Hello, am 29 years old. I have lousy job, haven't dated in any satisfying way in months…and generally am not happy with my current position in life. I'm in on my daily marijuana use which saps me of the tenacity and motivation that I once had. I've been smoking daily since I was 20 and have since surrounded myself with other users. My best friends are also daily smokers, most of whom are likely equally as dissatisfied with their lives but prefer the illusion of contentment. I need encouragement quitting marijuana.

When I asked an acquaintance how he got off marijuana, she said when she quit she quit marijuana with all drug friends along. After hearing that, I realized that is all I have in common with those people; smoking marijuana and people with whom you share a deeper bond than just drug use will still be there once you stop smoking. If possible, join a club, or take a course (art, music, sports etc.) where the focus is on something other than smoking.

bessie-

I have just recently quit after long-term, daily use and am having a terrible time with withdrawal. I didn't even think that was possible. I've realized my entire life became consumed with the use of marijuana, and I'd stopped doing much of anything else at all.

But I'm determined! It's a hard thing to do, but in the long run, I know you (and I) will be healthier and happier as well as have alot more money in our pockets.

If you (or anyone else) would like to talk about quitting marijuana, feel free to email me at *******. It's easier when you don't feel you're alone.

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

Whats up ya'll. Yeah I partake in getting baked. I love it. I'm a relatively anxious, worry wart (always have been, up until herb) and so not only do I like the buzz, I enjoy the less stressed out way in which I conduct myself on it. I do believe I have a happy and content life - you may think this is just an "illusion" brought on by the herbal distortion of reality, but then it's a damn good one. I have many friends, many non-smokers and many "stoners" and some who struggle with much harder addictions like crystal, I also have a few super close best friends, and of my two best friends one smokes with me sometimes, the other once or twics in his life, neither are potheads. I'm in college and I date, most of the girls that I date don't smoke at all, that's just random though. I have a somewhat stupid job, but it works for me.

The fact that you recognize weed has stripped you of your motivation and the fact that you recognize and wish to change the quality of your life, means one thing - - - YOU ARE MOTIVATED! Perhaps, rather than motivation, you problem lies with time management (which I constantly struggle with). If you think you should stop completely the herb, that's up to you. If it is impossible to be with current friends and not smoke, that's not a problem with them, it's a problem with you (one that I gave up fighting against). And who are you to say that your friends are simply deceived by an illusion of content. PERSONAL PERCEPTION IS REALITY!
But it does sound like you need to broaden your playing field, and yes, to people who are passionate about other active healthy hobbies and do not get high. (Me personally found a refuge in hiking, rock climbing, and mountain biking. love the outdoors). Its definitly a good idea that opens ya up to new exciting and motivationally stimulating experiences.

Smoke weed, don't smoke weed - BUT HAVE FUN and meet new people, and definitly date, and outside the smokers pen (damn I guess that leaves me out of the question :'( )

i can relate well to alot of these posts. I quit weed 3 weeks ago, Ive been smoking since i was 15, im now 21. I've tried to quit a few times, but always go back to it. Pot has meant different things to me over the years; an escape from boredom and depression, a tool to aid in my 'quest for self-enlightenment', a prerequisite for a good band jam with my mates.. etc. primarily though, i think i became a daily user in attempt to selfmedicate my moods. I've been diagnosed with bipolar and ive felt that it helps to keep me level. In saying that however, ive been a victim of my own self-deception over the years and today i wonder if even my 'physiological illness' is indeed just another scapegoat for psychological issues i need to overcome.
Our brains thrive on patterns. Repeated thoughts hardwire our brains to think in a certain way under certain circumstances. I created a habit of smoking pot initially as a coping mechanism during the emotional chaos that is natural in adolesence. From that point onwards, whenever things get emotionally tough, my brain automatically thinks of pot as a potential answer to my troubles. But as most of you will know from experience, although weed does wonders to numb you from the pain and stress of negative thoughts and emotions, the effect is short term and it does very little to help the actual problem. all it does is create another problem that YOU WILL EVENTUALLY HAVE TO DEAL WITH. Even if the initial problem disolves you will be left with the nasty residue of a hard to break, ritualistic habit.
despite knowing this i have continued to smoke until now, because I'm forced to quit. My ex-partner left me and took our 3 month old baby boy when she discovered i was secretly smoking (daily). she is now refusing to let me have my boy for unsupervised visits until i can pass a drug test (which she insists will have to be a regular procedure). i have agreed to do it, because i dont like my chances if the case were to go to court. On top of this, i also know on some level that i have the potential to be a stronger more focused, successful person if i manage to stay off the weed. Its not just a matter of not smoking though, as anyone whos tried to quit any addiction will know. you have to work on rewiring your brain, and replacing negative thoughts and behaviour with new healthy ones. Easier said then done, especially when withdrawal leaves you feeling irritable, empty, a little shaky, and sweaty! i can only imagine how hard it is to quit a 'harder' drug habit like Meth (lucky i didnt go down THAT path!).
This has turned into enough of a novel, all thats left to say is, GOOD LUCK TO ANYONE WITH THE COURAGE TO SEEK A BETTER LIFE - FREE FROM ADDICTION! as my old mate 'captain planet' would say... "the power is yyooouuurrrrrssss!" :-P

