Hello. My child is going to have an umbrella to repair a hole in his heart. I don’t know much about this and reading about it is all I do these days. I’ve read that some holes in the heart need to be treated and others don’t. I wonder if the doctor made the right choice for my son. He says that this is not a surgery, it is more of a catheter procedure. I would really love to hear from someone who had experience with this or who is currently having similar problems. So is there anyone who have a hole in their atrium repaired with umbrellas?

Hey. I can’t tell you a thing from my experience. I know that I have heard about repairing the hole with an umbrella like device through the vein in the leg, but also I have heard that all surgeries have their risks such as rejection and infection, and even a stroke.

Now intervention depends on many factors.

So I can’t help you a lot, but I need to ask you did you consult your doctor about this? Will the hole get bigger if you don’t do anything about it? And I am also wondering have you asked him is your kid going to have a problem with this lungs and/or heart in the future?

Hi.

My doctor did a thousand of this procedures. Trust me, I was talking about umbrellas with him when I didn’t know what are they and how they can help patients with heart problems.

He explained to me that before a catheter procedure your child is given a medicine so he will sleep and he won’t feel any pain at all.

After this the doctor will insert a catheter. It is very thin, flexible tube.

He will set this into your vein in the groin and he will threads the tube to the heart’s septum.

This device is made up of two very small disks that looks like umbrella and it is attached to the catheter.

Hey there.

It is very important that holes in the heart can be treated. My friend told me that it can be repaired with umbrella because his uncle had this same situation. Well, during the procedure the doctor is going to insert a catheter (which is very thin) into the vein. The catheter has very thin umbrella device.

You can be calm because this device is secured in place and within 6 months normal tissue grows in and over the device. But still there is no need to replace the closure device as your child grows.

I really do believe that you are stressed about this case :/

You can’t even imagine how difficult this is to me. I never expected health problem like this to happen  to my child at such an early age. I can’t wait to see my kid running and being happy like other children of his age.

Yes, of course, I talked to the doctor. How else would I know that this procedure is needed. I don’t know a thing about it.

The doctor told me some general things about it, but like you know, doctors are always busy, especially the good ones, so he didn’t really go into much details. He just said that this procedure is needed.

I can relate to your story cause I also had problems with my son when he was younger. It wasn’t this particular problem, but I felt the same way. I was always asking God why did this had to happen to him, why not me or someone a who already lived at least half of his life, why him when he is only at the beginning. But it was much more serious situation with my son. His life was endangered.

As for your son, I am sure everything will go well. I know a girl who had this type of procedure and she was back to normal in no time, everything went great.

Hello. My sister had this procedure done. Don’t worry everything will be fine.

My family was more than satisfied with how this procedure was done. We really did have to pay some more money to have the doctor we wanted do the procedure. We were told that these procedures are not rare and that there are many doctors in the hospitals that can perform it, but my father insisted that this particular doctor is there, the doctor who was completely informed with my sister’s health from the beginning.

From your post, I see that you have chosen a good specialist, so there is no need to worry.

Hey there. Well I had this procedure when I was a kid but I don’t remember it because I was four or five years old. When my parents are talking with me about this they keep telling me how stressful this was to them. So I think that I understand what you are saying. When my parents asked doctor about this, he told them everything. I am really surprised because your doctor told you “just general stuff” about this. This is not that rare case, doctors have to deal with those cases always. I am fine now, the surgery was OK and I was at home after seven days. Everything is going to be ok.