I'm working on developing core strength so that I can become more poised and have better posture (plus other reasons). When not paying attention, my head juts out, my shoulders round, and I hunch like the computer geek that I am. When my posture is correct, it doesn't feel right, and I've been working on this awhile.

I've been pondering having a chiropractor adjust my back/shoulders/neck (especially since I'm improving the muscles needed to hold the adjustment), but my husband will have no part of it. He thinks they're all quacks and that I'm asking for trouble. When I was a teenager, my experience with one (over a few visits) was negative, but he was a big flake, to boot.

Not wishing to judge one group with our limited experience, I'd like to get an idea what you all think. My apologies if I've said anything that offends chiropractors or their friends/family.

Thanks!

I have been going to a chiro for a few weeks now and he has really helped to improve my back pain. With that being said, I would just not go to anyone chiro. I would be sure to do some investigating. There are a lot of quacks out there and I have heard plenty of horror stories. I would ask other runners or the people in your exercise classes who they go too. Get a few references.

Good Luck!

I would go in a heartbeat if I knew I was going to a reputable one. All I have heard about the good ones is how life changing they are!

It's a sad thing that AF medicine doesn't yet see the value in Chiros--the closest they come are physical therapists--which are great, but I think a well-trained Chiro can do so much for the body.

make sure you know who you're going to -- it's worth a few visits. i went to one for 3 months; he adjusted my back :D and neck :umno: and i've really not had any neck pain or stiffness since i saw him last spring....howevah he tried "recruiting" me into his DC way of life and that was scary. a huge :umno: for me. i mean, he was nice enough but i suddenly felt like i was roped into some cult or pyramid scheme or something.. it got weird so i said see ya.

I hear what you are saying. The guy I go to is not into recruitment. He actually refers people to the medical side once in while. A few adjustments then he sends me on my merry way. I would be weary of the Chiro cult leaders. IMHO

I'm pondering. I deal with some back soreness every day, and i know that i crack my back (and everything else) waaaaay too often, but just can't break the habit. I also know that i'm obviously doing it improperly as far for medical benefits.