Hi, my son has tonsil infection, the type Mercer disease. He got antibiogram done to determine which antibiotic would be most appropriate for him. I haven’t heard before of that disease. Can anybody tell me more about this condition?

Hi, I suppose that you mean MRSA (meticilin resistant Staphylococcus aureus), perhaps you heard doctor saying something like Mercer. It is bacteria which has developed resistancy toward an penicillin antibiotic, meticillin. Usually, it is found on skin, but when skin gets ruptured by scrach or other injury bacteria get their chance to invade in the body. Then they become pathogenic. It can even cause pneumonia. Individuals can become carriers of MRSA by physical contact with the organism, and in the same way they can spread it to others. Although, MRSA is no longer sensitive to meticillin, there are many other antibiotics which are still efficient in treatment, but this needs to be checked by an antibiogram.

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT MERCER IS ?

I have recently had to educated myself on this disease. Here's some links that you might find helpful.

mayoclinic.com/health/mrsa/DS00735/DSECTION=risk%2Dfactors

drugtalk.com/penicillin/drugthread.php/t-176425.html

My male BFF was told recently he has Mercer disease. I'm educating myself and him.
We are learning together.