I have been getting a terrible burning on my mid back between my shoulder blades. It's been occassional for 2-3 months, but now it is daily. The pain is also spreading across my back and down just a bit.
The pain occurs mid-day. I look into a microscope like instrument also mid day. My body is straight, but my head is tilted out and down.
My coworkers think it is gallblader.
Any idea?

Hello...
I have the same condition and it has progressed in th same manner as yours.
I went to the doctor twice prior when it was still fairly mild and they continue to tell me it is GERDS (Acide Reflux) but it is CONSTANT!
Nightime I gain some relief and dont typically awake with it in the morning. Over the counter pain relievers help very little.I have been a secretary for 12 years so I wonder if it could be from posture????
HELP!

I heard a lot of people complain of back pains and problems with their throats lately... as well as their chest *sternum* and most of the time doctors are saying it is a result to acid reflex, bronchitest, or Pneumonia... but I've been having a small bit of fear for cancer... I have been having small amount of pain in my shoulder blades... some irritations in my throat just below the adams apple... and a feeling like my food is stuck... which is actually true in some cases... i find my self throwing up food... and it feels like all my breath stops at my chest... instead of going to my lungs... worse at night...

Hello....
I have the same condition. It started fairly mild but is now constant and the level of pain has increased. I too have been told it is GERDS and been referred to a GI. However, I have been a secretay for 12 years as well and have wondered if the condition comes from my posture.
The condition is painful and constant, a burning type pain. I get little releif from pain relievers as well.
BEst of Luck To You Both & I Would Love To Hear From Others.....

Hello all...
I too have this same pain in the upper back that is constant. It even makes my chest wall sore. I was also told it is GERDS and referred to a GI.
The pain subsides with rest and begins about mid morning. I have also been a secretary for close to 12 years. Anti-Inflamatories nor pain relievers (over the counter or script) work.
I began taking Lexapro for anxiety and it seems to help somewhat, but it never seems to go away totally.
I was percribed Protonoix which did little to nothing. Began taking Prilosec and Gaviscon (recommended over the web) which helps a little as well.
What is this wretched, contstant burning pain in the upper/mid back!!!????

I have suffered for months with many different things, many ER trips, Dr. Appts... pain. Maybe all of the tests I had might help save someone else some time and money down the drain .

In May my daughter had her gallbladder removed and I stayed in the hospital with her for 3 days. Her classmates suffered from an outbreak of staph infections for 8+ months. There was an outbreak in the DFW area and ER rooms were full with staph complaints everytime I took her in. So, end of May she had surgery. Within a week I was sick. Thought it was stomach bug at first. Woke up with large abcess on inside of my right leg. MRSA staph abcess is what ER said which I already knew from my dauthers history. Four days on couch very, very ill and not getting better. Antibiotics not working so they replaced. It took weeks to get over it. End of June I was back in ER with stomach issues and pain in my side and back. They said constipation and sent me home. This went on for a few days until finally they said GERD. July had colonoscopy and scope to check stomach. Results showed GERD and acid had been coming all the way to my throat though I had never had felt "heartburn". Also found out my headaches and bad earaches were from acid in throat getting near nerves around my ear. I even lost my voice a few times over a few week peroid. I've taken Asiphex, Prilosac, Previsid[sp?]... along with OTC like Gaviscon. They even put me on IBS meds. It's been misserable. I work then rest, work then rest, etc.

So................ last appt was with orthopedic surgeon to check my right hip & side because I've had a slight noise with every step for months. Everyone kept telling me "Let's take care of this [GERD] first and then we'll get to the hip thing later since it's not causing any pain when you walk. So about 3-4 weeks ago along with the daily dull back pain [that's always worse towards end of day] I started getting tingles/chills in my back to arms & legs then my back would go numb. Sometimes just up and down the spine. Other times just shoulderblades. I made the appt and saw the surgeon.

He said I had pulled the Iliopsoas muscle. I needed physical therapy for 4 weeks to stretch it back out because it was tightening up, which would cause that little click noise. He told me the muscle is attached to your Hip, your Ribs and your Lower Spine. There are a lot of nerve endings along your back and inside where when the GI track was swelling from acid and havoc ... would start pain, tingling, etc.

The reason I'm giving so many details is because at the end of the visit he stopped and asked this question: "Have you suffered from stomach ulcers? It is a common side effect".

How much have I spent on ER trips, Dr. visits, prescriptions & over-the-counter meds, day surgeries, ALL to get better. ALL FOR A PULLED MUSCLE!?!?!?!?!?!

They said I pulled the Iliopsoas, suffered from the effects like GI issues and the pain up the rest of my back is me tense from pain and walking differently trying to compensate for pain in hip and ribs I've slowing gotten use to living with even though it hurts everyday. Here's a few links from Google on the Iliopsoas Muscle. It's worth asking your Dr. about... I mean, what have you got to loose? Except back pain and GERD... if that turns out to be what's wrong.

http://www.easyvigour.net.nz/fitness/h_Chair_Sit3.htm

http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/15/05/24.html

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/iliopsoas-tendonitis.php

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/piriformis-syndrome.php

PS - if I learned anything it is this: If you know something is wrong and you don't thing your Dr. believes what you are saying go somewhere else. Write down how you are feeling with dates. It's hard to fit it all in the 15min window you get with a PCP now a days. Last, but not least My dad pointed out that every Dr. had an advise but was I asking WHY? Why is my stomach swollen? What causes that? What about this? Ask every question you can until you get answers. I was "Quick Diagnosed" a dozen times with constipation, or "just acid reflux", or one of those people coming into ER looking for pain meds?? Until I refused pain medication and when the Dr. came in I told him I didn't need pain meds, I had plenty at home. What I needed was for someone to find out what was wrong with me!!

