A year ago I had the sling surgery for bladder incontinence. Since then I have had recurrent bladder infections every couple of weeks and now they are beginning to recur even sooner. I was seeing my urogynecologist from the time I had my surgery until about a month ago he was stumped so sent me to an infectious diseases gynecologist who has located a different bacteria or two each time I go in for another infection. I've taken several antiobiotics and take them each for a whole week without stopping until they are gone. I just saw my doctor yesterday to follow up with an infection I had a week ago. He told me this time he found Group B Strep and E-Coli . . . blah blah blah . . . this morning I work up with another infection. I cannot live like this. I am at my wit's end. Help!

%-) Hi Sandy, I need to talk to you!!! You sound like my sis only her infections were in her lungs. She came to me in the spring and she told me she needed help as her antibiotics were not helping and she was getting worse. She had just come in with her 3rd bilateral pnemonia & bronchitis in the last 6 mths. We have just started to use homeopathics and this company has its ducks in a row!!! We tried the chronic viro formula and also I got her the lung/ bronchial formula. Within a wk she was feeling so much better. She continued using the antibiotic of course but since then she has been feeling so very good. She still takes the formulas once a day and then she has an acute viro reliever if she feels an infection coming on. She hasn't felt so good in yrs. I am pleased!!! so is she to say the least. If you are interested here is what it says about this product:
Indications for use: For multi-symptomatic relief of chronic low grade viral inflammations including low grade fevers, aches, chills, fatigue, headaches and swollen glands.
There is one other formula that my hubby takes, he is a diabetic preserving his kidneys. It might be a good thing to do some help for your kidneys as well. This is an awesome formula and really promotes health in the kidneys, also with your repeated infections they might just enjoy some help!!!!!
Indications for use: To assist the blood and kidneys with the normal processes of detoxification and drainage.
By detox we don't mean bathrm all the time. As you know the kidneys are one of the bodies waste organs. This formula helps to clean the kidneys so they can work to potential.
I hope that this makes sense. I pray you see this as I cannot get ahold of you other than thru this. PLEASE contact me if you wish more info. In the meantime do take care Thinking of you Peggy ;-)

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **

I would definitely advise that you go back to the urologist, because it sounds like this is severely affecting your quality of life. Recurrent UTIs must be caused by a problem in that area. You want your doctor to look at the broader picture, rather than just treating each bladder infection as if it existed in isolation. It clearly doesn't, or you wouldn't be getting so many of them. 

Is it possible that the surgery didn't quite go according to plan, and now pathogens make their way to your bladder more easily? I don't know much about this, but I have heard about fissures. Could something like that be happening?

I am thinking that your bladder infections MAY not be a result of your surgery but rather, a possible bladder disorder. A year ago, I started getting recurrent bladder infections every two weeks and they have persisted. I have an appointment coming up with a urologist but I've done my research and you may want to look into Interstitial Cystitis.

I also had bladder sling surgery on Sept 1, 2006. Since then I have had 4 bladder infections and have been on 4 different types of antibiotics. I go back to the doctors today not sure what they're going to do this time. I am also having a problem with constipation. Any help would be wonderful and very much appreciated.

Fed up,
Bonnie

Please help me! I have sling surgery Nov 14, 2006 and ever since I've been on every antibotic for baldder infections. Once I finish the dose two days later I get another one. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME! :-(

I had the sling surgery 5 and a half years ago (after 6 months of uti eavery two weeks)..... and two days ago got that feeling that I might have a bladder infection. I think I had one other occurance in 5 years. The GP said no infection found in urine. So, I'm thinking the sling dropped down and needs to be redone. The Dr. told me that the operation only lasts 5 years. Whats that tell ya?

Met a gal that had the old operation....and its lasted her a lifetime...she was in her 60's.

Hope this helps.

