If I drink even the smallest amount of any kind of alcohol my heart races, my eyes burn, and my head hurts.  The next day I always have what feels like a very extreme hangover.  I am realizing that I will have to avoid alcohol all together, but I am curious about any other experiences with this.  I have only been experiencing this for the past few years and for many years I drank wine and beer without any reaction and then all of a sudden I began having reactions.  It seems odd that one would all of a sudden develop an allergy to alcohol.

I am also curious if anyone with a reaction to alcohol has been able to enjoy non-alcoholic beer and wine without trouble?

From what I've read, allergic reactions to alcohol are, for most people caused by inability to digest alcohol because their body doesn't produce the necessary enzymes. But that is genetic condition, such as lactose intolerance or gluten intolerance. Since you are experiencing allergic reaction after you have been able to drink alcohol, than obviously, it's not the alcohol itself that is causing it, but some other ingredient, like additive or some other of many others than alcohol that both wine and beer have. That is why there is a big chance that non-alcoholic versions could cause the same reaction, they probably have the same additives.

I never had any bad reactions after drinking alcohol, except I had a chest pain after drinking alcohol, so that is actually the main reason why I don't drink it. Anyway, when it comes to allergies because it is possible that alcohol can cause or worsen the common symptoms of asthma. Also, it can cause a fever. Some of the symptoms are sneezing, itching, headaches and coughing as well. Those all are the signs that you are allergic to certain drinks, but you should also know that alcohol itself is not always a problem. For example, drinks like beer, wine and liquor contain histamine, that are produced by yeast and bacteria during the fermentation process, 

im 30 and up until 3 years ago drank absilutley every alchoholic drink available! drinking from the age of 18, i ended up in a &e one morning after collapsing following a mild drinking session with my girlfriend. after having about a half a bottle of red wine and the odd beer over a few hours i was lighting up a cigarette when i fealt very hot and dizzy, followed by my heartrate absolutley skyrocketing and beating irratically, i went into a state of utter panic and i fealt my body litterally shutting down. a deathly numbness crept inward from my fingers and toes, as they went numb, i fell over and fealt this numbness spreading inwards till i litterally fealt like i was only alive inside my head, my eyes fealt heavy and i struggled to fight off unconciousness, i even told my gf goodbye as i thought i was about to die! onroute to the hospital my heartrate had come down but it was irratic with odd beats slow then fast as i was hooked up to a monitor. i spent a few hours in hospital and the symptoms dissapeard. it wud be maybe a month before i drank again and wen i did... just a sip made me feel very ill with racing heart, dizzyness, nuasea and very anxious and pannicy. i havent drunk now in over 3 years and ive tested just how tolerent i am to alchohol since, i can taste test but must NOT do so for long! and must rinse moulth out thoroughly with water, i can use alchohol based moulthwash but i do so quiclky and rinse out with water immediatley. i can safely drink 0.0% non alchoholic beer such as becks blue and simmilar. so i know that it indeed must be alchohol itself my body can no longer process and its not yeast or other ingrediants. i would urge anyone with simmilar symptoms to try non alchoholic drinks like becks blue as you cant tell it apart from the normal becks! but if out in public be very carefull not to bother with it in a glass! incase you mix it up with a full alchoholic counterpart when you order seven diff pints out with ya mates! keep it in the bottle and u cant mistake it for the normal red label version! also try non alchy kopperburg aswell but again just read the label carefully if ordering next to a normal version as i believe only the bottle cap itself is different than its normal counterpart. enjoy faking it and mates wundering how your still standing at end of the night!

also additional to my last reply, other symptoms i experienced with just a sip of alchohol (vodka) were bad headache, hot flush and burning of the facial skin, nausia and vomitting, redness of skin and face, severe anxiety, drowsyness, and chest ache plus tingly week leggs? pins and needles in hands. avoiding alchohol and discovering the world of non alchy bevvys is the only answer to this im afraid and dont think you can chew on antihystamine and counteract alchy intolerence/allergy it doesnt work!

i have a similar problem with alcohol, i used to drink with no problem but now if i just taste it, i have a splitting headache for days, i don't know what to drink even when i go to a party ?

