JUST found the below info on another page, thought it might help....

The problem you are suffering from when combining certain seafoods and acohol is a toxic histamine reaction. Some people that have a shortage of, or an insufficient activity of the enzymes needed to deal with histamine in their bodies, can react badly, even violently to a meal of histamine-rich foods. These foods include certain seafoods (most usually shellfish), certain fungi / mushrooms, MSG, etc., etc. Worse yet, is the fact that this reaction can also occur with foods, food products, and /or spirts which promote an increase of histamine within the body. There are a number of these foods which can act to trigger a reaction and these trigger foods vary from person to person. The most common trigger appears to be alcohol. The “why” to all this is the fact that histamine is a critical matabolite and neurotransmitter which activates to defend against foreign cell matter in our bodies. The trigger foods cause the body to release potentially dangerous and even dangerous amounts of histamine. Also, alcohol and acetaldehyde dehydrogenase are important to dealing with the amounts of histamines in our bodies. So alcohol, especially in people that lack the enzyme acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, causes these people to be particularly susceptable to a reaction since drinking alcoholic spirits stimulates the prodution of histamine in the body.Charlie D. / Computerguy

February 10, 2013 at 3:52 PM- See more at: http://www.momanthology.com/2011/10/death-by-alcohol-and-seafood.html#sthash.NPV9cR97.dpuf

I as well have no luck when combining shellfish and alcohol at the same time. Within 6-8 hours I show signs of food poisoning but I can consume either item separate from the other and have no reaction. I get sick and vomet, and have an intense migrane untill the food is gone. Hope this helps let you know you aren't alone, I felt better after reading your post.

Gordon

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

I have blacked out on two separate occasions after consumption of seafood with a very very small amount of alcohol, not even the equivalent of 1/4 of a beer. In the first occasion, I suspected it was just food poisoning. However, after the same exact symptoms occurred the second time, it was confirmed that is what it was. Today, I just had wine sauce with oyster and alligator... now... I started to feel weird but fortunately it was a tiny amount of alcohol used in the sauce.

I had the same reactions when consuming seafood and alcohol. I figured out it was the combo not just food poisoning on the 4th time round of vomiting, spun out, dizzy, sick. At the time I had to take a antihistamine to stop the vomiting and reaction. However, taking an antihistamine with alcohol is very dangerous as well. You pass out which is better than vomiting for hours and not sleeping but could cause other complications Now I never mix the two.

Thank You for showing me that I am not alone. I thought I was going nuts as there does not seem to be any scientific evidence available to support alcohol/seafood interactions. Whenever I combine the two I get very sick within 1 - 2 hours. The seafood seems to radically intensify the effects of the alcohol. 2-3 drinks feels more like 10. I vomit all night and feel sick for 24 hours with a major headache and fatigue. No more combining seafood and acohol for me.

I also have experienced the same, to the point of waking up in my bathtub with vomit all over my favorite dress. I found out later that seafood such as shrimp and other shellfish mixed with hard liquors will create a poison in your body, causing adverse reactions. I found that it only happens when eating shellfish type seafoods. Eating other types of fish doesn't seem to have the same reaction, nor does eating fish and waiting four or more hours before drinking. Then again, I have to point out that I drank everything from cheap whiskey to vodka and tequila, only one hour after eating a huge plate of fried shrimp, flounder and hushpuppies. So you could say I was really asking for it!

My experience has been similar, but only in one particular, excellent restaurant when I eat shellfish and drink white wine. This happens at my favorite restaurant and has happened 2 or 3 times. I cannot go back, because I am so afraid of getting sick. I have never experience such persistent and intense nausea in my life !

I just don't understand why it only happens at this restaurant.

This has happened to me twice. The first time I thought it was food poisoning. I was vomiting the entire night, I couldn't even sleep because I would vomit on myself. It was horrible!! I had mixed shrimp and only one margarita. The second time I was on vacations and I had lobster for dinner and 1 hour later I had a mojito and the reaction came immediately. I don't get headaches, but the second time I did have diarrhea. And it really suck to have diarrhea and vomit at the same time!! The weird thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, for example this weekend I had shrimp and a couple of drinks and nothing happened. ??? In my case, both times people around me try to give me medicine, but I would vomit it each time. So now I know that nothing works for me. Has any type of medicine worked for anyone??? Oh God only we know how we feel when that happens!!!

