My friend has just returned from his chiropractic neck session and he says that the neck is great, but that nausea came. It held him for couple of hours and then it was gone. Can chiropractic cause nausea? I am just so worried about him; I don’t want to see him suffer.

Well, there are several cases in which people complained that they had felt nausea for some period of time after the treatment. But, since the problem they went for in the first place is gone, and nausea passes after a while, I guess it is something that is endurable. After all, almost 100% of medications prescribed by doctors have some bad side effects (some are even very serious).

Your post rang true to what I've been experiencing. Only for me, discomfort does not completely subside after a few hours. I've been getting adjusted twice per week, and every time I go back in my nausea gets aggravated. Icing my middle back alleviates the symptoms (apparently that's where the stomach nerve terminates on the spine). Anyways, consuming caffeine or just the wrong food causes me to bloat up and feel discomfort. i'm thinking of stopping the treatments altogether because i can't deal with this anymore...

I just went in to the chiropractor today for neck muscle spasm and tighting. A few hours later I experienced nausea, diarrhea and vomiting. All of these lasted for about three hours. I hope this doesn't happen every time I get adjusted.

Nausea is not direct consequence of any chiropractic treatment. If you suffer from these symptoms all the time you should discuss it with the chiropractor. May be there is some fault lying with the technique applied. If right technique is applied nausea should not happen.

I also have nausea after an adjustment. It lasted several hours I also experienced aching all over like the feeling you get when you have the flu, but after a few hours it stopped. What is it about adjustments that might cause this??

I went to a chiropractor a couple of years ago and I will NEVER go back. Following the session I developed severe nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. I couldn't stand up without feeling like I would be sick, and I couldn't even drink water without bringing it back up. Anything that I did manage to keep down would send me running to the toilet about 20 minutes later to poo out my chewed up meal. This lasted for about 2 weeks, and about half way through my diarrhea looked like clean water. I was shaky, weak, lightheaded and dizzy, would faint when I stood up, and also developed severe, constant neck pain far worse than anything I had ever experienced before. I lost about 10 kg (22 pounds), and as I was already a bit underweight before the "treatment" I looked like a skeleton. At this point I asked to be taken to hospital as the sypmptoms showed no signs of easing. It took months to recover, regain the weight and feel strong again. Worst thing I ever did.

I went to the chirpractor on the 29 of july/2011
That evening I felt nausous and felt like gagging and throwing up.  I went the 30 of july/2011 but decided that neck adjustment was not good.  Have been having lots of problems with swallowing.  Also  breathing but having a history of reflux and not taking stomach meds maybe my throat and etc is all aggravated causing lots of irratation.  Went to naturalist on the 11 of August/2011 and they have a massage therapist and they did there own gentle adjustments and since then felt even more sick and nausous. 

I just fear the worst.  Dying from seeking out alternative care when all it has done was made it worse.

I have had the same experience after my last two adjustments, also the 3rd and 4th ever in myt life. But Everything described above is what was happening that made me decide to rtry a chiropractic in the first place. Ctscan revealed nothing, xray revealed crushed disks. Chiro said today we'll back off for a while after only three adjustments. He said that before I got sick today. Last week I also experienced a flashback memory of an injury I forgot about, so I believe the adjustments are working areas that have been injured for over 15 years, I guess I should expect some discomfort.

When your joints are moved beyond it's normal range they can start to release toxins in your body making you feel nauseas. Drinking lots of water and icing your back should help.

I agree. If your muscles have been tightend by a pinched nerve, when the nerve pressure is taken away, the blood flow can be a shock to your starved system. This can cause dizziness and nausea and more frequent bowel movements as things start flowing normally again. In my case, It went away after a few hours and I feel soooo much better.

reasearch your chiropractor, read the reviews...not all is was it is cracked up to be...pardon the pun. In defense, fixing the problem at the source, is the best thing you can do. MD's mask the problem and guinea pig you with painkillers which is dangerous, as pain is you signal to rest and how to rest.

People should understand that after a chiropractic treatment, there is a change in the flow of toxins and anti-toxins moving through the body. Our body shuns toxins in several ways that have the "shun" sound at the end of them, and as these toxins are released through treatment, they have to move somewhere. In that movement, they can cause several short term problems. The shuns? Respiration, Perspiration, Filtration which will lead to> Urination, Defication, and(Absorption. The way you'll know toxins are being shunned will be foul breath, foul body odor, darker than usual urine, diarrhea or constipation, and (muscle aches - nausea - dizziness - headache). These are in the same order as the shuns were listed. Don't give up on chiropractic or massage when these occur because they are uncomfortable. Rather think of them as the proof that the treatment is working. Always follow a chiropractic or massage treatment with a bottle of water, and continue to drink extra water to help speed the toxin removal from the body. Lastly, any of these things that take place for longer than two days may be an indication of something else occurring, such as a virusg or other ailment, and you should call your doctor's office for an appointment.

I also went to a chriopractor 2 months ago and since then I have had constant nausea. I am struggling with eating everyday as I do not have the desire to eat. I have lost 8kgs (weight now 50kgs). Did you lose the desire to eat? Reading that you finally did recover, reganin weight and feel strong again is good news. Thanks.

I took my son to a chiropractor who claims to heal kids naturally and get them off of their meds.  My son was stable on his toxic meds, but after two adjustments my son started getting severe diarrhea. The chiropractor told us to expect this. As soon as the diarrhea started, my son had a relapse and was not responding to his meds. The diarrhea was on and off for two weeks and at this point he was so dehydrated that he needed to be taken to ER.  After being admitted, his entire body has been disrupted. Doctors have run all sorts of tests for infection and everything came back negative. My son is not showing any signs of improvement. The meds that used to work are no longer working. I so much regret taking him to the chiropractor.  I am not sure how they get the credentials to be called "Dr". They are witch doctors and no nothing about science or the body. For the parents with sick children, please be cautious if you ever think about chiropractor care for anything besides back pain. My son was normal and healthy and stable with his meds for an autoimmune disease. I was swayed by this chiropractor who said she could get him off of his meds naturally through adjustments. 

My son has been hospitalized for a week now with no solution in sight with how to get him normalized again. The diarrhea is not going away and my son is not eating or drinking much.  Just wanted to share this story in hopes that other kids don't get sick after spinal adjustments. I wish chiropractors would stick to working on people with back pains and not step outside their boundaries of trying to heal other diseases of which they know nothing about.

I went to the chiropractor, and was pretty excited because orthopedist hadn't been too productive. I found this chiro on ZocDoc, and he had great reviews. First day I went, said I need orthotics and ordered them. Second day, a back brace, gave it to me. Of course, my great insurance covers everything...

What's worse is that the second appointment he flip flopped on the leg length discrepancy, saying it was now the other leg and that I didn't remember correctly. Additionally, all the guy talked about was drinking and partying and how he was "so awesome." He was a complete id**t, and ever since I have gotten these two adjustments, I feel worse than I did before. I feel nauseous and dizzy, like something was disrupted in my neck. It's only been about 4 days, but this is messing with some fundamental parts of your body. What is even scarier is if any chiro is like oh don't worry, vomiting, bowel movements, dizziness for days after is normal....sounds like a really easy way to cover up the fact that you are messing with something they shouldn't be. I guess we'll see if I return to normal in the near future, but I don't trust this chiro at all, and have canceled all my appointments. Sounded like an id**t trying to make money off of decent health insurance plans. 

Also, beware of ZocDoc reviews. This guy was the most unprofessional bimbo "doctor" I have ever been to, and he has 5/5 of ZocDoc from 25 reviewers. Clearly he pumps the system with fake reviews.