I was pregnant until 5 days ago. At least I thought that I was pregnant. The doctor told me that I had "blighted ovum." What causes this and how common is it? What are the chances of it happening again?

Blighted ovum is also called an embryonic pregnancy or preclinical abortion. It is a pregnancy in which the placenta develops but no fetus is visible on ultrasound. Blighted ovum is thought to be due to a chromosomal abnormality. Over 60 % of all first-trimester pregnancy losses are due to chromosomal abnormalities unique to that pregnancy. These are one-time events that do not raise the risk of similar future problems and usually the chromosomal abnormality lies in the individual egg. Sperm chromosomal anomalies are infrequent. Symptoms and signs of this condition are a missed or late menstrual period, minor abdominal cramping, minor vaginal spotting or bleeding. A positive pregnancy test at the time of symptoms. The main risk of this condition is mental distress caused by discovery that the woman is or was pregnant. Repeated early egg deaths indicate a genetic or physical disorder in the parents. In most cases, nothing can be done to prevent this condition.