Within the hour of ingesting shrimp and a margarita, I became extremely nauseated and passed out in the restaurant! Lucky for me, I had two nurses with me. Nausea, along with diarrhea, had happened twice before, but I had never fainted. I continued to have a bad headache, dizziness and weakness for hours. Finally, we put two and two together on what actually caused this scary happening. The public needs to be more aware of the adverse reaction of shellfish in combination with alcohol.

Rhonda

I am so glad I found this post. The same thing happened to me..... twice. The first time was at the beach. I ate a piece of Tilapia and some crab legs and calamari and had 1 or 2 beers with it. About an hour later I started vomiting. It lasted several hours. Pepto bismol did not help. It was so scary.
Lastnight I ate steak and crab legs and had a total of 4 beers over the course of 4 hours and it happened again! I threw up 11 times in 4 1/2 hours....

Now that I know this, I won't order seafood if I have been drinking and I won't drink if I eat seafood. I wonder if there is any medicine that can be taken prior to prevent.

I am a Registered Dietitian and have NEVER heard this before. I am wondering if I should go to the doctor or if it would be a waste of money.

i am glad i found this link - i ate a 5 lb spider crab w/ my girfriend while on vacation last weekend. we went out after and i had several cocktails. the next day, i woke up and drove home - half way in to the drive home, i started getting sharp stomach pains - got home threw up and diarreha for 5 hours. so bad. i will never do this again. so bad.

I am so glad I found this thread - I too can eat seafood and I can drink but if I drink AND eat shellfish I have a horrible reaction.

I do not normally drink unless it is a celebration type event. I thought I was allergic to crab and lobster but every time I have had crab and lobster, it has been with a fancy dinner type event with drinks.

I can eat shrimp without a problem and I have had sushi with crab so I am going to try eating lobster again - just not with alcohol.

Seafood and Alcohol Combination Making My Wife Very Sick
My wife is sick this morning after another adverse reaction to seafood and wine. She threw up last night and woke this morning very ill. She has had this happen before, gone to the doctor after realizing that the combination of the two were making her sick (thanks to this post) she was tested for all sorts of allergies and they found nothing. Last night it was salmon, typically it usually is caused by a crab mixed with drinks which is why she didn’t hesitate to order Salmon and some wine. I guess we know now that that particular combination triggers this as well. The sickness is severe, similar to really bad food poisoning, takes about 24 hours for her to feel right again. I really wish there was a Dr that had experience with this, seems like there is something that would stop the onset of the reaction. Keep posting your experiences so we can all learn from them. I think after this episode ALL types of seafood are off the table when drinking is involved.

To add some more info, prior to my wifes severe reactions from this combination she had several occassions where she would be at our local crabhouse drinking and not eating shellfish or any type of seafood, she would become dizzy, have nausea and feel "weird" That happenned three times and the next few occassion that she mixed the two the more severe reaction happenned, same initial symptons but they progressed in to diarrea and vomiting.

what happens to me is that whenever i drink alcohol and eat seafood (such as lobster) i start getting red spot all over my body.. any cases like this? what do to??

I have also had severe reactions when drinking wine while consuming food with either mussels or lobster (such as paella or lobster bisque). With just one or two glasses of wine spread over several hours, within four hours I feel extremely drunk with the spins, vomiting, etc. However, I am also half Japanese, so I may be prone to the Asian alcohol intolerance. I know that my mom is alcohol intolerant so I may be also. That would make sense. If I am not able to digest the alcohol, it leaves toxins in the liver. Shellfish has a high amount of cholesterol that also needs to be processed through the liver. So, I am thinking it is a combination of alcohol intolerance and stress on the liver causing a high level of toxins in the body. I also wonder why the medical community has not recognized the combined effect of alcohol and shellfish.