My doctor didnt answer some questions i have. I am a 22 Year old Female I had my tonsillectomy 11 days ago and I dont know when i can have soft drinks because of the carbonation, when can i have wine and alcohol, when can i use mouth wash... when can i have solid foods? A lot of questions went un answered.
Any answers you could give me i would really appriciate.
Thanks!

i've been wondering the same thing, i'm an 18 year male and i'm only on day 7 now, but i feel really good. i think that i'm going to try drinkin in the next 2 or 3 days, i think i'm healing a lot faster than everybody else for some reason. a lot of people have said they were still in pain for 2 weeks after, and i hardly have any pain at all.

My son just had tonsillectomy 9 days ago. His surgeon said no carbonated drinks, caffeine, or alcohol for 2 weeks. Of course, he is still in so much pain that he can barely get down water and gatorade.

Our 21 year old daughter had her tonsils and adnoids out 10 days ago and has been to the emergence room twice due to dehydration, excessive pain and inability to swallow due to swelling. It has been a nightmare and she is still sick. Our 23 year old had hers out in May and was better in a week. This one is still suffering from extreme throat and ear pain and has now developed an upset stomach, probably due to all the meds, I assume.

I am 20 Years old and i am getting my tonsils out in 6 days and i am very scared, please tell me its not so bad, i am not looking forward to the pain, how long is the average recovery.

It will be 3 weeks on Thursday and I still can't eat normally. Chloreseptic with the goo in the middle are the best things going. They don't burn; just numb and they don't have menthol in them so they aren't yucky.

Best advice I can give you....take your pain medicine religiously and drink lots of water!

Good luck to you!

I am 26 years old and I had my tonsils out on January 28th, two weeks ago today. I was terrified beforehand, reading posts of from people in severe and excruciating pain. I am here today to post because for all of you who are nervous or as terrified as I was: Do NOT cancel, and just do it. It really wasn't all that bad!

Sure, it hurts. But eat as many ice chips as you can handle, stay hydrated, and get an ice pack for under your neck/chin area, and get a heating pad for your ears. Drink until you can drink no more! Brothy soups, powerade, popsicles and ice cream all helped me out tremendously. Mashed potatoes were tough, I could only do them after my pain meds, and oddly enough, pudding was the worst and made my throat very sticky.

If you're nervous, please, take a deep breath and know that once it is over, you'll never have to deal with all of the tonsil c**p again. The pain won't be as bad as you think (and I am a pain BABY! so please believe me. I was pleasantly surprised), and it'll be a huge relief just to have this done and behind you.

i agree with ianey1214, i had my tonsils out on the 11th feb and i am practically healed, i can eat anything i hardly need any pain relief, but everyone is different, i was soooooooo nervous, i cried all the way to the hospital, but look atme now almost back to normal and it aint even been a week, if other people are scaredi would tell you not to be but we are all different good luck to those goin in :-D

I had my tonsils out 4 weeks ago. I have the most annoying fuzzy feeling in the back of my throat. What the heck is that?? Anyone else have this??

I had my tonsils out on the 13th Febraury.
I'm still in pain, throat is slightly sore... BUT for some reason have really bad toothache, my jaws and teeth are just constantly aching... don't know if this is anything to do with having my mouth clamped open or what ?
But all in all, I feel quite good, seeing as it's only been a week. Feel alot better than I thought I would anyway!
When the pain was at it's worse I was thinking why did I have this done, but in the long run it's the best option!

Hello, I just had my tonsils removed today. It is a pain. The worst part I believe is clearing your throat. Swallowing is bad enough, but clearing your throat is awful. I sure hope I heal soon. I really like to eat!! XD Also, how were you guys on sleeping? I am afraid to go to sleep in a bed for tonight or tommorow night because of the pain?

Thanks
Justin

I have that fuzz feeling too! I had mine out on 2/26. I have intense ear pain too - I am thinking about heading to the ER. Help?! :-(

First off i want to post on here because all the information that I have gotten off this site has been very helpful to me. I had my surgery last Tuesday March 25th 2008. It is now Sunday the 30th and I am not really in much pain, but still cant eat anything solid. I am very eager to get back to my normal routin, but am going to wait it out until I really feel I am ready. I still have alot of the white on the back of my throat, and tired to get off the pain meds yesterday(went 18 hours without it) and now I am back on the stuff. Dont need it every 4 hours anymore, but when I am in pain i take it. I am ready to smoke (weed) and have a few beers, but am not willing to take the risk just yet. I will wait til at least next weekend before thinking of doing either. Been hard thougth.... I am a UNC fan and we are going to the Final 4... tough not drinking or smoking watching these games!! I will update everyone middle of this week or by next Sat to let everyone know how I progress..... but my advice for anyone wanting to drink or smoke.... WAIT!!! The horror stories I have read on here just dont seem worth it. I have not experience any problems... bleeding,severe pain, or ear pain. I have been drinking water like crazy!!! Bout 1.5 gallons a day. All I have been eating since the operation is Chicken Noodle soup! Today I just had a baked patato from Wendys. My first meal other then soup in 6 days. Not sure how much weight I have lost..but guess about 10lbs. Again... those of you wanting to drink and smoke...just wait it out.... wouldnt it suck to smoke, and then have to go throught this sh*t again!!!! thats how I have been thinking. Good luck to everyone...I will let you all know whats up by next Sat!!!!

It's been a week since mine, I had the same fuzzy feeling too! I had a post op doctor appointment today and he said that it's my throats defense for the scarring or something weird? I also have tonsssssss of white goo all in the back of my throat that tastes and smells horrible, yucky.

Might I add that this was THEEEEEEE WORSTTTTTTTTT pain that I've ever been in? This is also not my first surgery and I am very pain tolerant,

hello!
Im due to have my tonsils out thursday, iv been reading the posts and alot of you have said your dr has told you not to drink fizzy drinks, im confused and worried because my dr recomended that i drink mostly fizzy drinks!
Is the pain realy as bad as i fear?