this is advice for everyone.. do not get a tonsillectomy.
I was told it would be very painful before i ever got it done only because i generally have large tonsils to begin with. Im 17 and ive had strep throat numerous times in one year and the last time i got it i was in the hospital which is when i was told i needed them out. The day of surgery was very painful. I woke up to a very dry painful throat which was even more painful to swallow. I had very little ear pain but i did ice my neck and that helped alot. Im on day 8 right now and i still have not eaten any solid foods. Im on a Lortab Elixer which helps the pain and pretty much knocks me out but as for when im not sleeping, the pain can sometimes be unbearable.All ive eaten in broth and i think ive eaten about 75 ice pops.. literally.. I just hope that this is all worth it in the end and i dont ever get a sore throat again.. wouldnt that be nice

I feel your pain. 11 days out and it still hurts and the fact that it's been longer than my worst strep infection is really killing me. I've had some pretty severe infections in the past, but right now at this minute, I'm second guessing myself and wishing I never had this surgery. I'm sure my thinking will change, but this SUCKS!

Arbitir. I had mine on the 13th, 7 days out and yes it truly sucks. Truly!

The thing that would really kill me is if, after recovery, I don't feel that much better then before. But then I remember taking antibiotics 4-5 times a year for sinus infections. I remember the sinus pain and sore throat pain again and again. I remember all this last summer feeling like run down sh*t and constantly producign those stinky horrid tonsil stones.

But for now i have to say life sucks!

I am 27. I am on day 6 and it is much better than day 2. I was rush back to the doctor on the second day thinking that i couldn't breath. I was given a corticone injection. I was swollen so bad that my uvala hunh down past my tongue causing me to vomit and chock. Today i am much better and I hope it only gets better from this pt. Asof right know I wouldn't consider doing this again......

Please someone talk to me. The pain is unbearable. I am 19 years old and now beginning Day 5 of post op. I can't sleep but whenever I finally do get to sleep for a COUPLE of hours, when I wake up the pain is even more severe. The Lortab Elixir they gave me helped at first, but now is doing nothing. I also vomitted a few hours after my surgery when I was still in the hospital, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with why I feel so bad. Please someone tell me it's going to be ok. I can't stand it anymore.

It's not unusual to vomit not too long after surgery, particularly if you swollowed blood or did not tolerate the anesthesia very well.

First of all, are you getting enough to drink? If you become dehydrated you will start to feel very sick, you may feel like you're getting an infection. If you think you are starting to get dehydrated you MUST drink! If you are really bad, you need to speak with your doctor or possibly visit and ER to receive fluids.

Second, the medication you are on could be making you ill as well. I did not tolerate the medicine for more than 3 days that I was originally given. I had to be switched to a milder medicine and that did miracles for how I felt.

I hope you feel better in a hurry.

I am currently on day 6 after my tonsillectomy...

I guess it must be different for each person, it was painful, but it was not as painful as my knee cap snapping in two :-)

Not to say it isn't painful, it is, but I just hope I can put up with this little bit of pain now and then will hopefully less pain in the future!

The pain is a little less today tho thank god

im 20 and had my tonsils out yesterday, they wouldnt let me leave the hospital until i had something to eat, drink and passed urine. After my operation i had 2pieces of toast, cup of tea, when i got home i had 2 jacket potatoes with cheese, 2 more peices of toast, chocoate moose and lots of water. Today i have eaten 2pieces of toast, jacket potatoe with cheese, rice and chicken curry and noodles. I think that early eating helps with recovery, i'm no way near in as much pain as i expected. Eating and drinking helps increase blood flow to the operated area aiding a faster recovery. Have pain killers half hour before you eat. I'm avoiding ice cream, because it reduces blood flow by contricting blood vessels.

I am on day 7 of my recovery after my tonsillectomy and the one thing that I have found most useful is cutting down the dose of the medicine (I'm on Hydrocodone) by a third and taking it every hour. It's almost like a controlled time release. It was wearing off too quickly when I took it as one big dose but taking less more often has helped a lot. Other than that, ice on the throat is the best.
Hope it helps!

Oh dear.

I don't know where you guys are from, but back here, they give Vicodin for tonsillectomies. So I doubt I'm gonna be dying in pain. Maybe I will.

One thing I DON'T doubt is that I won't be eating turkey for xmas this year (tonsillectomy on the 22nd!) :-(

Good luck to you all and hopefully I'll be ok!

