Hello, good people. I have been recently diagnosed with potato allergy. I know that I should avoid it, but I am not sure about sweet potatoes. Can I eat this? I hope I can. I would really appreciate your answer considering my post. I hope answering won’t bother you much. Thank you in advance.

Hi, there. You have asked a very interesting question. I know that sweet potato is recommended as a first choice for babies’ first food. However, it also contains proteins and other substances that can be possible allergens. I am not sure if you are allergic to potatoes whether you will be automatically allergic to sweet potatoes. You can go to a doctor’s. There you can do some tests and see what you are allergic to. I hope everything will be all right. Good luck with all! Bye!

I have the same problem. I was recently diagnosed with a potato allergy, among a ton of other foods, and I asked the doctor if I could eat sweet potato. She said that the only way to find out was to try it and see, since that was not on the allergy test I took. So, I believe that I will just eliminate potatoes all together. I have found another substitution for mashed potatoes, which is cauliflower. I have not tried it yet, but I bet it is good. That is the only suggestion that I have. Either try it and have your epi pen on hand, or avoid them all together.
Hope this helps, I know it has helped me knowing that there are many other people out there with similar allergies. I know now that I am not the only one.

i've always been allergic to potatoes. deathly. i was tested, and rated on a scale of 1-5 my allergy to potatoes is a 5. i can eat sweet potatoes. so i'd imagine you can, but everyone is different. i don't drink vodka, because its made of potatoes, but im not sure if the alcohol would kill the allergen in it, you never know. just be careful.

I have been allergic to potatoes since I was five and now at 50 I enjoy eating sweet potatoes often. As sweet potatoes aren’t really potatoes, they are quite safe. And I absolutely love the new sweet potatoes chips, but read the package carefully to make sure they didn’t add regular potatoes.

FYI- most vodka nowadays is made with grain. Potato vodka is more expensive and generally brags about using potatoes on the label. I too have potato allergy and love my grain-based vodka.

I am struggling with a fruit intolerance as well as potato/grain combo....It is so hard to avoid these things together...anyone have helpful hints? I can have the grains, but not in breads, as they have yeast, which contains potato! grrr thanks

sweet potato's are not in the potato family. things like tomato, eggplant , and peppers are though. i have always have severe anaphylactic shock to potato's and hives from tomatos and eggplants and i do fine with sweet potato's. i just dont like them because of the name. try it and be ready for any reaction

It depends. They are genetically similar so there is a good chance. Ask to get checked.

My daughter's allergy test revealed a severe potato allergy, but no reaction to sweet potato.  They are somehow different.

I did not become allergic to potatoes until I was 36 (horrible I miss them so) but I can eat sweet potatoes with no problem which I've never really been fond of, My doctor said its due to a protein that white potatoes that causes the allergy and you will not find it n sweet potatoes, so sweet potatoes are safe

i was just diagnosed with potato allergy myself, in fact this morning & my immunologist told me I can eat sweet potatoes

Lucky for you, Sweet Potatoes are NOT actually a potato. They are not in the nightshade family, and therefore (though you should tread carefully) you shouldn't have any allergy to sweet potatoes. keep in mind that no matter what, in the average american grocery store, anything labeled YAM is actually a sweet potato. You'll only find true yams in ethnic markets and asian groceries. The only thing to keep in mind is the sugar content (much higher than standard white potatoes). 

I'm glad i found this web site.  I just found out that, I am allergic to potatoes also. Even though I ate them all my life. I also found out that, sweet potatoes are not a potato at all different plant group. Thanks to the many post on this subject, I'm now going to try them. 

I am 39 and allergic to potatoes since I was a baby, I eat sweet potatoes but I want to know if anyone with potatoe allergy tried eating red peel potatoes? I just heard of someone that can only tolerate red peel potatoes. I am scared to try because I am deadly allergic to regular potatoes.