I just got one of those scales that measure body fat, called healthometer. I have noticed it registers a higher pct of body fat with clothes on than without. This mistake is around 3%, which seems backwards. How accurate are healthometers, and what do they actually measure? Can you tell me more about this, because I found it a little bit confusing?

I cannot comment on the quality of Healthometers per se and just like that. Briefly, physically, BIA devices measure the electrical impedance to a current passed through some parts of the body. Statistical correlation is used to relate this number to total body water TBW. Beside this, Halthmeters are also used to measure fat-free mass FFM, or total body fat. The accuracy of Halthmeters or body fat depends on how well you fit the math model. This model sampling and regression analysis, as well as how closely you follow the protocol for performing the measurement. This is little different from the statement that can be made about all of the methods. This is making assumptions about the distribution of body composition. Hydrostatic static or underwater weighing and, more recently, DEXA have become the standard. This became referents to compare against because they involve the lowest degree of such assumptions.