Hi

I have had the burning pain constantly between my should blades and am having problems with my stomach as well (I was diagnoised IBS 10 years ago.) but seem to be having acid reflux problems at present. I have just been to the hospital for tests and it seems I have hyperventilation. It can cause changes in the body to include acid stomach problems and burning between the shoulder blades not to mention numb or tingling fingers and arms. I originally was put on acid reducing tablets for my stomach, but I never really got major pain between my front where you normally would associate heart burn. Don't get me wrong, I know I do have excess acid because sometimes it is in my mouth but I generally don't think this is the cause of the burning in my back. I had a bath with lavender oil and my husband rubbed my shoulder blades and that does give you a period of relief although it is still very sore. I was told that was because the nerves had been stimulated due to too much carbon dioxide in the blood and the muscles are overworked because of the hyperventilation producing lactic acid. Stress apparently can do this, it is a circle of pain and worry and the more worry the more it aggreviates the pain and causes more problems on the nerves. I have to go back to the hospital in a few weeks to find out the cause of action, but they said I need physiotherapy to help me learn to breath properly. I feel very positive at present XD

I just recently had my gallbladder removed and now I've started experiencing a searing burning pain in between my shoulder blades. I've tried massage, OTC pain meds even streching exercises any suggestions.

I've been searching for any information regarding the buring in the upper abdomen and found this forum thread.

Some say it can be pancreatitis, others say it deals with acid from the stomach area going to the wrong places.

Well, this buring I'm having is above the stomach on the far left side where the ribs are. The burn starts off like a small heat in the area mentioned and then in a few seconds ignites to the size of my fist for the given area. This buring takes only 10-15 seconds and then fades away. Depending on the rest or work I'm doing, the flare ups happen repeatedly of 5 or 8 times per hour.

My doctor put me on something called Zegerid; 40mg omeprazole and 1100mg sodium bicarbonate. He thinks this is a stomach acid issue. However, even after taking the medication, the buring keeps going in that localized area and then moves outwardly and fades away. This happens regardlessly if I have eaten or not.

I find the most relief by laying down and keeping still. This provides the least amount of buring attacks.

One thing I found on the web also deals with the spleen. If the spleen goes bad, it can kill off the blood platelettes. (sp?) This can kill you over a short time too!

So, as people in this thread described the buring pain, is it constant? or does it flare up and then fades away?

I HAVE A DULL ACHE THAT IS BETWEEN MY BACK SHOULDER BLADES AND A PICKY FEELING THAT FEELS LIKE IT IS IN MY HEART. I HAD FAILED TWO STRESS TESTS TWO YEARS AGO AND THEY DID A HEART CATH AND FOUND NO BLOCKAGE. KINDA JUST DROPPED IT THERE. I HAVE JUST RECENTLY STARTED TAKING ZANTAC TO SEE IF IT IS MAYBE GAS RELATED. I HAVE NEVER HAD HEART BURN, BUT THIS IS NOT AN ACTUAL BURNING FEELING I AM HAVING. PLEASE HELP IF ANYONE HAS HAD THESE SYMPTOMS. I AM A 42 YEAR FEMALE.

I have been experiencing the same symptoms for the better part of this year; have had numerous procedures and diagnosis, but the pain in my upper back, left chest and neck just keep getting worse. Can anybody supply any updates from any previous posts?

I wish I had some answers, but all I have are more questions....I have been experiencing the same symptoms for the better part of this year; have had numerous procedures and diagnosis, but the pain in my upper back, left chest and neck just keeps getting worse. Can anybody supply any updates from any previous posts?

Could all you people experiencing sharp pain between shoulder blades, be suffering from low blood sugar? I have the same pain off and on and today I didn't have it at all until I ate a whole bunch of M & Ms and here it came, also the breathless, can't get enough air in my lungs feeling. I know this feeling as low blood sugar which I have suffered with for years, I now believe that the sharp pain between my shoulder blades is a new symptom. Read an article about it and they pinpointed the exact spot as possible low blood sugar problem. Everyone try to notice if it comes on or gets worse with sugar consumption!!

I have all the symptoms that have been described by others, but have one additional one that is driving me crazy. My stomach is gurgling constantly as though I haven't eaten for several hours even if I just ate. I rarely feel a normal full feeling. The discomfort in my back makes me feel hungry all the time! I hate it. Does anyone else experience this?

I have had this type pain for 19 years. I thought I was dying. I did have clogged artery but that wasn't the cause of the pain. They put in a stent - the burning pain between shoulder blades persisted and still persists today. I have a hiatal hernia. I have noticed one thing that might help everyone - don't eat ketchup or anything with tomato sauces. It's the weirdest thing but hot sauce doesn't cause it, but ketchup does. The 2 things that help me most are Zantac and gas x. When I get the attacks I take them right away and keep taking them for several days.

Hope this helps.