Hi everyone!
Im 20 years old 5'7 and weigh 180 pounds. Ive read a lot of reviews about the Dr Bernstein diet and frankly im confused. I want to reach anywhere from 110-130 pounds. I eat maybe one or two meals a day but there small proportions. I dont eat a lot of junk food. I may have a small piece of chocolate once in a while but thats it. Ive tried a personal trainer..I like to keep myself active by playing tennis, swimming..etc... but still havent seen any weight loss.
So i just wanted suggestions as to whether I should do the Dr bernstein diet.
Thanks..

It's just smoke and mirrors, it does not work. I rate it a 5 Star Money Scam

I did it, and it works, it requires discipline though, and you need to do the maintenance plan for at least a year afterwards, if money is not an issue, then it's great for quick weight loss.

The diet definitely works. It was designed for diabetics, but you should see weight loss if you stick with it. It is not smoke & mirrors. It is common sense.

1. Exercise more and try to get a very physical workout. Exercise at least 20 minutes a day.

2. Be very careful with the amount of carbs you eat and go low carb. Cut out the sugars and sodas. Eat a higher fat content (healthy fats). Eat green veggies.

Try Herbal One. It works!
You are over weight BECAUSE you ONLY eat 1 or 2 meals a day! Try 5 or 6!!!!!!

Well it helps to eat mutiple meals but they do have to be lower in calories too. It's not so much the benefit of helping metabolism as it does just making sure that you feel full all day. I always eat lots of carrots because that helps you stay full. What is this Herbal One you're talking aobut? I don't think I've ever heard of it..

Hi there,

Absolutely try the diet!! I am 5'6 I weighed 145 for years. I fluctuated up to 160 and down to 138 on my own. Then I tried Bernstein's and went from 148.9 to 132.8 in 6 weeks. It was seriously hard and took a huge commitment, but a year later almost to the date of completing my 6 weeks at Dr. B's I weight 134, live a healthy lifestyle and work out 7 days a week to maintain. This works - and because it's so expensive you stick to it! It's a great jump start.

My only warning is that you are reprimanded if you cheat as they test your urine. This caused a serious mental issue around eating for me with extreme guilt etc. and is something I still struggle with. If you have more confidence and more of a handle on your confidence then me, then this shouldn't be an issue.

Please do not consider this diet. I am a student studying to be a pharmacist and this diet is a risk to your health.

I once considered trying this diet. From what I read, it was low calorie, and weight loss is monitored by health care professionals, so I thought it should be pretty safe. There was otherwise very little information on the website.

When I went to the orientation, I was in a group with a teenage girl and a man in his 40s or 50s. The nurse outlined the same plan for all of us (not a good idea given the difference between us all). 800 calories a day (the recommended amount is 1800-2000 daily), 2 servings of grains, 2 servings of meat, 2 servings of veggies, 2 servings of fruit - you get where I'm going. You also require weekly injections of B6 and B12, calcium and potassium (I would never recommend extra potassium unless you are diagnosed low in the vitamin) supplementation and don't actually see a real doctor for a few weeks after starting the program. Once I saw what they were telling me to do, I left. Cost me $50 to see how horrible this diet was.

What you should do...What matters is how healthy you feel. Your BMI is 28.2 (overweight), but what matters isn't your weight, its your waist. A woman should be 35 inches around, and a man 42 inches. Waist circumference is a better measure of chance of long term health complications.

You exercise, which is great :) You should have 150minutes total per week of aerobic exercise you enjoy, which can be broken down into pieces as small as 10 minutes at a time.

1-2 meals per day is not enough. Don't starve yourself. Eating too little will actually lower your metabolism, because your body starts to break down its own muscle to feed itself. Less muscle means you burn calories slower. 3 meals a day with snacks in between is fine when you're trying to loose weight. Fill your plate with 1/2 the meal being vegetables, 1/4 grain and 1/4 protein(meat/meat-alternative). Follow those rules and you will feel good, and maybe even look good ;)

I completely disagree with this pharmacist girl
I'm currently on the diet and it works VERY well. I never have any of the "symtoms" that are all over the internet discussion boards (nausia, dizzyness etc)
The first month i lost 19.6lbs and this month in three weeks ive lost about 10.
You get injections of b6 and b12. You take a multivitamin and a potassium supplement.
There is very good reason for the potassium supplement, as will be explained to you by the doctor within ur first two weeks on the program.
It is VERY difficult to stay on track, its very strict. But its very much worth it in the end.

Also, 110lbs is not a healthy weight for someone ur height. You should be between 130 and 140. 110 is way too small!

I have done this diet and was very successful. However, unless you are committed it will be a waste of money. You have to give it 110% and realize that once you go off the diet (even doing maintenance) you will gain some weight back. It is up to you to maintain it and be aware of what you are eating. I have been successful in keeping my 50lbs off for a year now but have to watch it. As for the symptoms...they are there. Obviously it is going to be different for all but I definitely sufferred from very serious dizzy spells where my vision would even blur out. I was very nervous. They increased my potassium intake and I was better. Additionally, I stopped having my monthly cycle and had to stop the diet abruptly when I was 3 pounds from my goal. With that said as long as you don't go to extremes and realize that this diet is extreme but don't let it become an obsession it can be a great jump start to your weight loss journey.

I am on it right now. I was 444.1 pounds on March 1, 2011. It is now April 11, 2011 and I am 390.2 pounds. Just over 50 pounds in just over a month. I am never tired, nor hungry. What happens is you go into ketosis. Your body burns fat to give you the calories that you need to make up for the fact you are only taking in 800-1000 calories a day.

If you stick to the diet you stay in ketosis and keep burning fat. If you cheat even a little you stop burning and you don't lose weight. Every review of this diet that I have read that has been negative is either misinformed or bitter. The first group hasn't learned enough about the diet, the second group sounds like they cheated. It has to be 100% strict or it won't work.

If you are thinking of doing this diet, go for it, as long as you'll stick to it. If you won't, prepare to lose a lot of money.

Hi I started the Diet is April and have lost about 7 lbs, I found it really hard to stick, I really have to loose the weight but find myself having craving for food.  When I am preparing food for my family.  I find myself very nervous and snaps really quick.  Any idea, trip or tricks that would help me stay onl be motivated and loose the weight I am desperate and need to loose the 110 lbs.... over

I found this thread because I was considering Dr B clinics.  I've lost about 40lbs by myself but I've been stuck at my current weight for about a year and feel like I need some help to shed about another 20-25lbs.  What surprises me about the responses is that the people who are pro-Dr B are putting me off this diet more than the people who are against it!  Ketosis is not a good thing!  Urine tests are freaky!  800 calories a day is not enough - particularly for those who exercise as the recommended frequency/intensity.  This might be a good diet for people who are morbidly obese and need to lose a lot of weight quickly for health reasons, but doesn't seem to be for people with active lifestyles who just need to lose a small amount of weight.

I would not recomment Dr B diet.  It sounds like a very expensive low calorie diet to me.  If you want a simple low calorie diet then I recommend the R&D Diet Cookie.  It's one of those 'cookie diets' and it really works at cutting hunger and cravings so you can stay on a low calorie diet.  I combined them with a low carb diet and it worked wonders!

This is a good program. I just started one week ago and lost 6 punds already. Just make sure you only eat what they tell you. don't cheat yourself. It is healthy and guaranteed. My plan is to go from 270 to 165. I hope to lose them quickly :).