Hello! I have been suffering from arthritis for 22 years now. All the medications and treatments were unsatisfactory, and I was advices to have a surgery. The problem is now that I have to choose between a joint replacement and a joint fusion, but I don¡¦t have any insight into these procedures. Is there anybody who experienced any of these procedures?

Hello! You just got lucky! I experienced both! ļ When thinking about it ,a replacement would be much better because in that way you will be able to keep the motion. But, according to the statistics 95 % of total ankle replacement fails in the next 5 years, that is why I would go for the fusion. Fusion does alleviate all the pain but most of the motion is gone. The joint is placed in a fixed position. If the ankle is fused in the optimal position, some compensatory increase in motion can be expected at the mid tarsal joints. Rocker bottom shoes are usually recommended to compensate for loss of motion.