This post is an extension of the

Motivation quitting marijuana thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

hello,

First time posting on this site. Glad I found it.

Well I started somking the herb steadily (2-3 joints per day) when I was 18 (now 30). At the time I was really into Rastafari, the Dead etc. However, over the years I drifted away from these things and got new hobbies and intersts. One thing that had remained constant though is herb smoking.

While I have tried to quit both tobacco and herb numerous times I have always tried to quit them one at a time. This time I decided to quit both at the same time. To be honest, I have questioned my sanity many times over the last bit. I smoked my last cigarette and joint 3 days ago and am wondering which drug is causing which withdrawl symptom.

The insommnia ain't so bad as it gives lots me of time read again. I am a stay at home dad so I can share naps with my daughter during the day. But the body aches are killing me! My calves have been 2 knots for the last couple days and I'm worrying that this might be caused by the Nicorette I am chewing (there is a note in the instructions about sore legs and seeing your doctor). has anyone else experienced this leg pain?

Also, I have read on other websites that the worst part of the herb quit is around day 8-10. On this site I have seen day 3-4. Any insight from anyone who is past these points?

Our counter-culture society has protrayed the herb as something good and unjustly crimminalized. But the way I see it now is that it is a drug and hope that it is NEVER legalized!

Sorry for the long-winded post. I hope that all trying to get rid of the herb from their lives find success.

Hey qajaq,
Wow! Weed and cigs at the same time! Props to you-that's tough. I've also been a smoker of both from 17-31 years of age. I quit the herb first (two weeks ago tomorrow), and plan to quit cigarettes in the next year or two. If I did both at once, you'd see me on the evening news!!
Anyhow, I don't know about the Nicorette, but definately check with your doctor if you're concerned about the leg cramps. For the first few days after I stopped, I had a general achiness in my back and legs,but it went away. Stretching and exercise helped a lot.
While the first few days were the hardest in terms of physical symptoms, and breaking your normal routine of herbal reward, in my experience, it gets a little harder in the second week. By that point, you are feeling better, and your mind starts to say things like "What's the big deal? I could handle a little puff." I'd say two weeks to two months is the real temptation danger zone. If you're serious about quitting, give it a solid three months minimum, to see how you feel when it's fully out of your system, and it's no longer a part of your recent routine. Best of luck to you!!

qajaq wrote:

because you're having a hard time quitting, you think its bad and should never be legalized? Nice.

qajaq wrote:

I have an extremely successful life and I partially thank smoking marijuana for it.

breebree89 wrote:

qajaq wrote:

qajaq wrote:

Then why don't you find a board celebrating weed smoking and sign up rather than raining contempt down on those fellow weed hounds trying to quit?

Take it easy, breebree. I agree with you that weed should be decriminalized,
but why bust on someone who's just expressing their opinion? Noone is saying that YOU have to quit. I think pot should be legal, so that responsible adults can enjoy it without the threat of going to prison. I mean, alcohol is legal. Many people use it responsibly. But would you criticize an alcoholic who was trying to get sober? Qajaq is just trying to improve his life, and it's up to him to decide how to do that.
Besides, if your so completely into weed, what are you doing on this forum? It's for people who are trying to quit to support eachother. Go out and do something constructive instead of picking on people who are already going through a tough time!

Anyhow, to the rest of you, how's it going? It's now day 18 for me. Here's a few things I've noticed:
The night time cravings are getting less strong.
My mood is more stable already. I was never real nasty, but I used to get irritated much faster, and would sometimes snap at my girl over small stuff. I have much more patience these days!
Even though I still smoke cigs, I don't have that chronic cough anymore.
Sleeping is getting much easier than in the first week.
I do still miss it though!
Tex, how's it going for you?

I'm right there with ya bro....Day 19 and things are getting MUCH better/easier all the way around.

It's kinda crazy how fast it's gone by actually.

I don't hack anymore...still have some lung/chest congestion but minimal. I think MUCH more clearly throughout the day, and I know I'm more patient and don't snap as much like you say. That's one of hte big reasons I wanted to stop/clean out is because I was getting mad at everything int he world it seems, now it's like that has just vanished.

While I don't have insomnia like i did, I still haven't settled into a good sleeping pattern yet...been dreaming a lot but I wake up several times throughout the night.

Sure was nice to turn down my "guy" and see that extra $1200 sitting in the bank account. I think I'm going to buy a piece of furniture or plan a fishing trip this summer with that cash.....as a reward to myself.

No more washing the hands, brushing teeth, using mouthwash...all the stoner tricks...and it's nice not to have to hide and sneak around.

