I would like to know more about the drug called Ambien. I found it in my mother’s room and I don’t know what this medicine is for. Can you tell me that? Is this drug proscribed for something serious?

Ambien is the popular brand name of zolpidem tartrate. It is a short-term prescription medication to aid people who have difficulty with sleep. Longer-term use must be monitored closely by a doctor. Ambien belongs to a class of drugs called sedative, hypnotics or sleep medications and it is available as a tablet for oral administration. Ambien affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause insomnia, it induces sleep and causes relaxation. Like any other drug, this one can also cause some side effects. Less common ones are nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, constipation etc. More serious side effects include an allergic reaction that causes swelling of face, lips, tongue, hallucinations, abnormal behavior, or severe confusion. It is important to immediately seek professional help if these side effects occur.