Hi all...

Just thought I'd debrief you on my history and how I'm doing with my tonsillectomy experience so far (currently I'm on day 4 and im 23 years old)

Day One: Woke up from the operation in mild-moderate pain.. had a lot of ice chips and water and managed that night to have some luke warm soup. I did notice that swallowing was very different - water seemed to go up and around my mouth instead of directly down. This caused an uncomfortable sensation that I was about to choke but continuing to swallow gently eventually dissipated this feeling. Stayed in hospital over night. I think this is very very important. I was given fluids all night, 24 hr care (ice chips whenever I needed them!) a strong painkiller overnight so I could sleep and these awesome throat lozengers that acted as both an anaesthetic and antibacterial.. (Cepacol PLUS). I talked to the anaesthesiologist about how I react to panadeine forte and we decided to put me on di-gesic and prednisone for severe pain so I didn't feel nauseus. This was great, I felt fine + my pain was managed: you don't want to feel sick and nauseus with a raw throat! Anyone who feels sick from codeine should look into other alternatives so they aren't vomiting.

Day Two: (Mild to moderate pain)I woke up tasting a bit of blood in my mouth but I sucked on icecubes and it went away.. probably residual blood from the operation. I was able to eat some scrambled eggs for breakfast, and later on that day soup. This made me feel really good and kept my energy up and the constant drinking of water all day/night aided in keeping my throat moist and clear of debris. The pain is about the same as it was Day One...although I do notice that towards the end of the 4-5 hours of painrelief that things do begin to get a bit worse.. but just keep religiously taking your painkillers/antibiotics/throat lozengers/etc etc etc. Wake yourself up if you have to. I did, trust me you'll have no problems getting back to sleep again!

Day three: (mild to moderate pain, worse in the mornings) had porridge for breakfast, this weird bacon/potato soup mix packet stuff for lunch then pasta for dinner. All worked perfectly fine. I used creamy based things even though many people say you shouldn't.. mine was washed down with copious amounts of water and ice and throat lozengers. I always ate around half an hour after I took my pain medication. I tried to use this throat gargle/wash which a nurse recommended for post operative mouth and throat conditions but i ended up swallowing it straight down as I wasnt used to having huge gaps in my throat. Next time I'll use less.

Day four: (Same as day three) Woke up today feeling about the same again. I kept up pain management ALL night religiously...drinking lots of water, cepacol plus lozengers, ice cubes to suck on.. I have noticed that my ears are sensitive to sound. Mornings are generally the worst for me. Over all though my pain is fine. I ate porridge again for breakfast this morning and look forward to more pasta for lunch. I have a bit of phlegm/stuff stuck in my throat which i gently cough or clear out occasionally but i avoid doing it.

I recommend trying to eat if you possibly can - it'll keep the scab small, drink lots of water to soften it too and keep on TOP of your pain. It'll also give you energy and give your body fuel to heal. Don't sleep through taking your medications, that's the worst thing you can do. You'll wake up sore, unable to swallow water properly and feeling absolutely miserable. If you're tired, just sleep during the day in short bursts! Even though I had to wake up to drink water/take meds, i fell back asleep immediately. Your body will take care of itself if you look after it.

I'll post again as I progress...I realise that pain is very personal. I had this tonsillectomy because I had glandular fever induced severe tonsillitis five years ago.. which led to chronic tonsillitis... when I had quinsy a month ago and they syringed it, they also saw that I had tonsil stones which gave me no choice: it was time for them to come out! Quinsy was ridiculously painful, as was glandular fever severe tonsilitis. I was brought to tears with both of those - unable to swallow my own spit at times and waking up in horrifying pain/spitting out blood from bleeding tonsils. This is not like that.

Before you have a tonsillectomy read up about peoples experiences and be prepared. Fresh bedsheets, a big jug of water by your bed, hot water bottle and ice chips, nice pjs to cheer you up! Unlike a random infection, this doesn't catch you by surprise and your doctor would have prescribed all the things you need. I certainly didn't have strong pain killers when I had my quinsy! Panadol was IT and i could barely swallow that. Just keep on top of the pain and keep your fingers crossed (like I am) that days 5-9 stay about as bad as this. I'll let you know!