Carol

Okay ladies we need to talk! I had a bladder sling done in August. And I keep getting infections. I take the antibiotics and its back within 10 days after I finish the course. I was diagnosed with the I forget the spelling but its the one the lady was talking about inter...... cystitis. I am on medication for that so it has helped with the urgentcy. But since the surgery I now leak I did'nt before. I also had a hysterectomy,and bowel repair. So what's going on ? I'm getting ready to call the doctor again! ON ething I'm wondering about. Since the surgery I've been trying to get back on my vitimens. It seems like everytime I start them up I get this infection within a few days. T

had the bladder sling surgery, it didn't last a year. had the old abdominal way with complete hysterectomy. things were back in place. then shortly bladder infections probably every 2 months. upon extensive examinations it was observed that part of the mesh was left and bacteria had a straight path to the bladder. third surgery is scheduled. seems old is better, even for a 65+ year old.

Okay, I posted earlier about having surgery in Aug. and keep having reoccuring bladder infections.....to the point of wondering if it had anythng to do with my vitimens..........well the doctor did a test to see if I was retaining urine in the bladder after voiding, and I was ( this was a simple test done in his office. So ( I have the sling) he. said I needed to have minor surgery ( and it was I didnt evenn need the pain meds he gave me). He went in and put a nick in the sling he said it was up to high and I was'nt being able to emptyn my bladder all the way. I told him I felt as if I was having to push a little harder than I felt I should to just pee. He said this made since. So so far so good, I will let you know in 10 days if I have another bladder infection!

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy in two days. I am also scheduled for the urethrovesical suspension, aka bladder sling. I am stressing over the bladder surgery. I am hearing many problems with this. I would greatly appreciate any quick advise. Thanks!

I am doing a little research on this bladder sling surgery. I have a friend who had it done several weeks ago. She found out that there is more than one way to do it. Her Dr. goes in through the inside of the leg and places the mesh and then out the other inside leg. He actually makes a 'floor' there for support. This, also, keeps from strangling the urethra. The other way of doing it is going through the frontal area near the pubic bone. That is the way that supposedly strangles the urethra and keeps the bladder from emptying all the way, thus causing the kind of infections that you have and others I have read of in other cases. My friend is doing great! No problems. I have an appointment to see her Dr. real soon, as my Dr. does not do much surgery anymore. We shall see what he has to say. I hope that you can find help. See if there is any other Dr. that does the procedure differently. I'd think you'd be much more healthy with the thing out at this point..Good luck to you.

I just had my bladder floor worked on with the surgery called Cystocele repair, and then had the pubavaginal sling put in. This was the worst surgery I have every had. I had the surger on Jan 10th, and since Feb. 3, I have had a bladder infection that they can not seem to get rid of. Or at least that is what they said it was. I just went to my general Dr. and sure enough i had one with hi nitrates in it, which means, Ive had it for awhile, and all the antibiotics I have been taking for the last 3 weeks were not working. She is hoping to get a culture from this sample and that the new antibiotics im on will work. My urologists, who I was seeing before for all the pain i was in, finally said he didn't know what the problem was and didn't know how to help.

I'm not sure if the surgery he did caused all these problems or not, but I do know this. This is the worst infection I have ever had in my life, and like others on here I have had my share (1-2 a month after my 1st sling), but nothing like this.

Hi I had a bladder sling, uterus removed and a suspension done on Feb. 13th 2007 and I have had to self cath everyday since. I can't empty my bladder. Now it looks like I will have to have it removed after my 6 week check up. That is coming up in 2 weeks does anybody have any advice about what to expect after the sling is taken out? Thanks

I had the old-fashioned bladder suspension back in 1987 with a hysterectomy (2 9+ pound babies did a number on my inners!). I had occasional uninary infections off and on for a few years, and then started to develop incontinence and more infections around 2000.

I held off for a while thinking older women naturally have incontinence, but I finally had a bladder suspension surgery back in 2002 and have done very well for the past 5 years up until last week when I developed symptoms of an infection again (frequency, burning, bladder spasms, hesitency). However, the urine shows NO infection so far. So I'm going to see a urologist again next week (the soonest I can get in).

Guess what? NO bladder surgery lasts forever. I've been told this by 3 doctors; and any weight changes may speed up the need for a new surgery. (I've been working hard on trying to be healthier in my "golden" years; so have lost about 40 pounds through diet and exercise. I shouldn't have ignored that excess weight so long!).