I am an 18 year old male who lives in upstate NY, and have been smoking pot pretty much daily since I was 15. The reason I am doing this is because lately I am really noticing a lack in motivation, self worth, and my appearance is starting to take a negative turn. Smoking daily with my friends has just become a regular activity, and I'm sick of the same depressed thoughts and stupid anxiety that I am causing myself by keeping things hidden in my house, and not trying to look high.

I will be attending a very good university in exactly 2 weeks, and I would like to call myself a non-smoker. Just hearing myself say that brings brightness to thoughts, and hope in my future. Being an average student throughout highschool while smoking pot was easy, getting mostly B's with a few C's and once in a while an A was good enough to get into college, but everyone in my family always told me I could do better. After being caught smoking a few times by my parents, they knew why I was always lazy and didn't look my best. That haunted my thoughts for a while, but then I got to be a little older and got on my high horse of "I can do whatever I want."

After a 2 week binge of what I would say was the heaviest of my smoking days (about 4-6 times a day) and taking pills to mellow out, I have had an epiphany; I don't know what it's like to be an active, motivated, adult. I spend my days working for 5 hours, buying an eight off my friend, and just smoking and drinking at whoever's house we get the chance to do so at. This is why I have decieded to completely quit smoking marijuana, and cigarettes (been smoking about 4-8 a day for around 8 months or so). Quitting smoking ciggs will not be hard, because there are alot of things I already dont like about them, and I have not smoked for days at a time and felt no cravings or anything like that. Quitting smoking marijuana on the other hand will be an entire change in the way I live my life. Mainly I am excited to not have to spend 20-40 dollars a day on a feeling that I am just sick of, and also things like my appearance and my lack of motivation should improve. That right there is more than enough to get me to quit.

I would like to have as many people as possible read this and post, because that will give me more motivation to actually stop...so I wont be letting you guys down (even though this is primarily for myself)

Wish me luck, and starting tomorrow I will not pick up a pipe, bong, cigarette, joint, bubbler etc....

~Adam

DAY 1

Alright so today kicked off my first day without smoking anything at all. The only thing I can say is that my day was less stressful, thats about it. I have had a headache all day long, and I feel clammy and often experience hot flashes. Mentally I know this is the right thing to do, so that kept me from smoking anything of any sort. I told my friends what I was doing, and why....and they respected it to the fullest. I know most of you are probably thinking that these arent my real friends, just kids I get high with, and that is not the case at all. I grew up with them all, and know them just as well as I know myself. haha, so I guess my irritability is showing a bit, but overall I feel decent.

Another thing that was great that happened today was that I played a pick up game of soccer with all the kids from my high school team (which was great fun) My stamina was shot, but I still got all my skills =]

~Adam

quick question for anyone knowledgeable in marijuana effects.

Does daily use of the drug cause under eye bags/darkness, because I have developed that throughout the years I have smoked....and it sucks badly. I konw its not as bad as I think, but it does make me self conscious at times. Thanks!

!00% it causes undereye black swollen, two of my closest friends are potheads and they both have them. A couple years ago one of them had to quit smoking because of weekly drug tests due to criminal charges, he told me the black circles take months to dissappear beee strong After three months you will be a new man

Hey Max,

You're making a good choice to stop. College and graduate school were in some ways, what high school should have been for me: interesting, engaging and fun. I met a lot of cool and had experiences I will never forget. (And hopefully, it will be the same for you.)

Keep posting and we'll keep reading.

Shalom and Namaste,

Cecerose

Celebrity
Hey Adam!

I think you made a great decision about your life!
New place to live, new people around ... all what comes with it has a great impact on a person (at least it does for me...). I think it makes it even easier to quit some stuff and bring new ones into life. I wish you all the best on the road to become more "adult"... The way I see it, more self aware... I also think sport is a great addiction, if a person must have one 8)
Keep on posting on how you're doing!
Good luck! ;-)

Day 2

On day 2 the headaches went away for the most part, and I did a bunch of college shopping with my mom. The day went by smooth....and for once I felt like I had energy all throughout the day, without drinking coffee or anything like that. We had a party on a mountain near where I live, and we all got wasted......and even being drunk I still said no to smoking with one of my best friends...which was extremely difficult. I admit, I puffed on a cigar for a little while with a friend of mine who was leaving for college the following day, but theres no harm in that really (and I didn't really even enjoy it, cigars gross me out lol). Overall I have been more talkative, and more alert in all aspects of my life. I still feel the same laziness that has been in my life since I can remember, but thats probably going to decrease as my body flushes out toxins that have been poisoning my body for years now; which brings me to my next thought, my new obsession with tea. I read that drinking tea can help the puffiness under my eyes, and it can help flush out all the sh*t in my body, which is really a nice thought since I cant remember the last time I had a clean system.