Day Five: (moderate pain)

Last night I felt definite improvement in the mobility/flexbility of my jaw and could brush my teeth with reasonable success. Despite that I woke up this morning in considerable more pain. Scabs feel a bit thicker. Mornings always feel worse but I am sure that today it is a bit worse than yesterday. On the upside I no longer appear to have all the plegm and blockage in my throat that I felt I had to clear yesterday which might mean that swelling is going down - yay! Had a bad nights sleep last night and woke up regularly to sip water. Lost my appetite a bit this morning but I'm going to ensure I have some soup soon for energy. Pain feels more acute but is subsiding with pain relief and icing.

Had a lemonade iceblock for breakfast followed by icecubes, water and my favourite Cepacol plus lozengers. They make the end of my tongue feel very numb but so does my throat so it's a win/win! Have a cup of soup standing by for lunch and I'm due more pain relief in fifteen minutes so I'll try solids in a couple of hours. A small amount.

Not so bad, if this is the worst it is still manageable. I can still swallow with success and water is flowing downwards more freely and not getting stuck anymore in my throat. Pain is still referring a bit to my ears - but not badly... a loud or sharp sound or voices too loud will make me wince but a quiet environment will help with that. I managed to mostly doze through an electrician drilling holes into the wall behind me all morning out of desperation to sleep!

I'm feeling pretty positive about my experience thus far. I've been through worse before with infections in my throat and all that matters is that when you are in pain and you take the pain relief, that it WORKS. Which for me, it has. I haven't felt nauseus at all from over-dosing on codeine. That was my greatest fear - throwing up with a raw throat. For those of you who want to know what worked for me I am on: Di-gesic + Prednisone + Celebrex + Cepacol Plus lozengers. That's all I have been taking. And ice, and water.

I have never mentioned once that I am in severe pain like I had been with Quinsy. Severe pain is not being able to swallow your own spit, vomiting up blood/phlegm and fluids, unable to face the thought of swallowing water or any fluids and just sleeping all the time because staying awake is unbearable...I once got so bad I couldn't even stomach the thought of taking my pain relief coz it hurt so much to get the pills down!! If you are like that I'd suggest you get yourself to hospital for fluids and pain assistance. A tonsillectomy is way easier/less painful! If you've had a quinsy before like I had then seriously you've already been through the worst pain you can be in and you'll be fine.

I'm on day 2 (well it's midnight between day 2 and 3) and I'm almost petrified to go to sleep because everyone says that the day 3 pain is the worst! My experience has been very similar to yours (Glandular fever, reoccurring tonsillitis and quincy) so I'm hoping my recovery will be simlliar as well. Thanks for all your advice!

Thank you sooo much for this! Im 22 and found out today Im going to have to get my tonsils out. I was scared,not gonna lie..but this helped! Thank you so much!

hi my name is Danielle and i am 24 and just got my tonsils out last thursday and going on day 5 it is not fun but i am dealing with it the best i can i just can't wait to eat normal food. i have tried to eat oat meal i would suggest to stay away from it by the fact that it just keeps my throught full of hard clumpy spit. so i have been eating nothing but fruit pops and tonight i am going to try some mashed patatos and gravey

Hi I'm 21 and had mine done on Thursday and now it's the earlyer hours of Saturday. I have been on basic pain relief that has not fully taken the pain away. I have found hot food and drink more help full and slightly thicker food and drink easyer to swollow. Mash and white fish in sauce was really easy as it just slid down. I have had Quincies before 2 and the pain from that round the same. At this point I must say staying on top of your pain is THE most important thing! I am going to set my alarm for during the night tomorrow to wake myself up. I have wake up tonight 7hours after taking my pain medication and the pain was just well I dont think I can find words to describe. Hoping it is all going to get better but pain relive is the best thing at the moment.

did you get antibiotics as well my son 23 had his done i day ago he had tonsillectomy adendectomy and his ubelia shorten he was given tylenol with codein no antibiotics nothing else he saids tylenol makes him feel weird and doesnt do anything not even a little bit he saids i call doc but they said theres nothing stronger im worried