just caught my 12 year old son secretly exercising in his room. he says he wants to lost his man boobs his words. he is a bit overweight what should he do to get rid of them????

Weight lifting and muscular excersises like sit-ups will end up leaving him with lovely muscels hiden under a layer of fat. Cardio is the best way to lose excess fat. So cycling, swimming or regular jogs around the block. He should start by walking then picking up the pace to a brisk then power walk and eventually jogging. Remember to make sure he hydrates before excersizing.

thanks for that advice going to be hard for him as he is not the most agile kid.

Hi Illy,

It’s been almost 2 years since you posted your question here but I just want to let your know that you don’t have to worry about your son having man boobs at his age now (I presume he is 14 years old by this time) since it is quite common for males to develop prominent breasts during puberty – medically called as Gynecomastia in Puberty - as increasing hormone levels cause one or both breasts to develop unevenly. Even though as many as 90% of adolescent males experience this, the problem usually settles down with maturity.

If your son is really bothered having male breasts and it’s already affecting his confidence, you can encourage him to do essential cardiovascular exercises combined with a good diet that reduces body weight for this will help lessen the appearance of man boobs by reducing the fatty content of the breast tissue.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** 

Hope this will be helpful to you and your sin :)

Hello there,

It has been some time since you have posted and discussed on this theme but I would just like to say that as a young boy I was overweight and I had not just larger breasts than almost all the girls in my classroom. I have started with swimming and until my 14th birthday I had lost all excessive fat. Since then I have been working out my whole life and I am very satisfied the way I look.

Exercising is good for more than one reason. It also gives you self-confidence so you can overcome some obstacles easier than people who are not exercising. I hope that your son is by now lost excessive weight and that he will continue with exercising.

I also have a 12 yr old with what he calls "man boobs".  He is active.  He is a year-round swimmer and club soccer & rec basketball player.  In addition he plays golf with his dad and plays sports with kids on the playground.  He is getting excercise every day.  He is so self conscious now, especially when his team has to change color jerseys before a game, or he wears his shirt until he steps on the blocks in a swim race.  This is a boy who has always been very confident and very good at all sports he has played.  I never agree with him when he says he has man boobs, because I don't want to add to the stress.   What can I tell him?  Push ups?  Weights?  He's only twelve.  Can you do bench presses at 12?  He has been swimming since age 5, about 3 times a week now that he's age 12.  His best stroke is butterfly and he is in the top ten in the county.  My guess is that his man boobs are hereditary (from Dad!).  As an adult, he is going to have to keep active!   There is no time to add any more excercise for my son.  He gets plenty of activity - we are a very busy family getting to and from activities and keeping up with homework etc.

Celebrity
Hey Pepperming Patty.
They are hereditary. And maybe he has some issues with hormone - too mush estrogen. In that case  - he should run some hormonal tests.
Exercise is a great part of reducing fat, but I know several men who are normal weight and still have "man boobs" ... it is due to hormonal imbalance.

He should avoid food high in estrogen - soy, even chicken...

Regarding exercise - pushups are great for chest muscles, chest press versions are great, but fat won't turn into muscle - this is not the way things happen. Swimming is also good for upper body, but he already does that. If he is muscular in other parts and has fat tissue on breasts only, I think you two should go to the doctor and see if there is any alternative possible.

Maybe he could start with those exercises, but if he won't  see any progress in 2-3 months, well... I am not sure...

If he is seeing this as a problem, I think it is better not to ignore this infront of him, saying he doesn't have a problem. Maybe you could ask him if he wants to go to a doctor for a hormonal checkup. Or maybe you alone could talk to his doctor. Please, let me know what you think... 

I know this could be problematic for a boy of his age and I think it is better to help him ...

I did the same thing, im thirteen and still got some left. All I did was curld and pushups (150 daily). Running is best way to go

Sup you I'm Zachery ww

Sup my name is Zachery what's yours yo

its normal will grow when you reach 15 or 16! 

thank you
My son has man boots and he is finding the way to lose them.

I know it's been a while but yes at 12 your child can start bench press but you might have to watch them to make sure they have a watch. Of course by now they are probably 13. But that's not real fat. It might be gone by now but if it isn't it's either baby fat or it's the fat on their chest teenagers develop.

I used to swim but stopped I play Basketball now but my moobs seem to be getting bigger. I’ve been playing Basketball at a country club for 3 - 4 hrs and I’m losing weight but they’re not going away. I do chest workouts and try to lose the fat but they are just getting bigger

Maybe it’s a tumor