My tough times are weekends and sometimes at night when I get home...I get that feeling "damn, i sure would love to get high right about now" but it goes away quickly and I don't dwell on it like i did the first few days.

Overall the fog is lifting, I am thinking more clearly, I think I am more pleasant for otehrs to be around and I can actually see a life without weed and it might be ok. heh

Stay strong!

TH

Hey, I've been going over these posts since the first thread and I must say it's what I needed.

I've been a regular user since I was 16, now 10 years later it's pretty much every day. I've been feeling depressed lately, I've never had any big anxiety problems before, a few days ago I guess it got to me... What the F*ck Am I Doing With my life !

I started this brand new job in September, it's great, I love it. But it's only contract work for the first year, so in-between contracts I find myself having a lot of free time. Not a good thing, instead of doing what I like (Photography, Cycling, getting lost in the woods), I wake up, have a coffee and light up... have another coffee, light up again.
Some days I go out and do my stuff, but mostly I just lazy around, do stuff on the PC or just watch TV... It's so not me ! It's almost as if I prefer the mello feeling to the "rush and clarity" of being straight, I feel like I don't wanna bother with doing stuff unless it's "instantly" rewarding.

I've quit weed for 2 months about 1 1/2 year ago, I loved it, I though I'd never smoke again. I kept in shape, went out with my buddies all the time, had projects going on, had a perfect roomate until sh*t happened, I moved back to my dad's for a month and I fell back on my old habits. Started smoking and 'chilling again, the fact that an old smoking buddy lived down from my dad's didn't help too much. So I got another place a month later but I took my smoking habit with me and it stuck good. I guess you could say it's been downhill from there.

But this time it's like I'm apprehensive at the thought of quitting, I feel like I don't have the drive, only laziness is keeping me from being straight.
I know it must be done, I'm taking the first steps today.

Thanks for the time !

QC...I understand completely. I read the entire thread 3 weeks ago as well.

Today is the day I quit 3 weeks ago and believe me.

Let me tell ya...I am totally enjoying the "clarity" as you put it. I am more outgoing, I am living life more, I am more pleasant (I think) to others, and am getting in shape again.

It's tough at first, I won't deny. while I don't jones anymore, I do want to get high from time to time. As Drum said, thats the old me talking and it's the danger zone...ahh just one session wouldn't hurt....but i know it would.

I think you'll find that you return to all those things of interest within 1-2 weeks, maybe faster.

You can do it...keep us posted!

TH

lol i just realized my nickname shortened is one letter short of THC. Damn

Hey reading all this is very refreshing because I feel like no one really understands what I am going through. I havent smoked in 6 days and I feel great.

I smoked in high school a bit but never really go into until university. I started out smoking once a week, then a few times a week, then every day but only at night, then after dinner, when 3 years had passed I was doing it everyday al day just to survive. The irony is that getting high now is not getting high at all, it's getting numb. When i first started doing it, it was mind blowing, now i get barely anything from it but it's such a comfort that I havent given it up.

In high school and early university I was a multi sport athlete with a great social life and lately I don't have the motivation to do anything that takes me out of the house. I havent lost friends but I don't talk to alot of my friends as much as I used too. I would be worried when a friend would call because I knew they probably wanted to do something and all i wanted to do is be stoned alone, that's just sad. Eventually, like alot of other people on here, i said to myself what am I doing with my life? do i want to look back on my life and my best years and not remember a thing because I was stoned the whole time? Weed eventually sucks the life out of you and makes you a zombie.

I have tried to quit before but I don't think I had the mindset that I do now. I still have an urge to do it but whenever I do i just remember how badly it was taking me down. Let's be honest, sometimes life sucks, but even when your feeling bad at least your feeling, I will take that any day over numbing the pain, you gotta face it sometime.

Hi everyone. It's been a while, so I thought I'd check in. It's now day 25 for me, and I'm feeling great! Tex, I'm still feelin' you. No more cravings per se, but the occasional emotional spell of wanting to get baked. I am feeling a lot better, getting out more, and being more active physically. Dreams have been coming back with force! I'm talking vivid, crazy-ass dreams, sometimes nightmares. I guess now that the fog has lifted, a bunch of stuff is becoming visible within my mind.
Another thing: I'm not bored! I was always afraid that without weed, life would be dull and routine. Not at all. I feel calmer, more centered, and stronger of mind. My girlfriend of eight years and I laugh even more than we used to, and get along better in general. I guess I'd say there's a feeling of increased control over my life, and that feels awesome!! How's everyone else? I noticed a couple new folks on here. Stick with it you guys (or gals), because it will pay off. Good luck!! MK

