I am 25 and am having a hard time tolerating alcohol. I used to drink quite a bit as a teenager then once I had kids I scaled back. I really haven't had much alcohol over the past 7 years and just over the last 3 months I started to get my social life back. I'm not one to want to get drunk every time I go out, however I do wish to have the casual few to be sociable. However, on each of the occassions I have attempted my social outings involving alcohol, it only took 3 drinks for me to start to feel sick - like I need to vomit. I begin to get gas buildup in my chest and since I cannot burp (forcibly or not) the bubbles just sit on my chest and make me feel sicker and sicker. On 2 of the occasions I was drinking vodka, however on the 3rd occasion I was drinking kahlua and milk - not something that would give me wind. Can someone explain if I may have now developed an intolerance/allergy or if there could be an underlying medical problem. I have had a tenderness in my abdomen for the past 2 months (yet to go and see my GP about it). It is next to my belly button on the right and so I wonder if this is a medical problem that is making me reject alcohol. I am happy not to drink but was just wondering if this is something that I should see further advice from my GP ?

(hope all this has made sense to you all)

kb5582

My husband is also suffering from something like what you are experiencing. He gets the bubble in the chest, as he describes it, after drinking alcohol. From what I have noticed it doesn't always happen every time he drinks, but he does experience it after drinking beer, wine, or liquor. We used to think it was just draft beer but it definitely can appear with any alcohol. He hasn't experinced any abdominal pain either. If you find out what is causing this I'd be very interested. I also assumed it was an allergy.

My husband also has this problem. he describes it as a bubble in his chest and chest pain after any alcohol intake. He wants to burp but can't. We used to think it was just draft beer but now know any form of alcohol can cause it. If you find anything out about what causes this I would be very interested. I also had a hunch it was an allergy but am not sure and know that my husband would never go to a doctor just to ask.

I am a 19 year old girl and i get the exact same feeling. I can only have 1-2 drinks and i'll immediately get it! If i have 2 drinks before it comes i'm having a good night!
I'm not a heavy drinker at all, i like to drink socially.
Whenever i feel this pain, i cannot drink anymore, i normally just sit out and drink water... it seems to help, but not for long once you finish drinking the water.

Being young its hard not to drink, so i try to dilute my vodka in orange juice and more base type drinks, it help a little but not alot, because at the end of the night the feeling is always there!

Any help would be great!!!

I know exactly the feeling! It started to happen to me a few months ago and it's still a mystery to me - mostly because there are certain types of alcohol I can drink with no problem. I can drink Stella Artois and most Mexican beers, along with most types of liquor. But any other kind of beer is risky, and I can't drink any wine or Champagne, or I get "the bubble." It feels like there's gas stuck in my chest and it hurts a bit. Drinking water helps a lot, and I can make myself burp some of it away, but I definitely can't drink anymore of the offending alcohol when it happens. I have a gastrointestinal illness (Crohns disease) so this may be partially behind it, but I would love to know why certain drinks are OK and others aren't.

To the original poster: you need to see a doctor pronto! The pain from the right of your belly button is a bad sign. It could mean a number of different things. If you are having gallbladder or pancreas problems then you will have those symptoms. Gastritis and stomach ulcers also share those symptoms as well. Go to your doctor ASAP and he or she will have you do an ultrasound on your stomach to check your gallbladder, pancreas, and liver.

Very interesting post and would like to know if anyone eles out there has same symptoms and also how everyone else has got on. I have the above symptoms. I liked a drink at the weekend but now for the past 3 months i have been unable 2 drink beer or vodka but have managed to drink morgan spice? After 2 to 3 pints of lager i start 2 feel gas in my stomach and feel sick then eventualy be sick and its just foam like/bubbles! I have so far gave a sample and bloods 2 doctors and also been for a scan and nothing has been found. I am now waiting to go for the camera down my throat! I have slight pain on my right hand side dont kbow if this is related.

Has anyone considered Candida yeast overgrowth? Alcohol is a feast for the yeast and as they feed they give off more alcohol and gasses. Maybe the bubble is the gas they give off? Just a thought.

I am being treated for Non-ulcer (Functional) Dyspepsia. Not sure if this is my cause yet.

I have exactly the same problem! I can drink beer all night. If I have one vodka or cider (sometimes can have 2) I get this build up of pain in my chest like I need to burp. I drink lots of water and eventually can burp. It makes me extremely uncomfortable when it comes on. I enjoy vodka however know I can't drink it. Is there any way to stop this feeling if I do drink vodka? Alicia

Ok i get this exact same problem when drinking alcohol!! Any type of alcohol!! It is very uncomfortable and can ruin nights out for me, that is until i get rid of the gas, and to do this i have to wind myself, constantly rub my chest until a big belch comes out, that many people can hear. I belch a lot anyway and am always gassy. I have the exact same feeling as many of you have, the bubble feeling and it making me feel sick until it has been released. Still non the wiser to what this is and feel the doctor looks at me like I'm mad when i explain the symptoms and what i have to do ha... Have had bloods taken and checked for gluten allergy which all came back fine. If anyone has been diagnosed with anything would appreciate some feedback, thanks.

I love beer and ales, and can usually drink them with no problem. However, with some types of beer I can experience the "bubble" in my chest that others on this forum have mentioned. I liken the sensation to a very painful tightening of my esophagus which comes and goes. This almost always happens with Belgian or farmhouse style ales, so I don't know if it is from particular strains of yeast or from some other element of these ales. I have also experienced this pain with acidic white wines, notably sauvignon blancs. The solution for me, of course, is not to drink these styles of ale or wine, but as I am interested in trying a variety of beers and ales, sooner or later I run into an ale that give me this painful sensation. At worst, it is a painful inconvenience, nothing more. Yet I would still like to know what is really happening in my body and what is causing it.

I'm 23 and just started having the same issue. I drank a lot when I turned 20 till I was about 22 but slimmed back ALOT n drink 1 or 2 beers mostly when I'm out with friends. I get a seriously sharp gassy pain in my chest and forcing myself to burp does nothing. 1 beer causes it to a point where I'm short of breath and in serious pain. I found taking two anti acids/ gas release pills helps but after they where off I'm back to the same old pain. I'm leading toward allergy but I'm not sure