I quit smoking cigarettes 2 weeks today.  I was occasionally smoking the electronic cigarette (Blu), which I stopped 3 days ago.  So, I have been totally nicotine free for 3 days, and free from the other poisons for 14 days.  For the past 2 weeks, I have been experiencing heart palpitations daily, especially when I am sitting on my couch (relaxed).  I went to the ER, and everything was fine with my blood pressure and pulse.  The EKG showed that I was having palpitations, and I was told everyone gets them, it's just some that people don't feel them and some do - and to contact a cardiologist if I am still concerned.  I am 40 years old, and have smoked for 23 years.  Besides having thick phlegm in my chest, I have not experienced any side effects (no coughing).  Just palpitations and feeling like my heart is not beating properly every time I am relaxed.  How long is this going to last????

This is normal. I am 8 months into my quit and still get them from time to time along with a bit of anxiety. All of these symptoms did not exist before I quit so I know it's related. I went to the ER a few times in the begining to find out everything was normal. The racing heart is from anxiety. Go see your doctor get a prescription for an anti anxiety med to help you through the begining quit. Many people don't which is why I think they go back to smoking. It takes time for your body and mind to heal but it will over time. There are many posts about this on this site. Also get a full physical with blood work. This will ease your mind as well. Good luck.

Keith

Thank you Keith, this makes sense since I have anxiety issues as it is. I already have a prescription for Xanax which I was taking occasionally. When I quit smoking, I also stopped drinking, and taking the Xanax and Nexium. This is all because I am trying to get pregnant. So, my body is probably like "what the hell is going on here?" My husband suggested taking a magnesium pill, which I did about 2 hours ago and I feel very calm and the palpitations seem to have lessened somewhat finally. I am now enjoying a glass of wine as well. I think I am just trying to do too much at once. One thing I will not do it light up again though because I am not starting to go through this ever again!!!!! Congrats to you on 8 months ~ that is WONDERFUL!!!!!!! Oh, and because of stomach issues I had a complete series of blood work done is January and all is ok there. I will be getting a physical soon anyway, since I am a 40 year old trying to conceive. Can you tell me what happened with your phlegm situation (sorry to be gross), but I have been doing Mucinex, neti pot, water, herbal tea with honey and lemon, steam and juices. And everyday, I feel it lingering in my chest and throat. I have yet to cough ANYTHING up yet...

Great time to quit since you are trying. You will find better ways to combat your anxiety now that you quit smoking. In 8 months, I have not had any phlegm issues and I smoked 28 years and am 45 yrs old but what you are doing will help it just takes time. I did have ulcers from the stress but the Nexium healed them and I have been great for 5 months. There are others here that still have issues a year later and I can believe it since I am myself after 8 months, all mental at this point. Before quitting, I was easy breezy never had anxiety or stress but from what I have read smoking can hide those symptoms? I'm sure with time they will pass since I am much better now than I was in month two or three. Do some light exercise take a good vitamin B stress complex and a good omega 3 like country life mood support which has a high EPA. By taking these you will see that you will not need to use the Xanax as much or at all after a while. Good luck with the quit and conceiving. Having kids is a gift I have two boys 13 and 16 and blessed they are good and healthy.

Keith

I am going to ask my doctor what is good to take since I am getting alot in the prenatal vitamins. Got really bad palps earlier and the magnesium is helping again. My husband swears it is from the Mucinex DM that I took 5 hours ago (and have been taking daily several time a day). I figured anything that wasn't a "D" would be fine. So, not taking that anymore. In the meantime, I have an appointment with a cardiologist on Thursday. Wish me luck! I need to start exercising again, I am gaining weight and until I get pregnant, I have no excuse except for my fear of having a heart attack! : P

Your husband is right Mucinex will do that. Stay off of it. Your lungs will clear by themselves. I'm sure your heart will check out fine. Good luck

Evana316079,

Just wondering how you are doing, did the palps ever go away, did you find out what was causing them? I am 30 yrs old and quit smoking 6weeks ago 2 weeks in I began having palpitations when I would lay down for bed at night and then they started occurring more often and during the day. I went to the hospital about 3 weeks ago only to find out everything tested out fine, my vitals are normal, blood work came back clean, chest xray and cat scan were all good. The palps however are not getting any better and make it almost impossible to sleep at night. Once the first one happens the anxiety that comes with it is so bad I almost feel as if it is triggering a panic attack. I have began an (80mg) aspirin regiment per my doctor, I also have doubled my water intake, started taking a multivitamin daily, and exercising nightly. The exercising is scary, even a slow jog with cause my chest to get tight and sometimes trigger palps. I just want to know if there if I will ever feel better again as apposed to be scared all the time.

I am in the same situation today I am 30 days smoke free and the palps. Come and go but do get worse at night .water intake helps I also know when I can relax the slow down .tonight they started I thought I was going to pass out I thought geez maybe quitting isn't worth this I'm assured they will go away but I feel horrible and I am afraid to exercise

OMG, i have quit smoking and its been 20 days. i am getting these irregular palps and sometimes i feel like i may die. This is the only thing that makes me feel quitting is bad. i wish it will be over soon.

Thanks to all the tips here, I figure palps are kind of expected. 8 days nicotine free! Thanks folks

So did your heart palpitations go away?

I have been nicotine/tobacco free for 2 weeks and have also been experiencing heart palpitations daily. I listened to my heart for several minutes with my stethoscope and heard no extra heart sounds so I'm sure it's nothing crazy but it sure is scary when it happens. It doesn't hurt for me at all- just feels fluttery in my chest. Deep breaths help mine go away but hopefully in time they stop happening altogether. Good job to everyone on here for quitting!! I'm so proud of myself & all of you.

I saw my cardiologist and he put me on a very small dose of an drug to help the palpitations. It has only been a month since I quit but it has scared me . He said that it would get better.

I had last last cig 1 month ago and having the same problem as you guys.. Of all i think palpitations and Anxiety is killing me... Anyway to speed up the withdrawal process? Eg more exercise? Any special diet?

Just go green . Vegetables, seeds, nuts. No sugar, less red meat. Never processed food