Couldn't find what you looking for?

TRY OUR SEARCH!

I have developed an allergy to alcohol for the past 2 years now. i only ever took a couple of drinks ie mainly cider on any given night out but developed a severe painful rash on my eyelids which swole up and left me with blurred vision. Very painful and ugly to say the least. when i get it i can not bear the pain and am unable to sleep due to the pain. The eyelids become itchy but it is painful to scratch. A specialist told me i had etopic ezema but i have discovered i only get these symptoms when alcohol has been consumed even a small sip. I have given up alcohol but still use it in small quantities in cooking. Would love if i could use an alternative in my cooking to alchohol. Would love to know if any one else suffers the same symptoms or is there a cure?
Maureen :'(

Loading...

I once experienced what I thought was a wie related allergy. It turned out the sulphites in the wine were causing the reaction.

BEER OR ALE: Chicken broth, white grape juice, or ginger ale
BRANDY: Apple cider, peach or apricot syrup
CHAMPAGNE: Ginger ale
CLARET: Grape juice, or cherry cider syrup
COGNAC: Juice from peaches, apricots or pears
COINTREAU: Orange juice
CREME DE MENTHE: Spearmint extract or oil of spearmint diluted with water or grapefruit juice
RED BURGUNDY: Grape juice
RED WINE: (unsweetened) water, beef broth, tomato juice, diluted cider vinegar, or red wine vinegar
RUM: Pineapple juice or syrup flavoured with almond extract
SHERRY: Orange or pineapple juice
WHITE BURGUNDY: White grape juice
WHITE WINE: (unsweetened) water, chicken broth, ginger ale, white grape juice, diluted cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
Reply

Loading...

Yes i too have experienced similar allergic symptoms. Earlier i used to occasionally drink Beer but one fine day I had severe etching in my eyes and palm and foot. from that day I have stopped taking any alchohol. Few people say it has something to do with reduced functional ability of lever God knows. Nevertheless it turned out to be good for me.
Reply

Loading...

this is just weird and very funny for me and you guys, but you can just laugh at it, whatever.

BUt my case, when i drink an alcoholic drink, my 'behind' gets reddish and pains a lot when i touch it, or when i drink a very strong beer, sometimes, it goes itchy too, (its very very weird and funny, only that area gets red and itchy! damn, it's hard to sit fast when having those)
Reply

Loading...

I too have the very same allergy. It started about 7 years ago. I very rarely drank, usually only with food, and have never been drunk but now every time I ingest alcohol, my eyes get itchy, as well as the back of my heels. I get congested too. This happens with any alcohol for drinking. Everything from beer to wine to Nyquil(tm). Once I was making spaghetti sauce poured a cup of wine in the pan and got a reaction when I leaned over the pot too early.

I have been able to get by with boling my alcoholic beverages before adding them to hot foods. There are some "alcohol soluble flavors" in some foods like tomatoes. In that case, I add the tomato sauce to the wine or whatever, then boil the mixture. This works for me.

Just remember, alcohol boils at 170F (79C) and water boils at 212F(100C). Igniting the vapor I found is a good way to check if the alcohol is all (mostly) gone. I have not tried this with foods that call for alcohol to be added at the end. It might change the flavor of the liquid too much to be of any use. Just remember, be careful of open flame.
Reply

Loading...

I know exactly how you all feel. I am allergic to all alcohol and now drink only Hardys no preservative wines. The sulphates and nitrates in most preservatives in the 200 range can cause so many immune problems. If I have any processed meats with 250 in them I get anaphalaxis and end up in hospital.I carry an epi pen for emergencies.
I have talked to a specialist before who just said to stop eating those suspect foods but those poisons are in a hell of a lot of food. I am seeing someone today who tries to work on the allergy and come up with an answer. My whole body swells if I ingest any of the above preservatives.
Reply

Loading...