My father is an alcoholic for the past several years. Recently, he was diagnosed with appendicitis. He had his appendix removed but had not stopped drinking. My question is about alcohol and appendicitis. Is it possible that the alcohol caused the inflammation of the appendix?

If the alcohol was the cause of the appendicitis, I am sure that the doctors would have told your father. I am sorry to hear that he has a problem with the alcohol. Appendicitis is an inflammation of the appendix and it is a pretty dangerous condition. There are 2 clinical types of appendicitis, catarrhal and obstructive. It occurs in both sexes and all ages are affected. However, it usually occurs in the persons between the ages of 10 and 30. Also, it is more common in males. The appendix is easily infected due to its fullness of virulent organisms, inadequate blood supply and poor drainage. The wall of the appendix contains much lymphoid tissue. This appears to be a factor in the localization of infection. The most common symptom of appendicitis is usually central abdominal pain which is often accompanied by anorexia, nausea and vomiting. The pain is sudden, intermittent and gradually progressing and it has a dull aching character. This pain is due to distention of the appendix. After several hours the abdominal pain becomes maximal and shifts to the right lower quadrant of the abdomen. I hope that your father will come to his senses and stop drinking.

I'm in the marine corps and drink 2 energy drinks a day for the past 3 monthes. 3 weeks ago I had my appendix removed I think you may be right maybe they have something in common preferably if you actually know what you are talking about