Hi, my friend is 54 years old and he had brain surgery several days ago. He is feeling well now but I would like to know what may happen after craniotomy which was performed during operation? I someone has experience about it or some good advice I will be glad to hear it. Thanx.

Hi, craniotomy may be done in local or total anesthesia. There are few complications which would be taken care about after craniotomy. The first one is potential infection and the other on is pain in the head which appears few days after craniotomy. Your friend is probably taking antibiotics now and he would get some stronger analgesic if needed.

A craniotomy for brain surgery IS a serious procedure. Any operation in which the brain is operated on is serious. The risks immediately after include swelling of the brain (medication is given to reduce this happening) bleeding into the brain, stroke, epilepsy (medication given for that too. Expect to remain on this medication for several months) infection (MENINGITIS....antibiotics given to prevent that).
There may be a 'wooshing" sound/sensation in the head as your friend changes the position of his head in the bed. This is normal and due to air left in the skull. this dissipates over a few weeks. Burr holes can be felt in the skull.....small holes the surgeon drills in skull). Mine can still be felt after 12 months. When running, coughing, sneezing, occasionally the pressure can be felt by the skull piece "popping out". (It doesn't really pop out....just feels that way)
There may be some neurological deficit due to trauma to the brain in the operation. This depends on the type, location, size of the tumor.
I hope she recovers quickly.

You are incorrect. If the tumor is small enough, they can remove it by laser or other methods. If it is a meningioma, it's a safe bet it will be benign. A crainiotomy is performed when the tumor is too big for any other method. I am 6 months post-op. My headache was excrutiating for 2 weeks, and you have to sleep in a seated position with your head above your heart. I am still not driving the interstate, just around our tiny beach town. It is a 6 month to 2 year heal time, with all types of therapy needed, and really affects your life. Brains rebel if messed with.

This post is in reply to Ulyses. How can you possibly say it is not a severe operation? Unless you undergo this surgery, you can't logically reply to questions about it nor share info that is incorrect. Guest, you hit it right on the head. Thank you,

Maxiejap

The extent and size of the tumor or aneurysm will determine the type of surgery. I had a subdural hematoma in my right frontal lobe in 2008, which required a major surgery including a large portion of my skull removed to access and clip the vessel that was bleeding. My surgery was 4 1/2 hours in duration. There was no pain in the head after recovery, but I did end up with a seizure disorder still treated with anti-seizure medication. The pain in the head was pre-surgery, which felt like a major migraine.