I am allergic to the following antibiotics: leviquen,penicillin, macrobid, marx,sulfa drugs. The last reaction I had was to macrobid and it was horrible and frightening. I was sent home with an epipen. So what antibiotic is safe for me to use? My allergist wasn't much help.

Your allergist wasn't much help simply because he/she cannot give you a straight answer. The skin prick test, the intradermal injection test and the immunoassay will tell you what antibiotics you are immediately allergic to. Since allergy can develop over time following continuous exposure to an allergen, it is always a good idea to carry a supply of epipen with you just in case an anaphylaxis should develop unexpectedly. It has been documented, for example, that some surgeons had developed an allergic reaction to latex, following decades of latex glove use without any problem.

I agree. It sounds to me like your allergy is perhaps progressive, so I think that your allergy to antibiotics may end up getting worse so I think that the epipen is a good idea. I know that there are still more antibiotics that you can still take although some of the names are not coming to mind right now. Does anyone else know? YOu may want to mention this to a doctor so that you are not prescribed something that could harm you. Keep us posted.