Hello.

I'm trying to lose fat from around my hips. Most of my fat is stored there and my hips look so huge and kinda unnatural on a guy. I try to go to the gym 3-4 times a week.  I'm also running once a week. But still, the fat on my hips is going nowhere. :( Could you suggest some good exercises that will help me lose hip fat?

Standing Side Kick

Targets: Inner thighs, glutes, quadriceps, outer hips 

• With feet hip-width apart and hands on hips, slowly extend right leg to the side at hip height in 3 full counts.
  • Be sure to keep inner thigh parallel to the floor.
  • Hold for 1 count, then take 3 counts to lower to floor.
  • Do 15 times, then switch sides.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hey there,

Firstly great work on the exercise. If you can keep that up and have the diet to go with it, you'll be looking the way you want in no time.

Now to your question, it's pretty difficult to lose fat in particular areas. It's more a case of overall body fat. The body automatically stores body fat in different places for males and female (Males generally in the stomach and chest, females in the hips and legs). So I would definitely start by getting your body fat tested so that you can measure that and see how you're progressing.

For exercises I would go with your normal workout (hopefully total body or a 2 body part split) and add some active cardio in between the sets of the workout. So what I mean by that is after you finish a set of leg presses for example, do 1 minute of jump roping or mountain climbers or jogging in place etc. Try not to rest for more than 60-90 seconds afterwards, and then get into the next step. What this will do is allow your heart rate to stay slightly elevated throughout the lift. Because you wont be working at a level that your body is forced to burn carbs, your body will naturally go for the slower burning fats to use as energy.

Remember, measurement is key. You wont know if you're going the right direction unless you know where you've started.

Good luck!

Jane Williams

Overall weight loss will result in an overall slimmer form. Targeted toning will certainly help, but full body weight loss will reduce the fat around your hips.