Hi all
I might just be being paranoid, but just over a year ago I had surgery to correct scoliosis - I had a spinal fusion and rods put in my back and everything. The surgery was 100% successfull and I had a wonderful surgeon and I recovered really well. The only thing I'm worrying about now, though, is that my neck is slowly hunching forward...the fusion goes most the way up my back so I have good posture, but where it stops I'm afraid my back was too weak to support the rest of my neck and head so now it's starting to hunch forward into a "hunch neck" kind of thing. Has anyone else experienced this/know what I should do? Please help, I worry about these things.
Thanks
-Sam

Yes, I have severe neck pain, however, i've had my surgery over 20 years ago. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Sorry you had surgery before finding a good chiropractor. Corrective care chiropractors work on correcting the abnormal curves of the spine naturally. 80% of surgeries fail, we see great success in correcting scoliosis- even in post surgery patients keeping the normal lateral curves of the spine properly. There is a chance that you are loosing cervical curve and need to be adjusted and probably gentle traction to avoid future surgeries. An optimal spine equals optimal health- your nervous system travels through that thing :-D and the nervous system controls EVERY function of your body. Seek the advice of a good chiropractor- your surgeon will disagree- but then again, he sees a future surgery. God bless you.

hi am 14 years old and had scoliosis surgery 1 month ago i have found it to be very painful when i am walking and my neck start to drup and i dont relize it when that happens it also affects myleft shoulder blade so i have found it that if you keep your head up high it makes the pain go away

Hi, my son has been diagnosed with scoliosis and has to have an op in a couple of months time. He has a 52 % curviture. The doctors found his spine problem when the were looking for something else. My son has been suffering with double vision and dizziness for the past couple of months. Hes had to go to hospital about this and have loads of tests done on him. Im wondering if this could be realated to the scoliosis. Trapping of a nerve maybe???Has anyone else had these symtoms. Kate

chiropractors are useless. Whoever wrote that must be one because all they want to do is take your money. No way can someone fix your spine. and 80% of surgeries do NOT fail. I had spinal fusion surgery November 14th of 2006 and it was a huge success. There has been numerous people in my family with the same type of problem and one went to a chiropractor and it helped NONE whatsoever. Surgery IS the best option.

I had mi scoliosis corrected when I was 14, in 1994, because the curve was so extreme that it was putting pressure on my lungs and no matter how much physio I did, it wouldn't stop moving. A lot of the time surgery is the only answer, but it was a total success, and I've had no problems whatsoever since, although I have to do Pilates to keep it strong.

Kate Gardner, it sounds like quite a normal reaction to have double vision and dizziness, especially if the curve is restricting full circulation to certain places. I didn't have it, but I did experience headaches, I wouldn't worry at all. Tell him good luck for the surgery!

I wore a Milwaukee Brace for 1.5 years in middle school. the doctors suggested the surgery, and we went forward.

I had surgery 30 years ago this coming May. At that time, recovery included 3 weeks of immobility and wearing a body cast for 6 months. I started High School during that 6 months, and was also excused from gym class for 2 years. Life was pretty normal -even wonderful! I have 2 children, a fantastic husband of 22 years and a fabulous career. Scoliosis surgery helped me live and lead a normal life.

I have started feeling more and more neck/bone pain over the past few months. I do not know if this is due to over-lifting, lack of exercise, getting older, and or related to my scoliosis.

I am wondering if anyone else who has had surgery this long ago is experiencing similar ailments and if so what are you doing about it?

I had my scoliosis surgery 13 years ago. It was 100% successful. However, I am currently experiencing lower back pain. Anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions for helping with this problem?

If 80% of scoliosis surgeries fail then why do they perform them at all?
It seems that Doctors who have been to school for 8 years would know that if a surgery had a 20% success rate then they would try an alternative method to correct scoliosis.

I don't think 80% of surgeries fail...my surgery did SO much good for me and I lead a normal life with it, and I think the aches and pains are just part of it. Sometimes my lower back gets sore and my neck etc but I think that's just part of what comes with this sort of thing.....it would be worse if I had never had the surgery, that's for sure. I'd look like the hunchback of notredame by now.

Hmm....

I had surgery 9 years ago and continue to have lower back pain. The surgery also tilted my rib cage slightly which causes problems. My surgery is considered 100% successful, but I'm wondering if I should get a second opinion. Are these results normal?

My 16 year old daughter has thoraco-lumbar scoliosis which has progressed to the point of considering surgery as an option. Even after yoga, chiropractic and myofascial massage her curve has increased. For those of you who had surgery...what kind of suggestions would you have for post operative care? Were there any problems with pregnancies? If you are experiencing neck pain where does your fusion began and end? Have you had any physical limitations resulting from the surgery?

Hi.
I had scoliosis surgery with a herrington rod 13 years ago. My spine was extremly curved, maybe 60 degrees.
Now I am a healthy, normal 23 year old getting married in several months. I played basketball, softball, tennis, and volleyball in high school.
I just had a x-ray and everything looks normal. I have some lower back pain occassionally, but exercise helps. I would reccomend surgery 100%. I went to U of M for my surgery and my Dr. was excellent.

Hi.
If you are a parent try not to worry. My dad fainted when he heard that I was having surgery. It was a hard road but once you cross it you will be happy seeing that your child is having a normal life.