Can someone explain to me the difference between identical and fraternal twins? I am confused with this. I thought it was the same thing. Is it possible to have fraternal twins of the same sex?

Believe me, you are not the only one who is confused with this. I you’re your question and I will gladly give you an answer. Fraternal twins are the result when two different eggs are fertilized by two different sperm which leads to the development of two separate placentas. Each of these two placentas has its own chorion and amnion. Fraternal twins are more common than identical twins. They are account for about 2/3 of twin pregnancies. Unlike fraternal twins, identical twins develop when a fertilized egg splits. Depending on when the split occurs will determine if the twins share a placenta, with one or two chorions and amnions. It will also determine if they each develop their own placentas. The later the spit occurs, the more likely that the twins will share one placenta. It is sometimes very difficult to know whether twins are identical or fraternal, even after they are born. It can be easier if they share one placenta, have different blood types and are different sexes.