Community Administrator
I'm quiting drinking and would like to know how long it takes for your body to become alcohol free. I'm having mild to moderate symtoms and have not had a drink for two days. How long do these symtoms last?

Celebrity
My father was a heavy drinker. He used to drink two bottles of brandy a day. Luckily, he wasn’t the aggressive type but there were moments when I was sent to visit my grandmother although I was already 17. He tried quitting so many times but he would usually go back to his bad habit. Not until a man died at his work because of my fathers indirect irresponsibility and he lost his job ( luckily he didn’t end up in prison) did he come to his senses.
I wasn’t at home at the time it was happening but I talked with my mother about it. He was on drugs prescribed by a doctor and mom says it was awful, that he was so lost and nervous but she agreed to help him and he was on detoxification at home. I think the worst part lasted for about a week.
After he had counseling for quite some time but hasn’t drunk ever since.
Later I read that the symptoms can last even longer, depending on how much you used to drink.
My father never got his old job back and is now working at the construction site as a simple worker and he is an architect.

What about you? Are you quitting on your own? I am not so sure if my father would have made it without drugs and counseling!

Hi Bobby... my first 6 hours without a drink and I'm shaking already and can't stop thinking about one... I think counselling may help - thank you