Hey all. How are you today? How is this weather affecting you? It affects me terribly, my blood pressure is almost never ok and I ended up in the hospital the other day. I will be here for the next two or three days.

What I wanted to ask you has nothing to do with me. We are just chitchatting here at the hospital and there is this man who is currently in the bed next to mine, he is recovering from PFO closure procedure.

He says he is always tired and it seems to him that this will never end. So I wanted to know do you have any experiences with low endurance and tiredness after PFO closure?

Well since you say that you are both in the hospital now and that he is still recovering I think it is early to assume that his condition won’t get better. It certainly will.

I don’t have any personal experience with this but I have a friend who went through this procedure and I remember that she was very tired when she finally got home.

She had difficulties climbing the stairs and going to the bathroom which was downstairs in the house she lived back then. After some time she got better and she recovered her strength. So tell your friend to think positive.  

Hi there.
It is very early to say what is going to happen with him in the near future because it is still very early to tell any diagnosis. I know that this weather can affect everyone really bad, but it is surprising that I am doing so fine. There is a big possibility that he will feel tired even a days after this procedure, maybe a month as well. I think that this is normal condition after PFO. I don’t know about low endurance, is this common in patients but he should definitely tell his doctor about this. He needs to know…

Hey there. I was about to start this topic as well because my wife had PFO and she is tired as well. It is very weird for me because, maybe it seems impossible for all of you, but I had PFO as well. And now my wife had it. Coincidence? I don’t know, you tell me. Well, after PFO I was feeling great. I was not tired, I didn’t have any side – effects. Now when she told me that she is feeling tired and that she is having unconsciousness I was thinking that something is wrong with her. But now I see that she is perfectly OK and that I don’t need to be scared. I don’t have to, right?

Hey Stradivarius,

Look, he just had this procedure done since he is still recovering in the hospital. They wouldn't keep him in for no reason, he needs some time to recover and it is normal that after these kind of procedures you feel kind of tired and need some time to rest, otherwise, they would allow him to go home. It might probably take a few days for him to feel normal. But, on the other hand, there is always a chance that this is just something inside his head, like he made himself think that he is tired because of the procedure done. Take that into consideration as well.

Hey Stradivarius,

I'm guessing that the doctors who closed his PFO know what they are doing, otherwise, they wouldn't be doctors. PFO closure is not something that is always done because not all patients are eligible for it. Since that man had a PFO closure, it means that he was eligible for it and it shouldn't have any consequences or side effects. 

Now, after the procedure has been done, it is normal for him to feel tired, like after every other similar procedure, no worries. It takes two or three days to recover after this so I'm guessing that your friend is already feeling better.

Hey guys,

It is indeed normal that you feel tired after PFO closure but only for a day or two. Some people are released home even right after the surgery.

There are things that you will need to do after the procedure has been done. You will probably have to take aspirin for up to a year in order to prevent blood clots from forming on the device. 

The PFO closure procedure is actually a bit risky and can eventually lead to death. You can have a heart attack during the procedure, you can get an infection or you could end up with a hole in your heart.