I had a wisdom tooth -  bottom left - extracted about 7 weeks ago which was slow to heal.  It had been impacting on the tooth next to it which I had filled a week ago - now I have sensitivity to hot and cold ( not pressure though) and it my jaw is achy.  Could all of the drilling etc have irritated the nerve and already weakened jaw bone (bone had to be removed to extract wisdom tooth) or is there something else going on? Filling was not that deep and was filled too high but that was ground down 2 days after filling.  Any ideas? Thanks

Hi Mytoothhurts2

This is all about dental filling you had a week ago - allow me to explain -

Tooth sensitivity following placement of a filling is fairly common. A tooth may be sensitive to pressure, air, sweet foods, or temperature. Usually, the sensitivity resolves on its own within a few weeks. During this time, avoid those things that are causing the sensitivity. Pain relievers are generally not required.

Contact your dentist if the sensitivity does not subside within two to four weeks or if your tooth is extremely sensitive. He or she may recommend you use a desensitizing toothpaste, may apply a desensitizing agent to the tooth, or possibly suggest a root canal procedure.

There are several explanations for pain around fillings, each resulting from a different cause.

1. Pain when you bite or touch you teeth together. This type of pain occurs when you bite down. The pain is noticed soon after the anesthesia wears off and continues over time. In this case, the filling is interfering with your bite. You will need to return to your dentist and have the filling reshaped. If the pain still continues, it may indicate a further problem that requires additional treatment such as a root canal.
  2. Pain to hot or cold. This pain is a very sharp pain that occurs only when your teeth touch something hot or cold; the pain goes away in a few seconds when the hot or cold is removed. If this pain lingers on for a long time even after the hot or cold is removed, it may indicate irreversible damage to the nerve and you should contact your dentist.
  3. "Toothache-type" constant throbbing pain. If the decay was very deep to the pulp of the tooth, this "toothache" response may indicate this tissue is no longer healthy. If this is the case, "root canal" treatment may be required.
  4. Referred pain. This is pain or sensitivity in other teeth besides the one that received the filling. With this particular pain, there is likely nothing wrong with your teeth. The filled tooth is simply passing along "pain signals"  it is receiving to other teeth. This pain should decrease on its own over one to two weeks.

If you get skin rashes or itching, you maybe allergic to compounds in the dental filling. Contact your doctor ASAP. Good luck

Thanks for the info aushi. The problem is that the pain is only to hot & cold and it lingers - there is also a constant ache. I am definitely needing pain killers (and I have a very high pain threshold) - ibuprofen is doing the job. The tooth only required a smallish filling so I would be surprised if the dentist got to the pulp of the tooth. The wisdom tooth extraction site is still very deep and the sensitivity seems to occur mainly when fluid hits the molar at the back (where the filling is and the wisdom tooth was impacting). The wisdom tooth hole is still VERY deep - could there be exposure of the roots of my 2nd molar causing this pain? I have been using Sensodyne and Colgate Pro-relief mouth wash for sensitive teeth to flush out the wisdom tooth extraction site twice a day - they don't seem to be helping much. That side of my face is also slightly swollen but I don't think it's infection as I have been taking Amoxicillin for 3 days as I also happen to have a sore throat. thanks again.

In my humble opinion, it IS an infection that needs attention [am not a doctor]. Please consult your dentist right away