Hmmm, I thought I posted this in the following thread https://www.steadyhealth.com/Pain_Under_JAW_BONE_throat_t54375.html but I can't see my post. So I thought I would would put this in a new thread.

I've noticed over the last year or two, that when I drink small amounts of vodka or brandy (50 ml) I get terrible cramps under my jaw bone, just directly under my ears. At first I thought it was my wisdom teeth, but they have been removed about 4 months ago and I'm still getting the same pain.

Vodka is the worst culprit and the pain is so severe that I can't even open my mouth (my jaw locks and everytime I go to open my mouth pain will pass up to my ears). The pain does subside about 15 minutes after a drink, but I'm wondering what this can be? Is it an allergy, or a sinus problem? Even now (without drinking) if I poke my finger in that area, directly under my ear I can feel a similar pain, but it's no where as severe. I'm baffled, can anyone shed some light?

I do suffer from blocked sinus/ear. It only really effects me when I fly overseas. I also have had for a long time this problem where when I swallow my ear crackles. This started when I went on airaplane for the first time, my ear drumbs never quite recovered. It doesn't hurt and I'm use to the sound. So maybe that also has something to do with it?

Hey

I have exactly the same problem. I know it occurs when i drink (alcohol) and eat food which is chewy

I just had a drink and had steak - my jaw, just below my ears hurts like hell. It's pretty common for me. Only with alcohol, worst with chewy food. We're not the only ones (i've searched the net) but i haven't found any answers

if someone knows hook us up

I suffer from something similar too. I notice it most when i drink wine or spirits. I'd really like to know why this is happening, but would feel silly going to the doctor with this complaint. If anyone can help please reply.

I have the same problem. After drinking any alcohol I get severe cramps in my jaw. Similar to the cramps you get when blowing up balloons. It started a few years ago and happened only after drinking wines. Now, it doesnt matter what alcohol or how much. The pain is there and I can hardly open my mouth until it passes. That could be anywhere from a half hour to hours. My biggest fustration is that I cant find anyone to tell me what is in the alcohol that is causing it. There isnt anything online to help.

I have the same problem every once and while. usually sets in after my first beer then goes away in about 10 mins. I was taking a health and nutrition class in college about a year ago and when i was studying vitamins and symptoms of a specific vitamin deficenceys i came across one that stated our little jaw pain as a symptom of alack of a certain vitamin. i cant remember which vitamin it was but taking a multivitamin in the mornin seems to have gotten rid of the pain for me. i will dig up my old text book and try figure out wich one it is.hope this helps you out a little bit

The only thing I have come up with is it listed amoung Chronic Fatigue, and Fibromyalgia. I have FM, and have the same thing going on. Not sure if you have any of these illness's. But that's all I have been able to figure out?

I've had the same symptoms for the past 30 years. I cannot drink wine of any kind and haven't for 30 years. I've always assumed it's a sulfite allergy but it doesn't bother me when I eat other foods that contain sulfites. Last week I openend a new bottle of apricot jam (something I've eaten all my life) and had the same reaction. I have mentioned it to doctor's and their response was always, so don't drink wine. But I still would like to know what it is. And I'd like a glass of wine!

I am experiencing this as I type. I just finished eating about 35 minutes ago and my jaw is hurting like everyone else's.

No one has any answers on why?

I have experienced this pain as well. I first noticed it after a beer before a meal. I tell everyone around me including my dentist but all they can tell me is drink through a straw. What they dont seem to understand is that its not the cold or hot that gives me this certain pain in my jaw.....its the alcohol!! I have only been dealing with this for about a month but it really sucks. I'm no alcoholic but a cold brew once in a while would be nice. We need to form a group of some sort and get this figured out. In this day and age of mondern medicine, how is it possible to have no information on this condition.

add me to the list. sometimes when i drink alcohol, the corners of my jaw (below my ears) hurt. it only happens when i've had a drink. (and it doesn't happen every time i drink. i can't figure out why sometimes i can drink without jaw pain but other times the pain is there.)
i've looked online all over the place for a diagnosis, but this thread is the only thing i've ever found on the topic. someone help!

My wife is a doctor (sadly an OB/GYN) ... and she doesn't believe me when I tell her this as well.

I wish someone would find an answer

wow. I am surprised on the amount of people having this problem. I too deal with this when I drink alcohol. It seems to come and go. I especially experience these problems if I haven't eaten too much. The pain is almost unbearable. It is like having needles poking into the back of my jaw bone. I can definately relate to everyone else's comments. One of my theories was drinking out of a can somehow affected my fillings. I ruled this out after drinking soda through a can without having problems.

I have just had a glass of wine and thought I should check online why my jaw hurts so so so much when I do drink.. I have never even dreamed that there were so many people with the same problem %-) ... And noone believes me it hurts that much, either XD

My own wife says the my pain is "B.S." Says that I'm making a big deal out of nothing. I am so glad I found these posts. It proves that I'm not crazy. After hearing from everyone including my dentist that It is all in my head. Has anyone figured a way to drink alcohol without pain? Usually after one beer I can't drink anymore because the pain is unbearable. Friends tell me to "drink through it". LOL Has anyone tried to do this?? Keep drinking till the pain is dulled??

Add me to the list also. And, I can add another piece to the puzzle (although I don't know where it fits):

Two times over the last 4 years the same pain appeared in what I believe is my liver. The pain WAS MUCH MUCH WORSE HERE THAN IT WAS IN MY JAW (and THAT is bad enough !!) I honestly thought that I was going to die right there, in the bar, waiting for a table at the restaurant. It is a paralyzing pain.

I've always been a very light drinker (because of the jaw pain and now this) and I have no known diseases. It never seems to happen if I have my first drink AFTER eating a meal. If I'm hungry, it is sure to happen.

For me, it happens with all types of alcohol although Red Wine does seem to be particularly bad for it.