existent voice) more pain killers, even though they have given me sever constipation o.O

my throat is killing me and i kept on crying n crying idk wut to do cn someone help me plz?????

Hi all

I'm currently on day 7 and my pain has been unbearable since day 4. I went to accident & emergency yesterday for a drip as couldn't eat or drink & they sorted out my pain meds for me. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND being the 'squeakiest wheel' ie. complaining so much to your doc/the hospital that your pain isn't being managed that they are FORCED to sort you out.

I am on a really effective cocktail of anti-inflammatory (Arcoxia 120mg), antibiotic (Roxithromycin 150mg), analgesics (Tramadol 50mg, codeine 30mg & paracetamol), antifibrinolytic (Transexamic acid 500mg), plus some other helpful remedies like Betadine anti-viral, antiseptic mouth gargle, and Difflam anti-inflammatory throat spray. Phew! I'm sure I rattle when I walk but at least my pain is FINALLY UNDER CONTROL!!!!

Hope this list is helpful to someone who is looking to tame the pain but isn't having much luck!

Best wishes

K

Hi all, good to hear some feed back about this. I am a 17 year old female, and I am on day 3 after tonsillectomy. I was terrified before the surgery because I recently got my wisdom teeth out, and that was the worst experience and pain of my life. 

The tonsillectomy went fine, I woke up and the first thing I said was "it doesn't hurt that bad." Then I started crying from the anaesthesia. My main complaint about day one is that my uvula was huge and I felt like I was choking on it. Yesterday (day two) it went way down in size, still swollen, but not nearly as bad.

I am taking loratab elixer every four hours...and thus far I have been able to eat pudding, SMALL bites of scrambled eggs, jello, popsicles, and some soup. 

I did however make a huge mistake today, I decided I wanted to get out of the house for a while, so I got in the car and went for what I thought was gonna be a short drive. ( I was not driving of course due to narcotics. I was in the back.) Never in my life have I been car sick except for today. 
Word of advice. Don't go for a "short ride"

Im also noticing a horrible taste tonight, probably the scabs...but its nasty. 

Overall, I would say that my pain level is 4/10 on the pain meds, and off its a 7/10. 

This experience has been much better so far than what I was expecting. Also I have an ear infection ( I had one before surgery) so I am having ear pain but its not unbearable and the antibiotic I'm probably helps it.

From what I know thus far my advice to anybody getting this done is:
- Avoid hot foods for the first few days
- LOTS of fluids
- Keep up with the pain killers
- Sleep a lot
- I was told that talking is good...and I'm able to talk while on the pain killers.
- Brush your teeth a lot to help prevent thrush
- I choked on noodles and mashed potatoes...so be cautious when eating.
- Keep jello or some sort of food by the bed to take middle of the night pain killers with. This has been a life saver for me.

Good luck to all!