I have exactly the same reaction, it started 2 months ago in Seattle. The only difference is i had severe diarrhea and puked all night then more diarrhea for 4 days. Here is where it gets crazy on the 3rd and 4th days my stool was white. i thought no one would believe so I tried to get my wife to witness it so I had someone to confirm my story later but she refused to come look at it. Then I TRIED AGAIN AND AGAIN. For a 3 more days to have 1-3 beers...... Heart raced irratically, nose and fingers went numb and I panicked and was really worried.....I AM REALLY not enjoying this complete sober existence. I want to have a beer but I don't know what to do . Can anyone help?

Same issue. Drank beer and wine for years with no problem. Slowly, over the past few years, when I drink beer or wine I have an increased heart rate and flushing of the face and ears, along with just feeling hot. Yet liquor (rum, etc.) does not do this. Thinking it must be an additive in beer and wine I am having a reaction to. If anyone know of what additive it may be. Please share. Thanks

I totally understand. I miss drinking beer, but even a half bottle will cause a reaction. Sucks!

I think it might be a problem I have too. Not only does my brain burn, my skin crawl and my heart do funny things, alcohol just isn't fun anymore; like at all. A buzz only lasts for about 10 minutes and then I just feel super tired. Sucks, really. Oh how I wish there was another legal recreational something to let me relax after a hard day of work.

I eat alto of hot peppers, is that why my eyes burn so much?

I noticed blurry burning eyes and sharp pains in the front of my head. I also noticed a mucus problem in the morning after a few beers the day before. I Have now tried everything to figure out whats happening but no luck so far. I tried every kind of vodkas, wines and beers. Some beers are very bad! and all Alcohol seems to inflame my symptoms.
Look its hard to give in to the fact You cant savor an Erdinger brew or whatever you love but you are poisoning yourself just by testing your tolerance. I drink 0.0 alcohol beers like Bitburger Drive but they seem to bloat and .O Douls taste great but after 4 or five my symptoms begin to kick in. The beers with 5% alcohol will add up slowly. the other problem is it takes a long time for the nasty symptoms to clear up after the test,yuk.
I even had my neck gland swell a bit after a serious day of drinking and having fun. I have found that I drink way too much coffee now and soda water. I drank three to 6 beers daily for 10 years and I love beer more than any drink and its a b***h that some of us have to deal with these problems. Is it an intolerance, allergy or something else?
Thanks for reading my crazy story and be careful drinking.
RG

Yeast allergy, alcohol has Yeast in it, i also have a bit of an allergy from it as i witnessed from trying larger (which is disgusting lol), i tried it twice on 2 separate occasions, first tme i got 3 big gulps but i just put it aside lol, after about 10 mins i started with a stomach ache, got home from the family party i was at, settled down and my stomach was hurting quite a bit for a day. Second time i tried it i just wanted to test to see if it was the Larger that gave me a belly ache, only took 2 small mouthfuls, low 'n' behold 10 mins after started with a bit fo a belly ache... but wasn't too bad and soon went away since i didn't drink so much of it, but it's clear i'm allergic to beer with higher amounts of yeast in it and i just wonder if it's any good for me to be eating things like bread or anything with yeast in it. I also can't drink any more than 1 glass or bottle of cider or much alcohol without feeling quite icky too, stomach aches along with headache, burny eyes, skin, tiredness and ickyness can all be symptoms of a yeast allergy, are you okay eating bread?, do you ever feel icky after eating it?.

Also when drinking anything like beer or alcohol you may start to eventually devloping an allergy or sensitivty to it, i used to go to clubs for 2/3 years, drank wine, cider, vodka and coke almost every week, then i moved away and it wasn't really the life for me... it's boring lol, and then i never really drank any alcohol for a while, then whenever i did have a drink of alcohol suddenly started feeling REALLY icky after just 2 glasses of cider, so seems i've now developed a bit of an allergy to it. I've also noticed i'm become a bit more sensitive to coffee and when my parents changed to Carte Noir coffee (which is now called something else), i had a runny toilet time for a short while, so it's possible to start becoming allergic or more sesitive.

Have you had your gallbladder scanned?