My husband is 47 years old and he has been scheduled for macular hole surgery, has anyone here done that? It seems like he has been developing this condition for months and as far as I understood, this happened because of the poor blood and nutrition flow in the macular area. Will the surgery help him?

Sometimes, the surgery is the only solution that will restore his eyesight back to normal. I know that is might sound a bit too serious, but an operation is needed and it will help him. The procedure itself is not too complex but the recovery might last for up to three months. As for the effectiveness, that does depend on the seriousness of his condition, so it differs from patient to patient.

vitrectomy.blogspot.com may offer you some answers to your questions

For the patient, vitrectomy surgery for macular hole repair is nothing compared to the recovery! Assuming your husbands surgeon is recommending face down positioning following surgery you may want to check out the support devices available. You would be surprised at how heavy your head is when it is held in a way you are not used to maintaining.

i just had macular hole surgery done on my second eye. it takes a few monthe for your eyesight to get better. the worst part is haviing to keep your head down for over a week. i had no pain after the surgery. my docter was great