Today is day 7 for myself 33 and my son 13. This is his second tonsillectomy. I have to agree, The pain is worse than any throat infection I have ever had. Now I am reading about all this scabbing coming off and bleeding now I am really freaking out. I have lost 11 pounds so far and I have a week till Christmas, gosh all I want to do is be back to semi normal. I can go without the food, but the agony I have after drink water needs to go. damn it my son now has the hiccups and is freaking out. Any advise wiould love to hear it

It is 4:00 a.m. I have been up looking at feedback in various forums regarding the pain associated with tonsillectomy. I had not only my tonsils, but my uvula removed. It is day 5 after the surgery, and I am in true agony. I have realized that the worst pain comes when I awake, even if just a half an hour goes by....The pain is so extreme, I will no longer allow sleep...The first few days were fine, but yesterday and today are increasingly worse. I awoke at 1:30 this morning to the worst pain I have ever had. I stood over my kitchen sink and cried as the "hurricaine" brand topical anesthetic worked it's way into my throat. My method upon wakening has been to immediately go the kitchen, rinse with warm water, swallow ibuprofen, drink my 1.5 tblsp of hydrocodone (loritab), spray my throat with the hurricaine, and then cry until the pain subsides. It is about 7 minutes now that I can get past the worst pf the pain. I am a person that has had broken limbs, torn ligaments, dislocations, pneumonia, strep, half cut off my finger, you name it. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has ever come close to the pain I am experiencing from the tonsil and uvula removal. It gives me temporary relief just to read that others are experiencing sever pain as well. I am, and always have been the guy that works through the pain. Pain has never made me cry, not even close....I have simply slumped over my kitchen sink and cried with drool coming out of my nose and mouth. I only have gone into this detail to warn others that are considering this procedure that there can in fact be severe pain. Not just severe, but extraordinary....I feel for anyone that has had even a remotely similar experience with this type of pain. My heart goes out to you.

hey all,

i'm new to this board but just wondering if any one has experienced any of the same post-tonsillectomy problems i have. I'm 18 and had mine out Dec. 22, so I am on day 7 of recovery. After i woke up in the hospital I began vomiting, which was nothing big. Then, however, as I was leaving hours later, I began vomiting more and more, for a total of 3 times. They started a new iv and kept me in recovery for a few more hours, then I went home and slept. Everything was fine until the next night when again, I began vomiting. That was okay too, however the vomiting the next night was much more violent and harder. I dreaded taking the medicine (Lortab or whatever) because it had to have been what was making me sick. Finally, I woke up yesterday (day 6), and i was feeling great. I made it through the day but around 8 pm, part of my scab broke off and i began bleeding. After a trip to the er, it stopped and I came home with a new prescription for pain meds because the doctors think the vomiting has ripped at the scabs. Anyway, I thought everything was going to be fine, but today I had much much worse bleeding. Thing epic bleeding in a movie where the blood just comes and comes and comes. we called the hospital, but being around the holidays, the resident didn't call back yet. The bleeding obviously stopped and I'm feeling good, I just can't take the bleeding and vomiting. Has any one had their scabs rip off like mine?? please some one?

thanks

I am 22 and I just had a tonsillectomy 6 days ago, the day after Christmas. I've had numerous kidney surgeries so I kind of figured the whole thing would be no big deal--I'm no stranger to pain and trying to get through it. The first day was fine, I came home 2 hours after surgery and it hurt but not that bad. It just got worse from there though. I started waking up in the middle of the night from the pain and I have been taking the pain meds religiously, every four hours on the button. I am just home from college for the break so I am living with my parents and they are totally unsympathetic. I don't know what kind of tonsillectomies they had, but they keep telling me it was so easy and they were over it in a couple of days without any pain meds at all. I think that is a lie. From what I've read online, no one gets over it in a couple of days without any pain meds and says it wasn't that bad! Anyway, yesterday and today have been the absolute worst--and I'm almost out of pain meds so I have no idea what I'm going to do then! I can't imagine getting through it without anything to cut the pain. Anybody have suggestions for making my parents a little more sympathetic/cutting the pain??

I too had my mine taken out the day after christmas hoping to be semi ok to celebrate the new year. What a joke. I tolerate pain fairly well after my c section only took otc motrin and was fine. Let me say this pain has brougt me to my knees begging for relief(i have a 4 month old baby to take care of husband doesnt=mommy) I understand what you mean by your parents not being sympathetic. My mother had hers out like your parents too(im 23 so assuming our parents are in the same age group) it is because they didnt have theres cauterized sp? Which from what I have read is effective in stopping the bleeding but longer recovery because of damaged tissues they use 400 degree heat so its a burn in a very senstive area and tissue. Be lucky for pain killers as i can only take tylenol otc because i am still breastfeeding. does anyone know any other forms of relief without using pain meds? I feel like im losing it as weird as that sounds. Im going into depression from the pain and not being able to take care of my baby. Thank you in advanced.