There are so many negative posts about adult tonsillectomies and I wanted to share my experience.

I had my tonsillectomy on December 20th, 2012. It was over really quickly and I could talk for the first few hours. I was prescribed Lortab elixir and a Medrol dose pack. I took the Lortab every 4 hours.

I ate applesauce, mashed potatoes, and jello, and drank water and chicken broth pretty much exclusively for the first week and a half. I was really cautious and it's really uncomfortable to move your mouth or bite down. WARNING: On my 4th day I tried to eat a strawberry and banana smoothie and that really hurt. My fourth day was probably my worst. The smoothie hurt and made me nauseous, and I was drugged and loopy and the thought of throwing up made me cry, and crying really hurt too. It was just altogether unpleasant.

I couldn't talk for the first 5 days, that part really sucked. However, I never became dehydrated (dangerously so, anyway. If I DID get dehydrated, it wasn't enough to have any bad effect), never threw up, etc. I don't remember the scabs falling off at all. 

I stayed with my parents for my recovery and my mom was AMAZING. If you're going to get an adult tonsillectomy, you need someone to take care of you. My mom would wake me up in the middle of the night to give me my meds and water. She was the best nurse ever. If you're going to get a tonsillectomy, TELL YOUR MOMMA! You need her!

I promise you're not doomed if you get your tonsils out.

It's been 1 month, and I'm SO GLAD I had my tonsillectomy!! 

Hi all, I'm 32 years and I had my tonsils out on January 4, 2013 and 3 weeks later I'm about 80% better.  I say 80%, not because of pain (which is almost none at all anymore), but because there are a few things that still bother me.  The first 3 days were probably the worst.  I was recommended to eat COLD stuff like popsicles, cold water, and ice cream.  In my case it was the total opposite on what I could tolerate.  Cold stuff hurt like hell and warm soups were the best.  I was able to eat Jello fine, but i had to do it very slowly and let it dissolve in my mouth.  I also did what I now know as being the dumbest thing I could've done... on day 4 I got on a plane and went to visit my parents during my recovery.  I was okay during takeoff and through the entire flight, but the last 10 minutes were the worst ever.  My ears popped so bad as we were landing and since it hurt to swallow I couldn't unclog my ears.  It felt like they were about to explode and bleed.  When I got off the plane, my parents met me at the airport and I couldn't even hear myself speak for about 20 minutes.  Huge recommendation...DO NOT FLY for at least a week after your tonsillectomy.  After day 4 I was able to eat creamier soups and I only experienced pain while I slept.  I'm a side sleeper and I think part of my was putting pressure on my throat and it caused it to ache. 

Now for a week after surgery.  I was able to eat very well cooked pastas now, but still nothing frozen (I never got the privilege of eating ALL THE ICE CREAM I CAN HANDLE :'( ).  Cold water was still hurting my throat and I would have to let it get down to just a little cooler than room temperature.  I also tried eating spicy foods like chicken tortilla soup and salsa...that burnt like crazy.  The pain went away while I slept and I was starting to speak a little better now.

Week 2 wasn't too bad.  I now started eating oatmeal, cereal, soft meats and not too tangy fruits.  I was able to tolerate chips as long as I crunched them up in my mouth to nothing before I swallowed. 

Week 3 is now alot better, but the one problem I'm having is not being able to smell and taste certain things.  Sweet foods taste bland and sometimes bitter.  I also can't smell perfumes or colognes.  I think it's just weird but I hope this is just a temporary side effect. 

All in all I have been able to breathe and sleep better.  Even my mom told me that I didn't snore anymore, which was a major concern of hers pre-surgery.  I have been getting 8 hours of sleep without waking up in the middle of the night, when before I would get 5 hours of sleep tops and wake up every hour.  I don't regret having my tonsillectomy (of course the first few days I was cursing myself for doing this).  I hope everyone that decides to go through this has a full and speedy recovery.  Good luck everyone!!