Hi, I went to doctor because of cough, he announced me my condition was serious and sent me to infectious disease specialist. What can I expect?

When you see a doctor, he prescribes you antibiotics to treat an bacterial infection. Usually, his choice is made on experience based knowledge (the antibiotic being indicated in specific condition). Your doctor wants to be sure to which antibiotic bacteria is susceptible, in order to avoid treatment with useless antibiotic. Bacteria develop resistance very easily; this process is irreversible and very fast. there is a test called antibiogram, which can show the most powerful antibiotic for a persons infection. Antibiogram has to be performed individually, because very person has different immune system, has dealt with different pathogens and medications (which could contributed bacterial resistance).