I feel you...I quit smoking after smoking daily for about 3-4 years and 10+ times a day the past year or so. I quit about two weeks ago and things are going well. I am even in a rehab program (3-hour classes, 3 days a week) and the doctor prescribed me an anti-depressant to help with the withdrawal (mostly needed help sleeping). I also was sweating a TON....sheets, pillows everything soaked. The sweating has gone done a lot. I also am having some crazy dreams but my medication helps a lot with my sleeping. I feel as though I wasted the past few years of my lfe because of smoking (see below). I am currently trying very hard to change my life. As I said above, I am in rehab classes and also attend NA meetings. I am getting new hobbies and trying to do some volunteer work.

Luckily, I did not have many physical consequences to my smoking...I did very well in college (out for two years now), have a great job and getting married next year. However, emotionally and mentally, the THC caused me lots of harm. It was what I looked forward to each day and I was not happy unless I was high. I had to smoke before I did ANYTHING in order for me to have a positive attitude. It also affected my motivation...I thought everything was pointless, so I would just get high...if I had to do something I would, but I would always have to smoke up before. I also did not want to hang around my friends that I could not openly discusss smoking with/smoke around/smoke with me. I would hope my girlfriend would go to sleep early just for me to smoke. On top of all of this, weed was my real only hobby and interest...spending hours everyday smoking and researching etc... All in all, I knew I had to stop smoking and change my lifestyle.

Bad, keep it up and stay strong.

Drum, i'm still hanging tough. Yesterday was the 1 month mark which is a great milestone for me personally. I went to the beach for 4 days and was around 6 stoners and I stood strong. I'm proud of myself and several of my buddies there this weekend who know me well were giving me props too.

Hell yeah I wanted to get high really bad. I'd never THINK of going out of town and especially for a drinking/fishing weekend with the buddies and not have a big sack of kind. Damn

My dreaming is picking up too...last night I think I dreamed hte entire night. I'm reading a lot and I think I dreamed all night about the book I'm reading hehe.

Y'all stay strong and hang in there. Yes, the first week will be very tough but it's mind over matter and your will power will carry you through. If you are truly ready, you will do it. If not, you will succumb. There is life out there with no weed, you will get back into your hobbies and you won't sit around trying to figure out how to do things with no dope or wonder how you will face the weekend, go to a movie etc with no dope. Every day will get better and you'll have more clarity...you'll be more socially active with your friends and family.

I've always wanted to learn how to play the acoustic guitar and I am thinking strongly of taking lessons. I may start up martial arts lessons again too.

Life can be good w/ out weed. Stay strong.

TH

Bad & Drum....you still with me?

This past weekend was another big test. I finally sold off some of my stash to a good friend who I encouraged to smoke some here at the house...I had to at least smell the smoke and it was nice. I really wanted to toke with him but held back. Last Friday I had another big urge...BIG. Fought it off though.

I still haven't returned to a good sleeping pattern...well really it's when I go to bed. I am exhausted, ready to sleep, fall asleep reading my books and then when I turn the light off I sit there and flip around like a fish out of water. Sucks bad.

I've been finding it MUCH easier to replace those smoking times with other activities and things. My appetite has returned. Dreaming big time.

One weird thing is when I wake up in hte am, sometimes I feel like I'm just exhausted. Feel like a heavy blanket is on my head/brain....don't know if that's due to heavy dreaming etc but it seems to be worse when I have vivid dreams.

Picked up an acoustic guitar yesterday. I've always wanted to learn and I'm going to take a few lessons.

Keep me updated guys.

TH

Hey everyone. Drum here. Today is day 44 with no weed! I'm sorry, Tex, I havn't checked in in a bit. Things are going very well. I have occassional urges to puff, but they're getting less and less frequent. Most days, I don't even think about weed at all! For me, that's crazy. I never thought I could go for days on end without smoking, much less without it even entering my thoughts. I have to say, everything for me is better without it. My mood, the way I interact with others, my motivation, and my level of performance at work and on stage have all improved. I'm also saving a lot of money!
Tex, that sucks that your still having trouble sleeping well. Have you tried meditation or breathing exercises? I'm guessing you're familiar with that stuff from martial arts. Also, try physical exertion. I got a landscaping job about three weeks ago. I love working with my hands outside, and I sleep like a bear!
For those of you who are just quitting, you CAN do it! I was a giant stoner, all day every day for almost thirteen years, and back then I could not deal with not having weed. I thought I'd never be happy or functional without the sweet green. I was wrong! Believe in yourself!