I also want to thank everyone who has posted a response to my little story. I know im just a kid with the same situation as many others, but doing this gives me some sort of responsibility (besides keeping my own health top notch), which will help me stay clean. Thanks guys!

Hi Adam, are you sleeping okay? I know that's a big deal for people who freshly quit pot but hey you sound to be doing very well! I want to encourage you to keep posting until you feel better 100% and kick this habit for good. Where are you going to college? Do you know what you're going to major in?

Celebrity
I think it takes some time to detox body and get rid of dark circles and puffiness under eyes. My guess is at least 10 days. Green tea is definitely helpful, it is a great source of antioxidants and it will help you get your body back on a track - but do not overdose :-) approx 2-4 cups a day are okay ... I wouldn't suggest drinking it few hours before bed time, because besides the stimulating effect that green tea has, as healthnfitnessguy said, quitting alone can be have negative effects on sleeping.
Btw, water alone is great for detox too.
Besides drinking tea... I heard that lukewarm teabags help remove puffiness: put teabags on your eyes for 10 minutes and relax 8) or instead tea bags cucumber slices XD

This topic is really old so I doubt you are still out there. If you are, I hope you kept up your goal to quit the dope and smokes.

As an over 40 year old man who smoked way too much grass for way many more years than I should have, I can tell you that lack of motivation and self worth is only going to get worse.

I was the guy who was sparking the bowl before brushing my teeth in the morning. I was the dude who was waking up in the middle of the night saying, why not.  I was the dude pulling over on the side of the road on the way to work because I just hit the astro-plains.  The longer you stay in that life style, the harder it will be to get out of it.

I was in my early-mid 30s, good job, no wife, not kids, no girlfriend, not getting laid, just doing the same shlt day after day, week after week. I can honestly say I probably went 4 years straight without NOT getting high every day. 

It literally took the cops busting down my door and have black ski-masked dudes with glocks pointed at my head to say.. damn, maybe I need to quit this shlt.

Let me clue you in on a few things.

Those dudes who want to get stoned and play video games all day, they'll still be going it at 40 and older if you keep smoking. Some of them tend to still live in their parents houses at that age. 

That super-hot chick who likes to sit around and get stoned all day.. she don't exist and if she does, she's not going to be around when you hit your 30s.

That job you want to get so you can get all that cash so you can buy all that stuff… it’s a hell of a lot harder to get and keep that job if you're still getting stoned. Is it possible, sure, but the odds are against you.

Ever see that southpark episode where Stan's dad says, smoking pot wont kill you but it does make being bored seem ok. Its true, its damn true.

Have your fun, party, get stoned, get high, get drunk and then realize that when you hit your mid-20s, you should have that shlt out of your system and its time to get on with life. Partake if you like but don't make a daily habit of it.

This I can't stress enough… People please, if you want to have kids some day, quit doing drugs before you have them. Partying and getting high (especially with you kids) doesn't make you the cool parents, it makes you the pathetic parents.

As far as the cigarettes, just quit that NOW. Its really is the hardest thing you'll ever have to quit and the older you are, the harder it is.

I'm on day 2 of my quitting cigs and pot, and the above post has been the most motivational thing I've seen on the internet. Thank you.

Max,

I am excited to hear that you are on this journey to quit and give you all the props that are out there for you... I  am a first time mom and his dad smokes both- has no desire to quit so I laid down the law- Max ( his name is the same as yours : ) ) and I and no smoking or smoking and neither of us. He said he wanted to quit when I found out I was pregnant- Max is now 5 months old, so it's going on a year and a half of him debating. He lives with his parents as I do with mine. I will not allow him to jeopardize  (apparently that's how you spell it) the health of my son, he has jeopardize mine we used to live together there was several good times but looking back most of the time he was high. I can't believe I never gave him this scenario earlier. We'll have been together 6 years this year. Sorry I am a good rambler... I am so proud that you are doing this and I plan on subscribing so I can show him that there are strong individuals out there and that if he puts his mind to it anything is possible. your life is going to be so much more promising without all that junk, you will be healthier, happier, and a funner person to be around ( especially to us by passers)

Good Luck I can't wait to read more of your story,

Cassie

wow! im 4 days clean now and not lookin back i just like to say thank u too all ur posts, they were very motivational

SOUND ADVICE - VERY SOUND ADVICE - PEOPLE LISTEN TO THIS GUY - HE SPEAKS NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH....

MUCH RESPECT

You go Adam.