I feel for you all out there who struggle with addiction. Pot is an illegal drug, even if it has been around for decades. and considered a plant that grows from the earth. You can minimize the fact your life is not that unmanageable and keep on smoking, and find out where drugs can take you down the road.
I had to admit to MYSELF first that I had a problem. I love it myself even to this day going on 4 years clean in August. Yeah, I smoked it for 24 years. My habit progressed into daily use. Not only was it expensive due to my increase in daily use, I was also losing a lot. My energy, my ambition, my focus on my goal in life, my self- esteem, my perspective on life, decisions and education and most of all it changed me from having high expectations to nadda. I didn't care about anything except where I was going to get the next bag. I had enough!!! I didn't care about anything except for me to be high and escape from reality. It was always about ME, ME, ME.
I was caught in this vicious cycle. My so called friends who I hung around smoking weed, didn't give a hoot about me. I do NOT have those people in my life today as a recovering addict. I have support from clean people My obbsession to use has been lifted. It was not easy at first. I had to talk to alot of people who were experiencing what I was going through.
If you white knuckle trying to stop, you are most likely to relapse.
If you admit that smoking weed brings you down and that you cannot control the consumption of use. There is your start. No, WE cannot do this alone. Reach out and ask for help!!! Today my life is much better. I can face my feelings and live life and be truly happy.

my husband is a marijuana smoker. He smokes every single day at least a dozen times a day. I've never smoked it before, nor have I ever used any type of drug, so I guess you could say I'm naive, and I do not understand addiction. I hate to say that because I don't want to sound inconsiderant. He is most definitely addicted however. He doesnt drink, or smoke cigarettes, or do any other types of drugs. I was wondering how marijuana affects people differently, because in his case I have noticed drastic changes in his personality and even physically. Like the other girl on here, he has lost wait also. He does get the munchies, but it's almost like he would rather smoke than eat. He has been smoking weed regularly for four years and in those four years he has lost all self asteem, he also has had many bouts with the thought that he is dying, of many different ailments. His latest is that he believes that his source might be lacing the supply with emballming fluid. Which leads me to my next point, suspicion. At this, he has no boundries. His biggest suspect has been me. We got married the year that we graduated high school (2002), I had never been with anyone else and had no desire to since I was in love with him from the moment I saw him. He started smoking in our second year of marrige and thats when the accusations started as well. He started thinking that I was cheating on him. He let it consume his every thought, and there was no limits as to whom he thought that I would mess around with.( His best friends, his cousin, and even my step brother, I'm 24 and our parents have been married since I was 7, so he's definately my brother in our eyes.) It's completely rediculous, and after four years it's only gotten worse. He's often irritable and anxious and thats while smoking, not trying to quit. I love my husband very much and he's a good man who works very hard to take care of me, but I need help getting him to quit, and understanding him and his addiction with the patience he needs me to have.

I'm so happy i researched the topic of "marijuana withdrawals" because i relate so well to many of these post. I have recently turned 17 and have been smoking weed since i was 15. At first i never even felt the high and didn't really care for it. I've always had an escapist personality and a sort of lack of stimulation to socialize which i think is what led me to this spiraling addiction. After I started getting really into it, I was smoking everyday, sometimes at the back of my school, sometimes mere feet from my family. Before everything i had to do it, because otherwise the disappointment with all of humanity's mediocrity was too strong. lol
I'm an aspiring actor, so I'd also used it as an artistic inspiration- every time i would act and be high, the feeling of sincerity and enlightenment were increased in my mind, (I really could never tell if the audience felt this too though).
And because of my upbringing in a Spanish catholic family, I am coming to the reality that if my parents ever found out I would be immediately thrown into rehab, which I'd rather commit suicide then go through that.
So through self-discipline I've been trying to quit, and now I'm spending my summer in a state where I have no connections so I'm pretty much forced to not pass on grass and it sucks, both physically and mentally.
Actually, I don't even really care for the physical withdrawal symptoms, what most scares me is the idea that I will never get over the desire to be high, or that I won't find the mental stimulation I had while being on it. I haven't smoked in a week, which now I feel so slow and dumb in all of my thoughts.
Even if I do something good, I put myself down because I know I could of done it better high..or in other words more "artistically authentic"
I think the hardest part is the idea of settling for a "schmuck" kind of life.
And on top of that I've never been a conformist.
Thus, making me believe that I was always meant to smoke and have no hope fighting against it.
Well either ways, i will probably not smoke for a month and a half and I'll see where that takes me, but I know it's waiting back at home..

I wish all the positive light in the world to those trying to quit, and really to those who have never tried it, don't. Marijuana can be a beautiful thing, like all hallucinogen drugs, until it takes over your life

I've been smoking daily for 16 years and was forced to quit for almost a year about two years ago. The first few days were rough and I just waited for the craving to go away. For almost every day of that time I waited for the craving to go away. Nothing else took the edge off like a little herb, and the craving never went away. Every time I'd get drunk it would be in the back of my mind keeping me from contentment. I mean nothing would take the edge off. Finally, I was able to start again and it was like I'd never left. I wish I'd never started but since I have I dont' think I can ever stop. I've always gotten by rather easily, and it's not forcing me to prostitue or anything, but I do have difficulty holding jobs because I always get an 11 month itch, and I always thought I'd do more with myself. I have a house and a wife and a decent life, but I know that IT is holding me back... or maybe IT's just an excuse I use for not doing more. Either way, as a piece of advice, don't start.

Been off the stuff for a little over 2 weeks now after a year and a half of smoking heavily every day from morning too noon, the worst of the withdrawals are over but im getting a weird (dirty) stoned feeling when i eat and i am still very sad! Is it actually possible to get stoned from food or is it just something in my head? I have no desire to smoke again (besides the odd craving) but life doesn't seem to be as good. will i ever feel good again?