Good day. My name is Charles and I am 65 years old. I am diagnosed with myocardial bridge. I still don’t have a idea what should I do. My doctor told me that I need to go to the hospital because of the treatment and he told me that in the hospital other doctors will decide what is the proper to do in my condition – is it stenting or surgery. I was wondering what do you think and do you have any experience with it? I was hoping that you can help me by telling me what is the better option for my condition.

Thank you!

Hi there!

Your doctor is the best person to tell you this. But I believe that stenting is definitely the better option. Surgery is second option :) At least my doctor told me so.

He told me that if there is a possibility for stent than stenting should be your primary and number one option. Of course, you should always consult your doctor because according to your current stage he will tell you what the best is for you.

But I believe that he will tell you that stenting is your option number one.

Did you talk to him?

What is his suggestion?

Hey there.

My grandmother had this situation as well. But her condition was a little bit complicated because I think that she was waiting a long time to visit her doctor. So, she needed to go to the surgery. In her case that was the better option. It is not so good to tell you right now what is the better option for it. Sometimes surgery is better option because doctors told me that they don’t believe that my grandmother would be so fine after stenting.

And thanks God, she is still alive and fine :)

I think that you need to do a lot of tests to determine what is the best for you.

Can I just say that I admire your braveness. I once knew a person who was in a similar situation as yours and he really didn’t take it well, you know, mentally. That probably affected his health more that the actual disease. The stress and the negativity caused many other problems… But that’s another story.

Back to your question- If I were you, I would let the doctors decide. It depends on your situation. In general, I would say that a surgical treatment (if it is possible to perform it) is a better choice and that it shows better results than stenting.

Hello everyone. Thank you so much. It is nice to know that I am not alone and that you really want to help me with your advice, experience – it doesn’t matter. I am so happy because I am part of this site. I was talking with my doctors and they told me that I should choose and suggest them my arguments what the better solution is. They told me that stenting is definitely better option but that I should decide. I was thinking a lot about this and I made my decision – stenting. What should I expect now? Thank you!

What to expect… Well, you will be given local anesthetics. They will insert the catheter in the arm or in the groin. They will also give you pain medication to help you handle the procedure better. Then they will put a wire through the needle and into the artery and they will make sure that it gets to the blocked artery. Next a catheter (very thin and flexible don’t worry) will be slipped over the wire and guided till it arrives to the blocked place.

They will do some x-rays of course to keep track where the catheter and the wire are positioned. Then they will inject dye in the heart arteries (through catheter) in order to see those arteries on x-ray image. That will show them where is the blockage.

When they found it, they will insert a small balloon and guide it to the blocked place. The balloon will be stretched so that it enables artery to spread. It pushes the thing that blocked your artery (plaque) to the walls of the artery. This allows blood to flow and carry oxygen to the heart muscle.

Then another tube with a balloon is inserted but this time there is a stent wrapped around it, so when they spread the balloon, they also spread that stent made out of mesh metal. This prevent the artery to become narrow again. And then they remove the catheter.

You will be fine, it is not as scary as it sounds, I’ve been through it with my dad.

Good for you. I salute your choice even though I would go with surgical procedure if I were you. I read many articles that say that surgical procedures have shown better results. But it’s your choice.

Frankly I am a bit surprised that the doctors let you choose.

Anyway… You asked about what you can expect, well you have a complete procedure described in the previous reply. People usually ask how long will the stent last and the answer is- a stent will last forever if made of metal mesh ,as the majority of stents currently are. So no worries there.