Hi everyone. Is this site so popular or what? Honestly, I never have heard about it until today. I was seeking something about bypass surgery and it just “jumped” in front of me. I need to tell you that there are so many good posts and quality answers. I am not used to be a part of any forum or any website like this one, so this is actually my first time that I am telling something about me and my life, my health condition to the people that I really don’t know. So, here we go. I am supposed to do coronary angiogram in the April. I am scared because I hate when something hurts me. Can you tell me do you have experience with it and is it painful? If it is, how painful is and how to deal with it?

Hey. No need to be scared, really.

A coronary angiogram is a simple procedure. It uses X-ray imaging in order to see your heart's blood vessels.

This procedure can diagnose and also treat heart and blood vessel condition.

A coronary angiogram is the most common type in the group of heart catheterization procedures.

During this procedure they inject some sort of dye into your heart’s blood vessels. This is done so that they can see it through an X-ray machine. Then the machine takes some images and that’s how the doctor will see if anything else is needed to be done (e.g. angioplasty).  

Hello there. Don’t worry, it is nothing that scary and it is not painful at all. This is actually an X – ray image of blood vessels after they are filled with contrast material. A coronary angiogram can be used to identify the exact location and severity of CAD. Coronary angiography is performed with the use of local anesthesia and intravenous sedation and it is generally not that uncomfortable.

In performing a coronary angiogram a doctor will insert very small catheter ( 2 – 3 mm) through the skin into an artery in either the groin of the arm.

Don’t be scared.

Good day there.

Well as you already probably know, coronary angiogram is a specialized X – ray test to find out some information about your heart or your coronary arteries. It is mainly used if you do have angina to assess the extent and severity of angina.

The good thing is that this is not painful at all and that you really don’t need to be scared. Actually, it is just a routine procedure that you need to do but you don’t need to be scared that you will be in pain.

Of course, you need to get a lot of rest after this procedure. That is the best way to deal with it.

I had my actual heart attack while in the ER at 1 am. As soon as that happened they called in the cath team and I was in the cath lab by 4 am. I never felt a thing. I was trying to watch it on the TV screen up to my left but there was a nurse whose head was always in the way. I think they went in my right leg or groin to get there but I felt nothing and was never able to find any evidence afterward. I did get to see the film of it later while in cardiac rehab and have it explained to me by a cath tech.

Yes, I saw that you have a lot of experience with it, so I need to tell you that I am really glad when I saw your answers. They are really helpful. For example, my mom had similar situation like you had in your life and I told her to read this site.
You really didn’t felt a thing? It is a good thing, right?
For how long you need to rest after this procedure, and is this an only way to deal with it – just to rest or you need to do something else?
I appreciate your answers and thank you for your time.

I don't know what the rest period would be if that is the only thing that was done. When mine was done it was because I was in with a heart attack so I didn't go home, I went to another hospital for the surgery. I went in on a Wednesday evening and was home the following Tuesday morning after the operation.

The cath is done so they can see where any blockages are so they may want to do something after that to repair what they find.

Hey everyone,

I don't think that it's painful at all. It hurts just for a second at the beginning and that's it. Some people say that they felt weird during the procedure but none of them mentioned any pain.

There is a possibility, however, that you are going to feel some sort of a weird pain after the procedure. It won't mean that the procedure went wrong or did any harm to you, it's just that some people feel some sort of weird pain even couple of months after the procedure. I'm only telling you this so you don't freak out or something if it happens to you.

Hi everyone,

I can agree with everything that Health n Joy wrote. You shouldn't feel any pain during the procedure, it'll basically feel like when they are taking sample of your blood. 

However, the same thing that Health n Joy wrote, there are some people complaining about the pain they felt after the procedure. They usually get scared because of it and then go running to their doctor. You can do the same thing if only your doctor can make your calm, but I tell you, it's something normal that sometimes happens. You have nothing to worry about since this is pretty much a painless procedure. 

Hi everybody,

Yes, I heard as well that this procedure is painless, I also heard that only a few people experienced pain while having coronary angiogram done, but they were terrified of needles and hospitals in general so there must have been a great chance that they might have even imagined their pain.

Most people don't feel the pain during the procedure and neither after it. There are some people who say that they felt some sort of a weird but not strong pain a few months after the procedure had been done. It is said that this is normal and that it happens to a small number of people.